2018 KLX250, We're Baa-ack

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 03:58 PM
1st Gear Member
Default 2018 KLX250, We're Baa-ack

How about the new KLX? Any body got the scoop? Looks like they dropped the "S".

Is the injection system the same as what's been on the Euro model for years?

Can you add a BB 351 cylinder and keep the injection?

https://www.kawasaki.com/Products/2018-KLX250

Last edited by Oldad; 09-21-2017 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Added link to Kaw website
Old 09-21-2017, 04:24 PM
1st Gear Member

WOOT!!! Fantastic news! So happy I bought my 2014 and that 4 years later they're making them again. I don't have any feelings of obsolescence now. I am pretty sure I'm going big bore, not sure if I want KK nikasil or BB 351. I DO want Bill Blue's 33/34 flat slide carb though. Regarding the 2018 fuel injection, I would guess it's the same that has been spec'd on the European/Asian bikes.... Did I read on here that it was hard to mod for big bore?

Old 09-21-2017, 10:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, I just came here to post this, but you beat me to it. Here's a different one about it.
Same old bike with EFI, that's it.

BTW, They never stopped making them. Just stopped selling them in the US FYI.

Kawasaki Brings Back New and Improved KLX250 Dual Sport - ADV Pulse

Last edited by Werloc; 09-21-2017 at 10:44 PM.
Old 09-22-2017, 01:35 AM
1st Gear Member

OUTSTANDING!

Now we move into the arena of EFI re-mapping and tweaking! I wonder if the fueling and ignition systems are both on the ECU ?

Old 09-22-2017, 10:19 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Werloc
Yeah, I just came here to post this, but you beat me to it. Here's a different one about it.
Same old bike with EFI, that's it.

BTW, They never stopped making them. Just stopped selling them in the US FYI.

Kawasaki Brings Back New and Improved KLX250 Dual Sport - ADV Pulse
Yeah it's the same bike Kawasaki's been selling to the rest of the world. So maybe we're catching up with the rest of the world or Kawasaki finally ran out of carb bikes to send to the USA Would have been nice if they'd done suspension upgrades and a little lighter weight instead of gaining a few pounds.

Old 09-22-2017, 02:30 PM
1st Gear Member

didnt the kawi site say they improved the suspension? whatever that means

Old 09-22-2017, 02:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Well, it's already adjustable from the start. Maybe they're actually setting them up for the average size North Americans and like individuals instead of only light weights... but I doubt it.

I wonder what is so hard for them to cause them to not make the plastic look like the KX motocrosser. They make the sport bikes look like what is racing, why not the dual sports. Another challenge not met. Instead we get a rear fender/tail light that looks like it should be on the back of a 1935 Auburn roadster.

Old 09-22-2017, 03:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678

I wonder what is so hard for them to cause them to not make the plastic look like the KX motocrosser.
I've toyed with the idea of fiberglassing a nicer back end for the little guy, but i'd hafta move the exhaust down low (like a flat tracker) and relocate that behemoth of a battery. would be pretty sleek though.

Old 09-22-2017, 04:57 PM
1st Gear Member

As far as I know there are no known examples of fuel injected KLX351's running.

There are plenty of KLX292 and KLX331 running though.

I used to have a Euro KLX with the 292cc kit and have spoken to several people with KLX331. Most people use use EJK or Powercommander to get a mapping that works.

Not sure if the US is just getting the Euro/Asia KLX or if its an entirely new injection system.

Last edited by Nikolaj Lykke; 09-22-2017 at 05:00 PM.
Old 09-22-2017, 11:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by sphen
I've toyed with the idea of fiberglassing a nicer back end for the little guy, but i'd hafta move the exhaust down low (like a flat tracker) and relocate that behemoth of a battery. would be pretty sleek though.
Why not just replace the rear fender with a KX fender. I did and it looks much better. My opinion, the bike is to tall for a flat tracker rear tail. Then again, when I was racing flat track it was on converted street bikes. Not like the lowered MX bikes like today. For me, thats not a flat tracker. But who the hell am I...??...LOL

BTW, I'm also toying with fiberglassing a flat track seat & tail piece, classic old school style. But not for my KLX, I'm planning to build a tracker with an XS650 like I raced back in the day but street legal. Be a great local hooligan bike for toying around town. Planning to sell my KLX in a few months for a euro 300 2-stroke, so lookin for a street bike. I prefer buildin my own. I just haven't worked with FG in so long. Thinking of working from a mold so outer layer is gel coat.

Last edited by Werloc; 09-23-2017 at 12:03 AM.

Quick Reply: 2018 KLX250, We're Baa-ack