Sights 'N Sounds Upload and Post Video and Sound clips here. This forum is for video's pertaining to Kawasaki's, Racing (Street/Strip), Interviews, and Off Topic.

First tour on the Versys

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 09:17 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default First tour on the Versys

Since getting my '08 Versys back in June, I haven't had the time to take it on any long rides. I've been commuting on it back and forth to work, plus an occasional trip here and there, but nothing major. After working 12-hour days the last few weeks, I decided to take some vacation time and go for a ride.

My Dad knows all of the back roads in and around the State Forest and PA Game Lands, so I asked if he'd go riding with me. He's hunted in that area his whole life. Dad has an '03 Yamaha XT225 that he loves to death.

Our ride started near Brockway, PA where the old Game School buidlings are. They used to train all PA Game Wardens here, but now they do it in Harrisburg. These roads weave in and out of PA Game Lands, so one minute you're in deep woods, the next you're by old farms.

Almost all of these roads are tiny, one-lane affairs. Most aren't even paved, just tarred and chipped. The Versys handled this stuff with ease. The rear suspension was a little taught for these roads, but I think if I reduce the preload a little, it will smooth out. Still, these roads were a a lot of fun.

After miles of woods and large farm fields, we happened upon this Amish school house. There aren't many Amish in this area, but there are a few. Right after passing the school house, we passed a field with Amish farmers cutting hay - with scythes!

Me on the Versys and Dad's 225. This place is called the Elk County Elk Farm. They raise elk and sell the meat, hide, and antlers.

Elk meat self serve? As my dad asked, "What's in the cooler, a gun and a knife?".

Sorry for the crappy pic, but these elk were about 300 yards away. They keep the bulls and the cows separate. I don't know where the bulls were that day. When the bull's antlers just start shedding velvet, they cut them off with a handsaw (no kidding!). They sell the antlers to the Case Knife factory in Bradford, PA. This is one of the places where "stag" handles come from.

The elk farm is near Portland Mills, PA. It's a town of 2 house and 17 dogs. I'm not sure how we got here, because a lot of the roads weren't marked. Dad was in his element though, so I just kept on following.

From here on, we followed the Clarion River.

The next stop was a place called Arroyo. The town of Arroyo doesn't actually exist anymore. It was a logging town during the early 1900's. All that's there now are a bunch of camps, and this bridge.

Moving on, we headed down so more State Forest roads. This is a spring that just sprouts out of the mountain. The water was unbelievably cold!

Here we are just outside of Hallton, PA, another tiny old logging town. From here we decided to head into Cook Forest State Park. As soon as we crossed the bridge, it began to pour! And pour! And pour! I didn't get the chance to take any more pictures.

Once at Cook Forest, we decided to take the main routes home. Total trip distance was 181 miles. The Versys did everything I bought it for and more easily. What was even more impressive to me was that my 60-year-old Dad made the trip on an XT225 without any problems or complaints. We both had a blast.

Old 08-04-2008, 10:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Hell yeah mang.. Nice pics reminds me of home here in WV...

Very nice report,, THANKS

J-Rock!!

Old 08-04-2008, 10:33 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Awesome man, that looks like a ride I would have done. Oh and I sat on a bike like yours a week ago, and it was the most comfortable for me. I liked the way the bars came back to me not the other way around. Thanks for the pics there man.

Old 08-04-2008, 10:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Is that a 2003 XT 225 that was with ya?

Old 08-04-2008, 10:34 PM
1st Gear Member

Slap a set of DS tires on that bad boy and you'll be golden.

Old 08-05-2008, 12:41 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Thanks guys! Yeah, that's my dad's '03 XT225. He has almost 12000 miles on it, and it's still going strong.

The seating position is one of reasons I bought the Versys. I wanted a bike that I could have fun on the curves, yet be able to ride back and forth to work and be comfortable enough to take on a trip like that. The more miles I put on it, the more I like it.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:12 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

yea that versys is nice... cool pics man.

Old 08-05-2008, 05:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Looked like a great trip with some really nice scenery. Thanks for posting the pics.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:12 PM
1st Gear Member

nice pics. still never seen one of those bikes in real life yet

Old 08-13-2008, 05:17 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Great report and pics, Mike! We need more of these like this.

Quick Reply: First tour on the Versys