Big bore klx clutch springs

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2018, 04:11 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Big bore klx clutch springs

You tube mr duhfactor has videos on his klx build up ‘katsumi’ is the name of his klx. One deals with a slipping clutch after big bore installation. Barnett part # 501-40-06017, they are 38# springs vs 25# stock springs.

Last edited by RaceGass; 03-29-2018 at 04:14 PM.
Old 03-29-2018, 07:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for that!
I forgot I was going to have to change out the springs.

Old 03-29-2018, 09:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MaximusPrime
Thanks for that!
I forgot I was going to have to change out the springs.
Your welcome. The big bore kit does have an impact on other components and their weaknesses. Nice to have a real solution.

Old 03-30-2018, 03:06 PM
1st Gear Member

I have used the Barnett springs with my BB331 and have been real pleased.

More the reason for my posting is the side note that when I installed the complete Barnett Kevlar clutch, using their frictions, plates and springs, I was experiencing a bit of squeal or howl when I needed to slip or modulate the clutch in soft stuff or dicey slow terrain. Has anyone else experienced this with the Kevlar frictions?

The details. I installed the Barnett kit just prior to running the IDBDR. It was real hot and we were running long hours in the seat, though not much clutch work at all. At that time, I was running my normal Rotella T6 15w/40. Prior to installation, I soaked the frictions in oil overnight. Upon returning from the trip, I drained the oil and put the ol' reliable Castrol GTX 10/40 and still experienced what sounded like a dry clutch squeal. I really sounds like your bike is screwed up when in town and leave a stop light. Pulled the clutch apart and ran a Scotchbrite pad over the frictions although there was no obvious glazing on the surfaces at all. Back together with fresh Valvoline 4-stroke 10/40 (had some around), same results.

Currently have the expensive Barnett frictions and plates on the shelf, and am running a $50 EBC Dirt Racer kit with the Barnett springs - works!

FYI and curious if anyone else has encountered this? Does the KLX motor feed less oil to the oil-bathed clutch than other motors?

TC

Old 03-30-2018, 03:54 PM
1st Gear Member

I have used the ebc dirt digger clutch kit (springs and fiber plates) with mixed results . The plates worked fine but the springs seemed to go soft after a short time. Then I used Barnett spring kit 501-40-06043 which lasted but still slips slightly on the top of 5th n 6th gears. I’m doing 06017 Barnett springs kit on both the klx’s

Old 03-31-2018, 04:11 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm running three stock and three EBC clutch springs that are for the KTM 950 adventure (the Barnett 501-40-06017 are for the same bike). I also have the EBC dirt rider clutch kit. It seems to work fine however I'm tempted to try all six of the spring for the KTM 950. The engine/oil needs to be up to operating temperature as well (I'm running 10w40).

Old 03-31-2018, 05:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Punched in the part number to find out what applications those updated springs fit. Shows it fits a 81-84 atc 250r.....,
I used to race 85-6 atc250r/86-89 trx250rs and I just found a bunch of clutch springs for it. I’m going to try n see if they will work

Old 03-31-2018, 05:34 PM
1st Gear Member

Pilfered something off the old gal
Fed ex showed up the one hour I left my house yesterday. Didn’t even hide the box behind the planter on the porch akmost like it was left out in plain sight on purpose. Grrrrrrrr idiot
The klx mounting kit parts $118
That bolt on tower will never be manufactured again I was informed by Scotts performance. Their guy got injured significantly and is in a care facility and will never again be able to work. Bunmer
The klx250s mounting kit arrived from Scotts performance. So i scavenged the extra Scotts stabilizer off the non running ‘07 te450 Husky. Gonna let my friend run it till she finds a deal on one.
She took the bike this weekend to ride, so next week when I get the bike back I’ll install it.

Old 03-31-2018, 05:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by SuperMo
I'm running three stock and three EBC clutch springs that are for the KTM 950 adventure (the Barnett 501-40-06017 are for the same bike). I also have the EBC dirt rider clutch kit. It seems to work fine however I'm tempted to try all six of the spring for the KTM 950. The engine/oil needs to be up to operating temperature as well (I'm running 10w40).
glad to hear of your positive experience running those springs. I found some atc/trx250r springs I’m going to try.

Old 03-31-2018, 05:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by timc63
I have used the Barnett springs with my BB331 and have been real pleased.

More the reason for my posting is the side note that when I installed the complete Barnett Kevlar clutch, using their frictions, plates and springs, I was experiencing a bit of squeal or howl when I needed to slip or modulate the clutch in soft stuff or dicey slow terrain. Has anyone else experienced this with the Kevlar frictions?

The details. I installed the Barnett kit just prior to running the IDBDR. It was real hot and we were running long hours in the seat, though not much clutch work at all. At that time, I was running my normal Rotella T6 15w/40. Prior to installation, I soaked the frictions in oil overnight. Upon returning from the trip, I drained the oil and put the ol' reliable Castrol GTX 10/40 and still experienced what sounded like a dry clutch squeal. I really sounds like your bike is screwed up when in town and leave a stop light. Pulled the clutch apart and ran a Scotchbrite pad over the frictions although there was no obvious glazing on the surfaces at all. Back together with fresh Valvoline 4-stroke 10/40 (had some around), same results.

Currently have the expensive Barnett frictions and plates on the shelf, and am running a $50 EBC Dirt Racer kit with the Barnett springs - works!

FYI and curious if anyone else has encountered this? Does the KLX motor feed less oil to the oil-bathed clutch than other motors?

TC
I never had slippage issues till I installed the big bore kit. The extra power showed the limits of the stock clutch. FYI never run synthetic oil as it’s to slippery. Damhik
i have used a barnett clutch kit and heard that squeal you mention. I think it went away with use. Cause I don’t remember going back in and replacing them right after installing.
i haven’t heard any one posting on clutch oiling issues.xr650 owners racing Baja would drill the fingers on the clutch basket to improve oil flow to the plates to help cool the clutch plates. But I haven’t thought this bike needs that just springs

Last edited by RaceGass; 03-31-2018 at 05:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Big bore klx clutch springs