The revival of the little green bike that could

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 07:56 PM
1st Gear Member
Default The revival of the little green bike that could

Hey guys, I don't frequent this forum much, because I'm mainly on another forum, but considering Ive got a little green machine in the stable I think its time to start!

The low down
I bought my bike (2009 KLX 250s) in the Spring of 15' May to be exact, with 3,000 miles on it! She was mint, not a scuff on the plastics. I'm pretty sure it was never ridden off road. That all changed when i got my hands on the girl. Shes been rode hard and hung up wet. Back in August the bike was stolen, and recovered afterwards... The thief did the "works" to it. Spay bomb, Thrash, and repeat.. Luckily I got it back, I did as little as possible to get it back to being reliable / legal!

In the 7 months that I've had the bike its probably seen more trails, roads, and creek crossings then a lot of bikes see in a 3 riding seasons. In the many miles that shes been thrashed (5,0000) its always handled the beating, Up until now....

The Game Plan

I'm going to tackle the mechanical side of things first, and then worry about any aesthetics, or functionality features that I've been wanting to add/ change. So we will start off with those.

-Diagnosis / Address the following issues & problems:
  • Starting - before I adjust the valves, I was noticing an occasional starting problem. The bike would start to turn over, then backfire or pop, which in turn sounded like, and seemed like it was locking up the starter. Another member linked me to a post by Dan888, where he had a starter bushing failure. Ive got a feeling when I open up the Starter cover I'm not going to like what I see.
  • Clean - The bike has dust wedge in every little nook and cranny. The tacky spray paint over-spray isn't helping anything either.. So I'd like to a really good deep clean eventually, that will probably come later, than sooner. The two main things that I would like to get spotless are the Air box, and Carburetor. Both of which are embarrassingly filthy.
  • Damaged Parts ( Fix / Replace / Find more do the same)
- Front rim is bent, and dinged all over the place.. I ride fast, and hard, but I usually keep the pressure up pretty high so I can try to avoid this, but lately it hasn't been the case. The plan is to lace up a new rim, using the existing hub. Does anyone have recommendations for HD rims & spokes?
- The rear rim will probably get the same treatment as the front, it's also pretty beat up.
- Replace upper triple clamp with one that isn't cast with a notch for the key ignition barrel. That got deleted after I got it back from the bike thief. The old one has the front all broke off.
- Replace Foot pegs, shifter, and rear break pedal. They are all trashed, as well... . I know it's becoming the norm.
- Replace cheap cycle gear hand guards with Highway Dirt Bike Guards, & riser.
- Come up with a way to delete the speedo cable. I'm running a trail tech vapor now.

• Atheistic changes / functionality (Will be adding more to this later)
- Design, Mock up, and Fabricate a Nav Tower
- Design / make a custom Rally Fairing.

If you've made it this far, thanks for reading. The whole intent of this build is to make a long distance dual sport / Rally/ touring bike, that I can trash around on the open back country discovery routes, TAT, and PCQ type trails. I used to use it for trail riding, but I'll be picked up a lightweight 2 stroke for that type of riding from now on. So, we will see where this goes. I'm a 22 year old guy, who works way to many hours. I'm hoping that building this thing will keep my mind off a good friend I recently lost, and will get me out of the office a little more!

Cheers,
-Jordan

Last edited by gryphus1; 12-09-2015 at 08:06 PM.
Old 12-09-2015, 08:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Good to hear from you and hope you keep us updated on the work.

On the speedo cable, I removed the cable and put a cap with epoxy on the hub gear to keep water and dirt out and grease in. Are you thinking of trying something different?

Last edited by IDRIDR; 12-09-2015 at 09:00 PM.
Old 12-09-2015, 09:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey there.. How bout a recipe -
TCI - get the everything offered for the KLX250s, certainly the windhield..
PMR - take a look at thier racks.

Fuel capacity - you'll need extra capacity so you'll be needing one of the larger fuel tanks.

Engine mods - MCM (Marcelino Cam Mod), DJ jet kit 2152, extra DJ jets, Full FMF exhaust system with either Power Bomb or Mega Bomb. Set up correctly with these mods, you'll have the power for the freeway with the windshield and luggage. You may decide to install a Bill Blue 351 big bore kit. If so, all the mods above will work just as well on a 351 with the exception of the MCM. It is generally accepted that the MCM should not be used on the 351.. If you intend to travel over big elevations, perhaps install an InteliJet to keep fueling proper.

Possibly re-spocket the bike for the highway..

Report your adventures with pics/vids ...

Last edited by Klxster; 12-09-2015 at 09:09 PM.
Old 12-09-2015, 09:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
On the speedo cable, I removed the cable and put a cap with epoxy on the hub gear to keep the water out. Are you thinking of trying something different?
I was hoping to hear from wise individual, that would inform me which MX rim is a direct fit, It would be easier to source one of those.. I can build a wheel up, and cap the Gears on the Hub, But a NON speedo wheel would be a cleaner method. Less to worry about in the long run too.

Old 12-09-2015, 09:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Klxster
Hey there.. How bout a recipe -
TCI - get the everything offered for the KLX250s, certainly the windhield..
PMR - take a look at thier racks. I've never been a fan of racks, I like my trusty Giant Loop bag when I go moto camping!

Fuel capacity - you'll need extra capacity so you'll be needing one of the larger fuel tanks. I already installed an acribis 3.7 Gallon

Engine mods - MCM (Marcelino Cam Mod), DJ jet kit 2152, extra DJ jets, Full FMF exhaust system with either Power Bomb or Mega Bomb. Set up correctly with these mods, you'll have the power for the freeway with the windshield and luggage. The bike came with an FMF Q4 with a power bomb header.

Possibly re-spocket the bike for the highway.. Ive got a 13,15 front setup, and a 44 rear ( I think that's what Ive got on the rear.. I know I got those other two for the front)

Report your adventures with pics/vids ...
I'm too busy riding like a goon for pictures!

Old 12-09-2015, 09:24 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Old 12-09-2015, 09:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by gryphus1
I was hoping to hear from wise individual, that would inform me which MX rim is a direct fit, It would be easier to source one of those.. I can build a wheel up, and cap the Gears on the Hub, But a NON speedo wheel would be a cleaner method. Less to worry about in the long run too.
Hmmm. This is what I find in the FAQs. Any help?

Okay, so during my searching I have come up with the following part numbers:

2009 KLX250SF Black hubs:
Front: 41034-0043-18R
Rear: 41034-0053-18R

2009 KLX250S Silver Hubs:
Front Hub: 41034-0051
REar Hub: 41034-0044

2007 KLX250S
Front Hub: 41034-1243
Rear Hub: 41034-1216

Does anyone know why the hub part numbers changed for 2009?

They are unique part numbers that only fit S and SF models. Will 2009 S hubs fit on a SF?

The 2007 KLX-S front hub part number only fits '06 and '07 KLX250S models.

The 2007 KLX-S REAR hub fits TONS of different bikes. Here is the list:
1995-2006 KDX200
1997-2005 KDX220R
1991-1994 KDX250
1994-1996 KLX250R
2006-2007 KLX250S (Obviously)
1997-2007 KLX300R
1993-1996 KLX650R

Hopefully this list will help someone looking for wheels/hubs to build supermoto wheels or whatever.

Thanks,
Michael

Old 12-09-2015, 10:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Not sure what the ignition mount looks like on the "09" but I cut mine off on my "07" and filed down to smooth it out. Think IDRIDR did the same, I know he removed the ignition switch at least. I just sold a set of KDX 200 wheels that i had set up for dirt only for the KLX. I will look and link to the thread about that. I think it has some interchangeable years for our bikes. May be different for the "09"s on up. though. you can compare part numbers on OEM micro fiche on sites like bikebandit to see if years will interchange.
Good luck Dan

Old 12-09-2015, 10:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Every thread i ever started on here. https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...earchid=298732

sometimes its hard to find things but just about everything has been covered on here and is searchable.
My wheel thread with some info in it.
https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...-wheels-36873/

close to the bottom of this page are the re-worked wheels i sold off. This thread is another good resource for info on the klx http://advrider.com/index.php?thread...#post-26973513

Last edited by dan888; 12-09-2015 at 10:55 PM.
Old 12-09-2015, 10:57 PM
1st Gear Member

The wheels , and he has the bike set up somewhat the way you describe.

Name:  IMG_20150610_161042_zpsofcnpla7.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  293.9 KB

Quick Reply: The revival of the little green bike that could