Newbie, just got a used 2007 ZZr

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 02:14 AM
Default Newbie, just got a used 2007 ZZr

Hey guys, I would appreciate any help you could give me/any advice.

The story is, I just got this bike last friday, took the class, I shift around 5-6 rpm, very rarely 7-8.
In any case, went to school to work out, afterwards I was about halfway home when my bike just lost power, I pulled over and it died. Well I think the problem was I left the choke on, so it flooded it. So I tried to start it several times not knowing thats what it was. It would crank but never roll over. Finally 30 minutes later I got it. Well, I rode it for about a mile then it did it again, my friend was on the phone with me, he walked me through, told me when to give it throttle (sad to say, very new) Anyways, it got home fine.
I rode it to work, everything seemed fine, the next day. I woke up this morning and I let it warm up, I tried to give it some throttle and it just completely died. I started it, then the rpm's seemed to act up, just almost like it was really kinda being choked out, just wasn't getting enough, I'd turn the choke all the way on and it'd shoot up to 5 or so, play with it for a bit, but once I give it throttle it dies back out. I don't know whats wrong with it, might call the dealership, but I'm a little scared they won't help me, you go somewhere and buy something, you sign papers that usually protect them...so I dunno we'll see but damn I've only rode 95 miles on it...just literally started riding it monday. I can't ride it now because it dies, I spend the money on this because it was for school and work transit, not to rely on my old truck...so this is kinda a blow to me and hopefully it's just a newbie mistake that can be fixed easily. Total it has 6800 miles on it.

I hope you guys have some ideas, and keep in mind, obviously from the story I'm a complete newbie to this, you have to start somewhere. Thanks guy, very much.

Last edited by Jedi73; 01-25-2010 at 02:32 AM. Reason: extra information
Old 01-25-2010, 02:54 AM
1st Gear Member

Welcome To Kawasaki Forums.
They're a lot of Good Members Here and they will do there Best to Help You out with Your Questions. Sometimes It Takes A Little Longer Then Others. So, hang-in there.

Old 01-25-2010, 02:57 AM

thanks buddy.

Old 01-25-2010, 04:06 AM
1st Gear Member

Welcome to the Kawi Family!!! How long are you letting it warm up??? how does it run once it is warmed up???

Old 01-25-2010, 04:14 AM

Well it seems fine, I try to keep it around 2-3 rpm during warm up, I watch the temp, not sure how hot it should be, but usually I give it a minute or 2. Once I try to throttle it some, it just dies right out. I tried it when I got home today, I didn't let it warm up too long, I was just curious to see if I could give it throttle at all...but nope.

Old 01-25-2010, 04:54 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

cleaning the carbs is not a big deal, but who knows what is in the carbs or if they were even synched correctly. Check your choke adjustments first, then maybe hit up the carb cleaning and inspection after that. Good luck and welcome to KF

Old 01-25-2010, 05:02 AM

thanks man, I'll try and figure that out. Appreciate it.

Old 01-25-2010, 05:02 AM
1st Gear Member

if your bike is still that new I would take it bake to the stealership and have them check it out...

Old 01-25-2010, 05:12 AM

lol, yeah I'm going to give them a call tomorrow, just wondered if it might be something I could do without driving it 30 miles to the dealership....bleh. I'm a college student and work at a retail pharmacy, wheres the time? Again thanks for all your suggestions, I'm actually a pretty good guy, just frustrated with this happening 4 days into riding.

Old 01-25-2010, 05:20 AM
1st Gear Member

stealerships have been known to mess up from time to time...most of the time you are lucky if they put the wheels on the right way! After they fix their mess up find yourself a good local mechanic...if you take care of your ride you should have to see the inside of a garage for some time

Quick Reply: Newbie, just got a used 2007 ZZr