Big Als Blog

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 04:31 PM
1st Gear Member

i was getting 41 mpg to 46 mpg before after jetting and tuning...i had a opportunity to run the bike with a "sniffer"..found out i was running a bit rich....my a/f was at near 2.5 turns....i actually have it dialed down to just a touch over 2 turns now with a dj132 main jet...runs great and great mpg now...

Originally Posted by NorCalKLX
Really? My bike gets about 45, I don't think I ride it terribly hard but I do let it idle while I suit up almost every time. I corrected the speedo so it's dead on.

Thanks for the info on the plastics. Makes me feel like I'm less crazy. I didn't over do it on the fasteners so hopefully I won't have issues later. I guess making a metal tank would be to expensive or heavy for most guys. I love fit and finish and great quality but I know anytime you stray from stock or oem, being "bolt on" goes out the window.

Old 02-11-2014, 08:02 PM
1st Gear Member

I'll have to look into that. I can't remember what DJ jet I'm running now. Either 128 or the 132...but I'm pretty sure I'm running 2 3/4 turns out on the mixture. I think when I did the stage 2 mods it said 2.5 to 3 so I just set it in the middle and left it. I'll have to futz with it tomorrow and see...

Old 02-12-2014, 04:27 AM
1st Gear Member

Ok so two things...last week I removed my snorkel and I think it helped a pinch. As of now my bike has a FMF Q4, Twin Air, snorkel removed and a DJ stage two with 128 main and mixture screw 2.75 out. Honestly it runs pretty well, I just can't imagine I killed the fuel economy 10mpg by doing those mods, the speedo has been corrected since day one as well so I'm pretty sure I'm not overlooking anything.

What fuel grade do you run? You must be getting 55ish mpg still if you hit reserve at 150 or so. At 45 mpg I have nothing to complain about but I just like having range to explore...

End rant...

Old 02-13-2014, 01:47 AM
1st Gear Member

Ok, ran my bike on the sniffer and the CO is about .75 at idle and 1.5-2 at 5k. I wish I had a dyno to load it up some but I'm just going to leave it and see how it goes.

When I put the stock snorkel back in both readings went up about .75 or so indicating its richer with it, makes sense, I guess it really does flow more with out it. Or at least it changes the dynamic of the air flow enough to effect the Venturi effect in carb.

Old 02-13-2014, 02:28 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

What is the biggest tank you can get for the 2006 and not have to deal with the gas getting stuck in the lower wings? I'm seriously considering a large tank.

Old 02-13-2014, 02:47 PM
1st Gear Member

I think the IMS tank for your years holds a pinch more, 3.1 or 3.2 gallons and I'm pretty sure it doesn't have any funky wings that hoard the last bit of fuel. You can also check Clarke too see if they have one.

Old 02-25-2014, 03:47 PM
1st Gear Member

So my fuel economy went up. I've been running the bike with all the mods but left the stock snorkel...well recently I decided to remove it. Needless to say the bike breathes a lot easier, 6th gear pulls a nice roll like 5th use to...no down shifting as much now and I still ride it the same but it's a pinch less boggy. I went from 43-45ish mpg to 51-52 now. With the new tank I hit reserve around 135-140 miles and had .6 left when I filled up. It's safe to say I've got a solid 150 mile range if not more. Super stoked on my bike! I love it.

Old 08-12-2014, 01:37 AM
1st Gear Member

I figured I'd move my MCM questions to my blog so I don't hog up a good sticky. Anyway...

My first impressions were so so. I didn't bother to touch the carb because I had no idea what to expect. After a few days into it and after many carb suggestions and tuning, thanks again, it's finally close to an improvement. My seat-o-pants dyno can't tell much. It seems with my current 132 main, 4th clip down, FMF Q4 and air lid removed has yielded the best results.

The low end seems to be a pinch boggy if I really whack the throttle but delivers fine with a really fast roll on to WOT. Going up hill above 4.5k seems to have more pull and passing traffic seems to be easier. To some degree I'm wondering if I'm just expecting to much from the stock CV style carb.

Mechanically I know I'm on the money as far as timing goes.

What are your guys experience with initially doing the mod? Anything else I should tune or try?

Does anyone know of a place that dynos bikes in the SF Bay Area?

Thanks again!

Old 08-12-2014, 03:53 AM
1st Gear Member

Ok good.. You have an AFR that should mimic mine (perhaps a little more lean than mine due to your cooler air) - It's still going to be lean - 13.8 to 14.2 up to about 6k rpm and then a little richer than that up to cutoff. This is all we can do until I can test a DJ # 134 main jet.
If the bike bogs a little or every now and then when you nail WOT from lower RPM's , you can go back to the regular Stage 2 clip position. That will raise your AFR to the 15:1 area up to 6k rpm and cost you a little TRQ low and HP up high but it should not bog anymore.

Old 08-12-2014, 04:04 AM
1st Gear Member

It certainly would be nice to get a Dyno test done to verify my testing here in Texas. You should have charts that are pretty close to mine on my thread of the FMF vs DG-R shootout.
We are going to have to figure out how to properly fuel these uncorked MCM bikes with the CV carb. I intend to get a DJ #134 main jet and dyno test.. It may be that a carb change (TM36-68) is all that can be done. Problem with the TM is that I don't think anyone has AFR charts to support jet/needle/pilot jet selections.

Quick Reply: Big Als Blog