2018 KLX250, We're Baa-ack

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 11:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Got a pic or build thread?

Old 09-23-2017, 12:24 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klxnoobie
Yeah it's the same bike Kawasaki's been selling to the rest of the world. So maybe we're catching up with the rest of the world or Kawasaki finally ran out of carb bikes to send to the USA Would have been nice if they'd done suspension upgrades and a little lighter weight instead of gaining a few pounds.
I really don't think the bike gained any pounds. They are weighing different than in the passed which is stupid cuz it makes the bike "seem" heavier when it may not be. They're just confusing people that aren't paying attention to details. They are now giving the weight "With" all fluids including almost (90%) a full tank of gas. Unlike before in the passed I'm pretty sure it was dry weight. Yeah, kinda makes it confusing and harder to compare to other years. I'm sure it's a little different due to carb vs EFI components. Someone said battery may be larger/heavier due to EFI, perhaps, but unlikely. That being said, how much of a difference in weight if any? In my opinon, IF it is heavier, it wouldn't be noticeable to the rider at all.

Last edited by Werloc; 09-23-2017 at 12:31 AM.
Old 09-23-2017, 12:50 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by sphen
Got a pic or build thread?
No, not yet, still in thought process, but in Heavy though. I'm a few months away from getting started and start looking for the bike to build off of. Once I get that bike, the build will start. It will be a slow build maybe a year or 2. I'm very **** about perfection, so that always requires extra time....LOL I've been wanting to do this and started gathering parts, etc some time ago, but lost everything when my shop was under 12' of water for 4 days during the hurricane Irene flood back in 2011. So now I'm starting all over from scratch again.

Here's something very close to what I had and plan to build on ebay. I have tons of idea bike pics as well. Already sourced most of my parts, etc. When I start, I'll have a build thread on the XS650.com forum.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/263221286151

Last edited by Werloc; 09-23-2017 at 12:55 AM.
Old 09-23-2017, 01:18 AM
1st Gear Member

You might like what I'm playing with still... 25 years along...

This was the mock up. Now has proper silver frame, don't bother saying you like black... I'm a Bultaco guy and silver is what a flat tracker should have. But I need to get wiring and the rest done.

I had a tail mocked up like a Honda RS750, but decided to go with the pre-XR750 style with the rear fender.

I'm hoping for spring '18

Last edited by klx678; 09-23-2017 at 01:26 AM.
Old 09-23-2017, 05:02 AM
1st Gear Member

Nice man. What bike/engine/size/year is it? Thought it looked like, well, Can't put my finger on it. And no, I don't like black either. I was thinking silver or a tad darker like a light gray color frame like my old Champion Racing frame was. Hit the wall hard (bike not me) and tweeked that frame and replaced it with a Cheney frame I got from a fellow racer. That one was just clear coated steel. Love that look. I'd be lucky to find a race frame these days not being involved in racing at the track anymore. Don't have the contacts anymore. You could find everything in the pits. I can't afford much new stuff, my build will be on a budget. Even if I found one I could afford, the shipping would kill it. Unlikely I'd find one local. I don't need it for street anyway. At 55, my racing days are long behind me...LOL

Yeah, that bike looks great. I'm not a fan of mag wheels though, to modern lookin for me...LOL But it does look good. Is this build something you work on here and there whenever you have time or in the mood? I guess so if its been 25 years. Thats cool, mine may be just like that, but not 25 years cuz I won't live that long....LOL Seriously. You can get a Motone Tracker Seat tail piece new on ebay for $120ish if your lookin for something else. There's also others on ebay as well decent prices with various styles, etc. I was thinking of mocking one up on the bike with wood, cardboard, etc, then sculpting over that with clay or paper mache, then making a mold of that to layer up inside of that. Just so I can say, I made it myself...LOL But not sure what I'll do yet until I really get started. So far, I'm pretty sure I'll get a fiberglass tracker gas tank from Omars Fiberglass. I have yet to find a bike that has a tank with the right look. But, you just gave me an idea. The dealership I worked at for 12 years sold Bultaco's way back in the day. We sold and stocked parts for almost all of the euro dirt bikes. That's what we specialized in. Anyway, I always loved the old aluminum kinda squared off tank of the early bikes. I remember we had about 10 of them hanging up in the loft above the parts dept. Either that or the older classic Husqvarna tank with the polished steel knee section/patch on each side. Those tanks had a nice shape as well. Hmm, you got me thinkin now....

Here's some links incase you don't already know about them. I have tons more, but you prolly know them too. Anyone building or owns a tracker should have.

VFT Flat Track Products

Omars Fiberglass Company

Last edited by Werloc; 09-23-2017 at 05:56 AM.
Old 09-23-2017, 06:19 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nikolaj Lykke
As far as I know there are no known examples of fuel injected KLX351's running.

There are plenty of KLX292 and KLX331 running though.

I used to have a Euro KLX with the 292cc kit and have spoken to several people with KLX331. Most people use use EJK or Powercommander to get a mapping that works.

Not sure if the US is just getting the Euro/Asia KLX or if its an entirely new injection system.
I too haven't heard of anyone running EFI with the 351. But I do recall someone mentioning that Bill Blue said he's sold a number of 351 kits to overseas markets with the EFI KLX. I believe on this forum. But who really knows.

From my personal experience, I believe it can. I had some initial problems with my 331 kit install. I narrowed it down to pretty much the EJK controller. It just wasn't supplying enough fuel. The unit I had was programmed like any other for the 331 kit according to EJK. I sent it back and they found a "map" (or program or whatever) for the unit from Japan that supplies WAY more fuel. When I plugged that in it worked perfectly. Out of 10 possible fuel levels (in half step increments) I'm sitting at 2.5 for the fuel settings. With the bike running I've slowly increased the numbers to see how the bike reacts. (can the FI continue opening?) The idle just kept dropping lower and lower with each step until I reached 10. Pretty much wanting to stall towards the end.

I have no idea how much fuel is being supplied at level 10, but assuming this thing is already giving more fuel than a standard 331 program and the injector appears to be giving more fuel up to level 10 on the controller, it seems to me that the FI could handle the 351.

Hell, maybe what I bought second hand was the 351 kit! (no really, it's a 331 according to the paperwork and comparing pictures on the Internet) Still makes me think there's some underlying problem with my bike...that or EJK fed me a line of BS...

Last edited by outrecording; 09-23-2017 at 06:21 AM.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Werloc
Nice man. What bike/engine/size/year is it? ...
1978 Yamaha SR500. Has a Wiseco 528 piston and a dirt track cam with a 38 Mikuni round slide and the home built pipe a friend and I did. I don't particularly care for the mags, but it's also about money. Doing spokes would cost more than the project to this point and it won't be in the budget since it is a budget build and the budget flat trackers would run mags if the price was right... they'd run whatever did the job for the best money.

I did ride it as a mostly stock SR, then around 1994 I started playing with it and just haven't finished it since. Fun rides though primitive as heck.

I wanted to try to do it as close to flat track as possible in hopes of maybe doing some playing on dirt and on ice. No racing, but playing. I need to hurry it up a bit since I will be hitting the big six five next summer.

Old 09-23-2017, 01:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Werloc
No, not yet, still in thought process, but in Heavy though. I'm a few months away from getting started and start looking for the bike to build off of. Once I get that bike, the build will start. It will be a slow build maybe a year or 2. I'm very **** about perfection, so that always requires extra time....LOL I've been wanting to do this and started gathering parts, etc some time ago, but lost everything when my shop was under 12' of water for 4 days during the hurricane Irene flood back in 2011. So now I'm starting all over from scratch again.

Here's something very close to what I had and plan to build on ebay. I have tons of idea bike pics as well. Already sourced most of my parts, etc. When I start, I'll have a build thread on the XS650.com forum.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/263221286151
i meant pic or build tread of the kx fender conversion

Old 09-23-2017, 06:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
I wonder what is so hard for them to cause them to not make the plastic look like the KX motocrosser. They make the sport bikes look like what is racing, why not the dual sports.
x2. I avoided the US second gen models for the plastic and lower suspension. I don't know how easy it would be to swap the bodywork from a first gen or KLX300R, but that's one of the first mods I would make.

Old 09-24-2017, 02:56 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by sphen
i meant pic or build tread of the kx fender conversion
Um, no, not of that. It's pretty straight forward though. Just buy a 2005-09 KX250f/450f rear fender in the color you want. Either UFO brand (the one I got), Acerbis, Cycra, ONE, or any other brand. It requires a lot of cutting, trimming and fitting, but take a little off at a time and keep test fitting until you like it. On mine, I could have matched it better at the back of seat, but if I did that, the fender was to short for my liking. All the pics and mods of my bike are in the link on my signature below. Just click the "My Bike Pics & Mods" link below. It's always there. You can see it there along with some of my other mods, pics and ride videos. I went with white cuz my bike had red plastics when I did the fender. The fender took me about 45 minutes to do.

Quick Reply: 2018 KLX250, We're Baa-ack