Laid my Bike Down

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 02:26 AM
Default Laid my Bike Down

Tonight I was going to play some Tennis at the local park, and after riding for a bit, I went in to park. The 6 Inches of gravel looked okay to go 10mph through, but consequently my back tire slipped out from under me and bam!

Cracked shifter cover and a scratched fairing. It's leaking oil as I type this, so I ask how much would a shifter cover cost? And how about the scratched fairing? Any way to fix those without replacing the whole fairing?

I'm okay by the way. Had all my gear on and I didn't even feel it, but my ego is more banged up.

Old 01-20-2009, 04:51 AM
1st Gear Member

Do you have Pic of the damage?

Old 01-20-2009, 01:41 PM
1st Gear Member

well i do body work on cars every day and ive done aluminum, carbon fiber and fiberglass repairs and its relatively simple. Id assume plastics are the same way. you can:

1. get a sticker/decal to cover the scratch depending on how big it is.
2. get some touch up paint that matches, fill in the scratches with a toothpick. ( they will probably still be noticeable up close tho)
3. go the long route, sand the paint use small amount of body filler then repaint whatever color scheme you want.

and i cant imagine a shifter cover costing you to much, id grab a used one off ebay if you can. even if you cant the zzr6 is to the zx6r same as the chevy cobalt is to the corvette. so its still gotta be cheap .

glad your ok, gravel is never fun to pick out of your skin.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:20 AM

I can't get a picture since I don't have the means. I guess I didn't say any specifics. I have an '08 ZZR. The Stator cover is cracked and leaking oil bad, the crash wasn't bad at all, hardly touched my fairing now that I see it in the daylight. My stator cover took about three feet of asphalt/gravel and the full weight of the bike. Do you think my Kawasaki dealer would have a stator cover?

Old 01-21-2009, 02:36 AM
1st Gear Member

Glad your ok, Gear is a Must at ALL times.

Old 01-21-2009, 03:18 AM
1st Gear Member

dealer will probably have to order one and charge some rediculous fee or something im not much for the stealerships. look around, dealership should be the last place you go lol. If your in a rush tho, i guess it would be the quickest route. Did a quick ebay check, its running around 80-90 dollars i think. do it yourself and you wont get charged for the labor

Last edited by S0NIC; 01-21-2009 at 03:21 AM.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:48 AM
1st Gear Member

That sucks! Sorry to hear that. I laid my bike down about a year ago. Don't feel alone, it happen to just about everyone at some point.

Old 01-22-2009, 03:09 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Glad you're ok there man. A bike is a lot easier to fix than we are.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Don't feel too bad about it. Chances are, you aren't a real rider until you've been down. As far as the parts you need, definately check eBay.

Old 02-05-2009, 02:19 AM
1st Gear Member

Man, I guess I'm not a real rider yet lol

Quick Reply: Laid my Bike Down