Bluetooth Helmet - Made it Myself

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 01:05 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Bluetooth Helmet - Made it Myself

I turned my Scorpion helmet into a bluetooth helmet for under $40 a few weeks ago.

I bought the Sony SBH20 bluetooth headphones (for the bluetooth adapter) for $20 on Amazon and then an over-the-ear set of Sony headphones at Best Buy for $19.

First, I disassembled the Sony headphones and mounted the speakers with velcro inside the ear cups. I tucked the extra wire behind the padding in the back of the helmet, and then ran the headphone jack behind the cheekpads to the bluetooth adapter, which I mounted near my chin. I added small pieces of velcro to the important buttons on the adapter (like volume and track advance) for ease of finding them while riding.

So when I leave for work or any other destination, I turn on the bluetooth adapter, and music / GPS directions from my phone feed right into my helmet. Works great, especially when the GPS reroutes because of traffic!!

I keep the music volume kind of low so I can hear what is going on with the traffic around me, but I turn the GPS volume up so I can hear the turn-by-turn directions clearly.

I can also hear when my phone rings (and even have the option to answer it, because there is a microphone in the bluetooth adapter). But I don't dare take advantage of this feature, as I think talking on the phone while riding is very distracting.

What a great project for the DIYer!