Hello....long time lurker

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 06:18 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Hello....long time lurker

Hi Everyone!!

Been lurking here since I bought my KLX almost 2 years ago, but just wanted to say hi and thank everyone for indirectly answering all my questions on the many mods I have enjoyed doing.
I have got to know this bike fairly well (because of you), and maybe I can help others in the future.
There will still be many tweaks, and probably many questions in the future.

Did I mention that I love this bike!!!!!!

Thanks to all.

Chris

Old 07-30-2014, 07:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Hi Chris, I'm in Ft Langley and we just bought a '13 KLX, new to us anyway.
I'm getting it configured to fit the wife for mostly off-road riding and I was wondering which pegs you've found that work well for standing and how you like the 13 tooth front sprocket?
I find the bike a little soft on power(compared to my beloved DRZ...and we have the jet kit, snorkel and Q4 installed) but the handling light, flickable and very well mannered. I'm just installing components that will lower the front 1.125" and the rear about 1.25".....hoping this won't hurt the nice handling??

Old 07-30-2014, 09:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Hi Angier, congrats on the purchase.
I put on the DRC footpegs but have yet to test drive as the bike is in a disassembled state right now.
Love the 13T but it all depends on your riding style. Great for the single track uphill climbs that I do a lot of. Using 2nd gear a lot more, the 47T on the rear also helps with this. Kinda sucks on the pavement though as I'm always looking for another gear.
As far as power, I can still keep up to a lot of the bigger bikes I ride with, and since I'm only a 5'8 lightweight its more than enough for me....
Have you ridden the Chilliwack area before? I'm a DSBC member and there are always some great weekend rides here. Check out their website:
DualSport BC Forums
Cheers

Old 07-31-2014, 05:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the info, yes been a member at DSBC for quite some time. I don't go to events and do most of my off-road riding in the Shuswap Lake area. I have heard that Tamihi, Vedder, Chilliwack offer some of the best off-roading in BC. Might have to check it out this fall when I bring my DRZ and the KLX back to town for winter maintenance. Which, ha-ha, will probably be an oil change, battery charge, drain the carb, kick-the-tires, if they're lucky.
So, mind me asking how you like the Edge tailight and why the KLX is in boxes?
Greg
PS: My edge light is so dim it really only works at night

Last edited by Angier; 07-31-2014 at 05:48 PM.
Old 08-01-2014, 03:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey Greg, yeah Chilliwack has a lot of great riding, its why I bought the bike.
The group here does a lot of new trail building and a lot of trail maintenance mostly in the Tamahi area. Tons of variety around.
My Edge seems to work just fine, I don't think its dim but that's just from me standing behind the bike. Mine is usually covered in mud anyway.
Just putting on new rear tire, brake pads(bleeding lines is a bitch), clean air filter, remove backfire screen. Getting ready for the Loose Screw ride in Kamloops next weekend!!

Old 08-06-2014, 04:04 AM
1st Gear Member

Cachnutz, I thought my LED tailight was great too, til I rode behind it and was quite surprised. I think a firefly puts out more light than mine, even with the brakes on. Voltage appears to be OK. Guess I don't spend much time on the street anyway.
How's your Shorai standing up.....I'm still a little on the fence as to whether I'd recommend it or not. Sure spins the motor fast, but loses quite a bit of its ooomph if I leave it connected for over 3 weeks.

I've been riding an area not too far from where the Loose Screw fellas have laid out their rides and the dust is getting pretty bad, you might want to prep for that. What ride class you running? First time riding in the Kamloops area? Expect HOT...and DUSTY!!

Need a little rain up here, improves the tire grip too!

Last edited by Angier; 08-06-2014 at 04:08 AM.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:01 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Welcome Lurker Chris....hmmm that sounds creepy..LOL So you've been spying on us for two years? Are we going to have to get a restraining order? hahaha