A Little Help with Jetting?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 01:40 AM
1st Gear Member
Default A Little Help with Jetting?

So the bike's an 08 with the following modes, crankcase breather mode, air box screen removed running the stock air filter, air box lid on with the 300 snorkle, MCM, 40 pilot and screw out 2.5 turns, slide drilled, 128 Kawi jet, stock needle with washer, stock muffler with arrestor removed and uncorked with a 1" outlet. The bike runs strong but doggy below 4000 rpm. It actually run strong enough that I went back to my 14T sprocket. I did suspect a lean condition because it would hick up under 1/4 to 1/2 throttle. Today I installed a K&N air filter and rejected to a 130 Kawi jet then installed a klx300 needle and set the clip to the 2nd groove from the top. I no longer have the hick up and the bike seems to perform about the same, maybe a slight better. The doggy feel is still there below 4000. I was expecting a bigger change. I still can't pull a 1st gear non clutch wheelie. Did I go too rich and maybe install the 128 jet? I do have a klx300 full exhaust that I plan to put on in a couple of weeks. Is the doggy low rpm cause by a too small pilot jet or maybe turn the idle mixture screw out more?

Suggestions?

Last edited by Ruggybuggy; 09-06-2015 at 01:46 AM.
Old 09-06-2015, 02:25 AM
1st Gear Member

I have no idea what elevation(s) your running .. You should at least list a home town on your profile.. If the bike feels bad below 4K, there's certainly a problem - both overly lean and overly rich AFR's create a weakened TRQ curve down low and in the midrange...

The N1TC needle is a little leaner than the DJ and quite a bit shorter. Overall, not a big enough difference between the two to matter much.. So with elevation data, I should be able to get you really close to the correct setup - You'll have to order DJ main jets as I have no data on K jets and there is no reliable cross-reference between K and DJ main jets..

Old 09-06-2015, 02:57 AM
1st Gear Member

Opps! Thought I had everything. 1,500 feet. The DJ kit is not an option for me. No local supplier, Im in a remote part of Canada but we do have a Kawi dealer 200 miles away so l bought the Kawi jets.

Last edited by Ruggybuggy; 09-06-2015 at 03:02 AM.
Old 09-06-2015, 03:19 AM
1st Gear Member

Swap on the 300 exhaust and give it another run, there is no point tuning the carb now just to do again later. Does it rev slowly before 4k or stutter below 4k. Anyways, swap on the big pipe and report back.

Old 09-06-2015, 03:26 AM
1st Gear Member

Ok.. I'll assume your exhaust flows better than stock but less than a stock header + slip-on.. I'll assume your float level is correct..

Firstly, you'll need to redo the fuel screw. Your #40 pilot jet is pretty big for 1500ft.. Set the fuel screw a little toward lean from midway between idle drops. Or just back it out from the lean drop until idle returns to normal.

Next, the N1TC needs to be reset to 3N.

Next, I'll make an educated guess that the K128 would be a better choice than the K130.. But they are so close to each other that there would likely be very little difference..

Last edited by Klxster; 09-06-2015 at 03:28 AM.
Old 09-06-2015, 03:26 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MattyTracks
Does it rev slowly before 4k or stutter below 4k. Anyways, swap on the big pipe and report back.

Just revs slow up to 4 grand. No sputtering before or after the jetting. I did notice one my run today exhaust popping on decel but really doesn't bother me.

Old 09-06-2015, 03:35 AM
1st Gear Member

The power(TRQ) ramp-up only really starts to happen @ 3.5-3.8k, so I'm not sure how you"ve determined that it revs slow to 4k.. A snap and hold WOT from 3.5 - 4k should produce a big power surge that builds rapidly until somewhere around 7.5-7.8k then tapers toward 9k..

The decel popping is because you, no doubt, are still running the air injection system....?

As far as power wheelies in 1st, run my wheelie video on 720P so you can see my engine speed and MPH before each "snap to wheelie"..

Last edited by Klxster; 09-06-2015 at 03:38 AM.
Old 09-06-2015, 03:38 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ruggybuggy
Just revs slow up to 4 grand. No sputtering before or after the jetting. I did notice one my run today exhaust popping on decel but really doesn't bother me.
I'd try a leaner pilot/AF setting and/or 1 notch leaner on the needle.

Old 09-06-2015, 03:39 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Klxster
The power(TRQ) ramp-up only really starts to happen @ 3.5-3.8k, so I'm not sure how you"ve determined that it revs slow to 4k.. A snap and hold WOT from 3.5 - 4k should produce a big power surge that builds rapidly until somewhere around 7.5-7.8k then tapers toward 9k..

The decel poping is because you, no doubt, are still running the air injection system....?
The power just isn't there until after 4G then pulls well. Forgot to mention all the smog related "stuff" is in the garbage.

What position from the top is 3N?

Old 09-06-2015, 03:44 AM
1st Gear Member

More on the idle to 4k thing...
I assume you have bad throttle response in this range. The fuel screw, once set correctly, should improve low RPM throttle response - this is assuming your fuel level (float level) is within spec.. You certainly should verify float level is 17mm (plus or minus 2mm).. I think I remember 17mm as the target..?

Last edited by Klxster; 09-06-2015 at 03:52 AM.

Quick Reply: A Little Help with Jetting?