Hot Engine after hours of sitting?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 12:18 AM
1st Gear Member

So i did an oil change with original Kawasaki engine oil, Oil level and coolant level seem fine. Everything seems to be normal no leaks of oil or coolant. Yet i still have the hot engine problem which doesn't seem normal at all. Anyone know what could be causing it?

Old 07-07-2015, 02:40 AM
1st Gear Member

Some possibilities:

Radioactive decay... Yeah, that's it... Run a Geiger Counter over everything..

Your fuel is still burning in the engine, even at night when it's sitting in the living room.. Turn off the gas - that'll do it..

Some KLX's have bad Karma - Chant this mantra to the bike every night - "OH MANI PADME HUM". Pretty soon, it will become enlightened and stop being so hot-headed..

But Seriously:

Find out exactly how hot the engine oil is getting so that you'll know if the coolant system is functioning correctly - A infrared thermometer used on the casing somewhere that will indicate oil temp?
Research the forum for coolant system failures and faults..

Last edited by Klxster; 07-07-2015 at 02:51 AM.
Old 07-07-2015, 02:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Klxster

Find out exactly how hot the engine oil is getting so that you'll know if the coolant system is functioning correctly - A infrared thermometer used on the casing somewhere that will indicate oil temp?
Research the forum for coolant system failures and faults..
Yes, it's hard to make suggestions without more specific info. When you check temps with the infrared thermometer (available fairly cheaply at Harbor Freight) measure temps at hoses going into and out of the radiators to help determine if there is some kind of blockage inside.

Old 07-07-2015, 06:48 PM
1st Gear Member

I would guess if oil temps SOAR over coolant temps, there could be a coolant system issue..

Old 11-04-2015, 02:47 AM

Dear Colleagues,

Since I bought my KLX250s I have been so curious why the motor irradiates so many heat to my right leg, specially when I run in low RPMs. Are you experiencing something similar?, can you feel the motor heat in you legs? is the main frame warm due to the motor heat?.

Thanks a lot guys in advance for your inputs.

Old 11-05-2015, 12:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by HornedF
Dear Colleagues,

Since I bought my KLX250s I have been so curious why the motor irradiates so many heat to my right leg, specially when I run in low RPMs. Are you experiencing something similar?, can you feel the motor heat in you legs? is the main frame warm due to the motor heat?.

Good sir, it isn't wildly said, but inside the KLX250S there is a small nuclear reactor! SHH!! Don't tell anyone!

Sometimes though the reaction chain gets a bit out of control. The best fix for this is to first drain all your oil out and replace with DISTILLED water. Next take and drain all your fuel out of your tank, and carb bowl. Fill this with vinegar. Take your spark plug wire off and crank the bike till the battery goes dead. This should sufficiently cool the plutonium rods.

Now you can refill and ride like normal. But be careful, because you don't want to cause a meltdown. Remember Chernobyl(you may be too young for that)

Old 11-06-2015, 01:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by HornedF
Dear Colleagues,

When you say low rpms you are also suggesting low speeds. The way the engine dissipates heat is to pass it off to the air flowing over the radiators -- and lower speed means less air volume over the heat-exchanging surface.

Solution: speed up.