hey guys im new here!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 08:28 PM
1st Gear Member
Default hey guys im new here!

hello everyone! im seriously considering picking up a new on off bike. the yamaha price is kinda in its own league. in comparing the honda and the kawasaki the kawasaki seems to be the better way to go.

a little background on me im 5'9" 160lbs. ive actually never had a bike before. ive always rode quads. i have a 01 blaster thats all raced out and a 05 z400 that i bought and got screwed on (needs an engine rebuild) i plan to fix the motor sometime this year hopefully.

like i said ive never even ridden a dirt bike and it makes sense to me that a 250 would be a good choice so i dont die lol. im 33 so i dont bounce as good as i used to.

any advise would be great. i really like the idea of just driving around on the street and if i feel like it hoping on a trail. is there any reason i shouldnt go for a 2014 or a 2013 i gotta check out the dealers and see what they have. also is there any mods that i should do right away? ie like are they lean outta the factory or something.

anyway im thinking this could be alotta fun as long as i dont go skipping across the pavement or wind up being a hood orniment lol. take care, Mike

Old 03-08-2014, 08:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Welcome ! The KLX is a carb'd bike and really "plugged up" from the factory. Break it in carefully. Put on a performance slip-on ( I like my DG-R, and it's only $150, but loud.) , the Dynojet kit (As per instructions.), perform the MCM (Marcelino cam mod), pull the airbox lid off and you'll have a completely different bike - see my mods below. It is a foolproof way to get big gains in power with one long days' worth of work.

Last edited by Klxster; 03-08-2014 at 08:53 PM.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Oh, and I believe the KLX250S is the perfect bike for a beginner. it is very capable offroad(especially with a good set of tires), will easily hit 85mph with our forum mods, and VERY CHEAP to insure.

Old 03-08-2014, 08:57 PM
1st Gear Member

I started on motorcycles with a klx250sf, with only mountain biking experience under my belt. Great bike, fantastic bike. Cheap to maintain and own, fun to ride and crash, only downside can be power once you start to get more experienced, but good ol' bill blue has a 331 and 351 big bore kit for you when you're ready.

Old 03-08-2014, 08:57 PM
1st Gear Member

thank you for the welcome. how fast do they go outta the factory? i was reading about the cam mod. i dont see me messing with that right now. i might in time though. im not afraid to take brand new stuff apart. i usually end up modifying everything i own at some point. (i have ported pro level chainsaws hahaha) but anyway i was thinking of just cruising around and maybe some intake/ exhaust mods for now. easy non super involved stuff like that.

does the slip on make a difference or is it just louder? i know on my z slip ons dont do anything but make noise. id like it to have a good sound but i dont wanna blow out my ears all the time. thats why i put electric cutouts on my charger best 500 bucks i ever spent!

Old 03-08-2014, 09:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Yes the slip on and the dyno jet kit make a big difference. The DG-R is 100db... probably not as loud as your racing quad. The other choices can be more quiet but are more expensive. Matt and I wouldn't have anything but the DG-R,, right Matt?

Last edited by Klxster; 03-08-2014 at 09:18 PM.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by skelator
thank you for the welcome. how fast do they go outta the factory? i was reading about the cam mod. i dont see me messing with that right now. i might in time though. im not afraid to take brand new stuff apart. i usually end up modifying everything i own at some point. (i have ported pro level chainsaws hahaha) but anyway i was thinking of just cruising around and maybe some intake/ exhaust mods for now. easy non super involved stuff like that.

does the slip on make a difference or is it just louder? i know on my z slip ons dont do anything but make noise. id like it to have a good sound but i dont wanna blow out my ears all the time. thats why i put electric cutouts on my charger best 500 bucks i ever spent!
Klx250s is the perfect bike for a beginner. It was my first bike ever and I think it was a wise choice. There's nothing wrong with riding it stock for a while. I've had mine for a year and a half and haven't done anything to it besides a jet kit. It will do about 75mph give or take in stock form.

Old 03-08-2014, 09:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Ok,, the MCM is involved... so here is the link for drop in performance cams for our bikes.
Web Cam Inc. - Performance and Racing Camshafts / Kawasaki KLX 250 SF (09-10) DOHC 4v Timing Card

Old 03-08-2014, 09:41 PM
1st Gear Member

sounds good guys. is the stock jetting ok the way it comes or should i play with it? ive run the air box vents as well as no lid at all on the blaster. how does this bike respond to the vents vs no lid at all?

Old 03-08-2014, 10:09 PM
1st Gear Member

I tried pulling the lid when my bike was stock.. what a mistake that was. Horrible growl from the retarded cam timings and terrible effects on the Air Fuel Ratio (AFR) that made the bike too sick to ride.

Quick Reply: hey guys im new here!