Sat for 6 years Kawasaki EN500-C5 (2000) Vulcan 500 LTD

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 09:14 PM
Default Sat for 6 years Kawasaki EN500-C5 (2000) Vulcan 500 LTD

It is really very simple. I was almost killed on my motorcycle about six years ago. After that I left it sit. Now six years later I am looking to get it running again.

Moved past the fear I guess. Anyway here is my problem. When I put the bike away it was fine. I go and pull it out and one of the half moons on the head gasket is hanging out of the bike. There are four of them if that helps. Now how did that happen just sitting? Was it left under pressure and just gave at that point in the gasket?

Now I have a new gasket on order. I should have it in a few weeks. While I wait I have rebuilt and cleaned the carbs. Cleaned the gas tank. Removed and rebuilt my starter. Had bugs living in my right handle controls. Had to take that all apart, clean it, and rebuild it.

Now I am doing all of this at home. Will I be able to do the cylinder head gasket with the engine still in the bike? Also if I can, do I need to use any special compound or additional gasket sealer stuff? Looks like it is there on the old gasket. I will see what I can do about posting a picture later today or early tomorrow.

Other then that I would like to ask for advice or suggestions for getting the motor that sat for 6 years ready to run.

TY in advance!

Last edited by Baronthefirst; 04-17-2013 at 02:50 PM.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:53 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Do not use additional head gasket sealer. This affects compression, piston squish tolerances. New gasket, torque and re-torque per the manual. I also prefer new bolts since kawi bolts are soft and stretch so bad.

I go and pull it out and one of the half moons on the head gasket is hanging out of the bike. There are four of them if that helps.
As in this fiche picture? Kawasaki Motorcycle Parts 2000 EN500-C5 Vulcan 500 LTD CYLINDER HEAD COVER Diagram

Welcome back to the world of riding again.

Old 04-17-2013, 02:56 PM

Yes in that very picture. Now I do see what looks like gasket compound already in the area this piece of gasket fell out of. I wonder if it was holding it in and with age lost grip. That makes me mad to think the dealer could have sold me the bike years ago with the gasket bandaged.

I mean how else does a part of a gasket just pop out of a bike not running for years? Makes me almost want to go right to Kawasaki and complain. Guess I would if I thought it would do anything.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:55 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

That valve cover gasket tends to leak if not maintained to begin with. The stock bolts hardly ever get torqued to the proper specs and the bolts themselves are maybe a grade 2 bolt. Nothing to write home about. The new gasket is the correct way to fix this/your aged sitting ride. I like to use a thin film of sealer to one: hold the gasket in place and two: to assist in flexibility for better sealing since I do not trust the stock bolts. Actually this is similar to a ford pos valve cover gasket. Too tight: it leaks. Too loose: it leaks.