General Motorcycle Discussion Have some questions or information about riding that is not tech? Here you go!

Vulcan Knocking

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 12:33 AM
Default Vulcan Knocking

Hi, My wife has a 1997 Vulcan 1500 Classic. She hasn't started it in about 3 weeks. I went out to start it today and the oil and Temp lights came on and would not shut off. The bike started making a klacking or knocking sound. Any ideas what may have happened?? It was fine when it was put away 3 weeks ago.

Doing a little research, I have found that the oil pump gear is plastic and they have a tendancy to fail. Could this be the problem? Also some have said that Kawasaki will fix the problem at no cost reguardless of how old the bike is. Is this also true? Thanks for any input.

Last edited by xkikbxr; 11-29-2010 at 12:43 PM.
Old 12-01-2010, 12:27 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Hmm, first thought was fuel leaking into the cylinders after sitting for so long. The oil light will stay on if there is insufficient pressure, yes. (50-64psi @2000 engine warmed up.) Which could be caused by all of the oil settling after 3 weeks and needs to run just a couple of seconds to send the oil. (check the pressure pg 6-10) The oil filter bypass may also cause an issue as in being stuck. Just tossing things out there to check first before tearing into the Plastic Gear theory. What oil viscosity and info on the last change? Good luck and keep us in the loop. Welcome to KF.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:18 PM
Default Vulcan Knocking

Originally Posted by Dragone#19
Hmm, first thought was fuel leaking into the cylinders after sitting for so long. The oil light will stay on if there is insufficient pressure, yes. (50-64psi @2000 engine warmed up.) Which could be caused by all of the oil settling after 3 weeks and needs to run just a couple of seconds to send the oil. (check the pressure pg 6-10) The oil filter bypass may also cause an issue as in being stuck. Just tossing things out there to check first before tearing into the Plastic Gear theory. What oil viscosity and info on the last change? Good luck and keep us in the loop. Welcome to KF.
Thanks for the reply. The oil was changed about 1500 miles ago. That was one reason for pulling the bike out and warming it up. I was going to change the oil again for winter storage. The oil is 10w40 and I run a Purolator filter Gold. The oil has always been checked before each ride which is funny because we rode down to TN over labor day and before we left the bike was about 3/4 qt low. I topped it off and had no other problems. I pulled it out the other day and it was 1/3 qt low. To use 1qt of oil in 1500 miles is unusual for this bike. It can't hurt changing the filter though to see if it's the bypass. I hadn't thought of that.

I contacted both the local Kaw dealer and Kawasaki corporate. The POG program ended last year. The Kaw dealer wants between $1600 - $2000 + to repair the bike. This is just the gear repair, if any other damage was done during running of motor then it's extra.

I found the guy in Georgia that makes the JOG (Judges oil gear). I emailed him but as of yet he hasn't gotten back to me. The Kaw dealer also told me that for $500 - $600 the would replace the POG with the JOG but there wouldn't be any warranty on the work preformed because it isn't a certified Kaw part. For that amount of money I can do the work myself.

I've worked on Honda's, Suzuki's, Yamaha's and Harley's I've just never worked on a Kawasaki. One thing I really think is strange is...Why would anyone setup an oil pump system with a plastic gear knowing that the whole engine would have to be disassembled to change it? All that just to get to a keeper ring.

Old 12-03-2010, 06:09 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

How was the Oil Pump Screen? Did you clean it as well? I agree. (I did not know of a plastic pump gear and thanks for that learning curve). But to split the case just to replace it. wow.

Old 12-04-2010, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Dragone#19
How was the Oil Pump Screen? Did you clean it as well? I agree. (I did not know of a plastic pump gear and thanks for that learning curve). But to split the case just to replace it. wow.
I'm waiting for the service manual to come in. Like I said I'm not up on Kawasaki motors. I didn't even know you could pull the oil pump screen with out right side disassembly. If there a plug? where is the location of this screen and do I have to drain the oil first to check it? I suppose I could post some pictures and get a better idea from the pros on here.

Thanks again for any help you can provide.

Old 12-06-2010, 01:40 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Name:  VN1500-1.jpg
Views: 1184
Size:  127.7 KB Name:  VN1500.jpg
Views: 789
Size:  126.3 KB

Old 12-07-2010, 04:26 PM

Dragon #19, Thank you for the specifics. I am planning on doing this within the next 2 weeks. I'll keep you updated.