KLX250 won't start - no spark, no pump

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 06:00 AM
Default KLX250 won't start - no spark, no pump

Looking for ideas as my local dealer is not that hot so I'm on my own. This is a 2012 EFI Indonesia (no restriction) fuel injected version.

Chronology of events:
  1. Bike sat for a few months unused
  2. Battery died
  3. Replaced battery
  4. Bike started first turn of the crank, Ran great for a few days.
  5. Changed exhaust for an aftermarket full system
  6. Bike continued to run great for a day, started first turn of the crank
  7. Changed front lights
  8. Bike wouldn't start
  9. Disconnected battery, turned ignition on/off a few times
  10. Bike started immediately, but for the last time

Now:
On turning on the ignition I can hear all the usual relay clicks, but not the little whine of the fuel pump priming. On starting, bike turns over sharply but won't fire. No spark at plug. Tested the coil off the bike, no probs. Tested the fuel pump off the bike, no problems. Dealers computer shows no sensor errors (though I'm not sure they actually know what they are doing.)

So something is preventing the coil from receiving a current and also preventing the pump from pumping (but not the relay from clicking on.)

Any ideas?

*EDIT: should've mentioned, with ignition on there are no warning lights, but when turning the engine over on the starter the FI light flashes on/off.

Thanks for your help,
Tom

Last edited by Tom Way; 11-11-2015 at 09:46 AM.
Old 11-11-2015, 10:38 AM
1st Gear Member

Try putting the old headlight back on exactly how it came from standard and see if it starts?

Old 11-11-2015, 10:44 AM

Thanks for the suggestion PygmyGod. Tried that. Although it seems like quite a coincidence, I'm pretty sure it can't be the light unless someone can think of why the light would cause engine not to start? All front and back lights and indicators are working. Everything is working - just no juice to the coil and no pumping from the fuel pump when connected to the harness.

Would any of the sensors cause this to happen?

Old 11-13-2015, 08:53 AM
1st Gear Member

Have you made sure when you were removing the light in the first place you didn't blow any fuses?

Checked the manual to see what the flashing FI light means?

Roll start it?

Old 05-15-2022, 12:41 PM
Default Having this issue too on KLX300

Hi Tom,

I know this is an old thread but having this issue after i removed my tank from my KLX300 yesterday. I unplugged the wire to the fuel pump via the connector under the seat and all the fuel hoses and vent hoses and now the bike wont start. I did forget tot plug the fuel pump wire in on startup once and it came up with an error code fuel, and then i plugged it in and nothing. If you remember how you solved this issue of the fuel injectors clicking and the fuel pump not coming on, please let me know.

Thanks