Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 03:24 AM
1st Gear Member
Default jetting questions

usually I do some searching
I even remember once seeing on here which jets to use

but since im short on time I think I may be changing the exhaust finally
got my klx 250s brand new couple years ago, so now time for a change in sound

from what I remember the fmf q core with powerbomb was supposed to be pretty quiet

what I wanted to know, I think there was a jet set or something to buy as a kit

which one was it, im at sea level

thanks

Old 10-14-2014, 03:34 AM
1st Gear Member

Here is the PDF online for the kit you need.
http://www.dynojet.com/pdf/2152.pdf

You'll have to decide if your gonna run without the airbox lid. If you go with no lid, my dyno testing will give you something to think about - look below on my signature line for the links to a few of my dyno tests. We are at the same elevations...

Old 10-14-2014, 03:46 AM
1st Gear Member

thanks I actually just found that jet kit too

is this the same
not sure if shipping or whatever will bring them to the same prices
but I cant seem to find a part number on this ad
Dynojet Jet Kit - BikeBandit.com

also im looking at an ebay store for the exhaust kit

FMF FULL EXHAUST QUIET Q4 AND POWERBOMB HEAD PIPE 09-12 KLX250S KLX 250S 250 S

for $447
this seem like an okay price

Old 10-14-2014, 04:00 AM
1st Gear Member

Well Mike, I am not convinced that the MegaBomb or the PowerBomb are worth the money. As you probably have seen, I have both a DG-R + stock header setup as well as a full FMF (over $500) MegaBomb + Powercore 4.... Dyno testing shows the stock header +slip-on has a superior Torque curve to the full FMF system. The full FMF looses power over the stock+DG-R up to 6500RPM, then slightly improves power to redline. A total of about 1hp improvement up high but with more than that lost down lower... Not a good return on investment if you ask me. The slip-on (Quiet Core / PowerCore 4 etc..) is mandatory however.

Old 10-14-2014, 04:28 AM
1st Gear Member

ok well I can still use just the muffler on the stock header too correct

because when im pricing out buying both separately it seems like they are way more expensive then the ebay price I have

also the main goal was to have a quieter sound and it seemed like adding the power bomb also made it a touch more quieter from reading around

unfortunately my bike only sees high speed runs, like on freeways
no trails or slow rides so I was hoping to open it up a little more to have more power at top speeds
which I think on your graph it shows it doing that

Old 10-14-2014, 04:42 AM
1st Gear Member

If you ever plan to go to a larger bore, I'd say consider the DJ #2206 kit designed for the KLX300. The needle is more aggressive.

However, if you're only fwy riding, it may not be the best choice. Some guys stay all Kaw with the N1TC (IIRC) needle, which is adjustable where the stock needle is not. I have the FMF Q4 and PB. The PB may lower the sound, but if you're pinching pennies on the jet kit, do you really need it?

Good to see you posting again. Let us know how it goes.

Old 10-14-2014, 04:53 AM
1st Gear Member

you say pinching pennies on the jet kit
was that because I found one a little cheaper? it did not list a part number so im unsure if it was the correct one I needed

I ordered the jet kit from dynojet directly and it was $95 shipped
if I could of saved some using that other website I would of
but I didnt want to take the chance on getting the wrong one and having to return it

or are you saying the jet kit is not needed

Actually I dont usually buy jet kits I drill my own jets but recently I used all those size drills for a project and broke most of them
so I dont want to go through the hassle of seeing which ones are missing or broken its just easier to buy the kit right now

as its going to take much longer to rejet the carb then other bikes I work on
so I just want to do it once
and the fact it comes with another needle is a bonus if its needed or not I dont know
The last dynojet I bought years ago worked fine and I used all the parts it came with
but that was a dirt bike so I had no idea if I got any gains or losses from it
street bikes are easier for me to test out any gains or losses

plus I dont think I have spent any money at all on this bike yet but for the white body panels and tires since I got it new couple years ago
so its time for a little change

Old 10-14-2014, 05:18 AM
1st Gear Member

The jet kit is mandatory as far as I'm concerned. The components are designed together to work correctly out of the box.

The FMF slip-ons will work on the stock header if need be.. You are correct that the full FMF system with Megabomb shows an increase in power up high and a loss of power down low compared to stock header + DG-R slip-on... Since FMF states that the Megabomb is for low end power and the Powerbomb is for higher RPM power, I assume that would likely be the case.. I am running the MCM ( Marcelino Cam Mod ) so my TRQ/HP will diminish up high quicker than stock cam timings - so you are also correct that your bike could stand to gain even more HP up higher than mine.. Read CC_Riders thread-his bike is as yours is about to be...https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...-issues-42450/

Old 10-14-2014, 05:31 AM
1st Gear Member

what about air box cover
leave on or off
I know it will probably add alot more noise if left off
but that isnt a problem, im more concerned about actual exhaust noise levels as that easier to hear far away

couple motorcycle cops around here not liking super loud bikes

does the air box really restrict enough to matter
or just smarter to remove it and jet properly for that

Old 10-14-2014, 05:43 AM
1st Gear Member

It is smarter to remove it and jet for the increased airflow - At your elevation that will be stage 2 but using the #132 main jet and clip on the 4th notch down on the needle. However the bike will run fine by going standard Stage 2, it'll just make less HP.. 132/4n is still too lean (See my shootout dyno chart) but it's the best we can do with the kit.

Last edited by Klxster; 10-14-2014 at 05:48 AM.

Quick Reply: jetting questions