Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

This is why I will never take my KLX motor apart UPDATED! I'm a retard

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 11:26 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: This is why I will never take my KLX motor apart

UPDATE: DEEJ IS A RETARD!!

OK in the picture above where the hole in the toilet is and I thought it was the cause of the running toilet problem, well it turns out that if I would have read the next paragraph in the troubleshooting chart, it mentions that the cartridge might need adjusted, but I stopped at replacing the cartridge, and then when I saw the hole I thought it was a broken piece, well after filling the thing with epoxy, two hours later I went to install the other one back on the other toilet where I had borrowed another tank, and I noticed that there was a hole in that one too, DOH!!!

It was then I realized that the water was supposed to go out the hole, so picture me with all the dental like tools and a dremel and any other tool I could think of getting the epoxy back out, it took me at least 30 minutes to get back to square one. When I installed the tank back on and the cartridge it was then I noticed in the troubleshooting chart that to turn in the cartridge until one thread was showing and then turn 1/4 turn and pause, then another and pause and so on until the sound changed and the tank started filling up. So all this time it was just a cartridge out of adjustment.[:@]

Two years ago I replaced all 7 of the tanks with this new style as the old ones were no longer available or any parts for that matter. Sheesh, well I certainly learned a lesson today, always read ALL of the instructions.

Old 02-15-2008, 11:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Oh and here is a picture of the tank.

Old 02-16-2008, 12:00 AM
1st Gear Member

That's such an awesome move Deej... way to go. Happens to the best of us.

Old 02-16-2008, 12:43 AM
1st Gear Member

The way I figure it, if I write about my mistakes, maybe I'll remember them later.

Old 02-17-2008, 02:32 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

easy money. usually every site i work at we do all the piv,both pumps and smoke detectores. i even had to drain and refill the systems daily for construction purposes. my new site i don't touch none of it, cuz we don't own it. we have land lords[&o]
ORIGINAL: deej

ORIGINAL: hoedogg

looks like my day tooyou did test the electric jockey pump too right deej??
No I don't have to test that, it gets done by a testing company annually, along with the sprinkler system, the fire panel, the back flow devices and the hood suppression system in the kitchen. But I do run the pump at least once a month just to make sure it will start. That Detroit Diesel is 14 years old and its only got 53 hours on the meter. If that was a MX bike it would need rebuilding already.[8D]

Old 02-17-2008, 11:59 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

jeese deej if you take all that stuff apart, and with the job you have you would think you wouldnt mind tearing into the klx... im a cad operater and i tear into them....

haha look what i forgot was in my acct.....
Name:  poster18450654.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  71.3 KB

Old 02-17-2008, 05:19 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Deej, I'm surprised you don't do more mechanical work considering your job. My job doesn't involve this stuff in any way shape or form, but I guess I'm not afraid to dig in there because I know I can fix it if I break it. It's just nuts and bolts, right?

The KLX:

The KTM:

But I do usually manage to get it all back together. Except that one time my timing chain dropped off the lower sprocket and I didn't have the gaskets I needed to remove the right side covers in order to dig in there and put it back on. The shop bailed me out on that one. Even so, it was still cheaper than having the shop do the whole job.

I didn't grow up doing this stuff either, first time I dug into an engine was when I bought my KLX and did my first valve check. I'm a weekend hack at best.

The KLX guys think I take all these photos for their benefit. The real secret is that I use them to put my bike back together when I get stuck.

Old 02-17-2008, 05:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Look ... a typical KTM napping &trying to get out of riding. lol

Old 02-17-2008, 05:31 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Ha ha. It's been a very reliable bike so far. My next bike will most likely be another. Or maybe one of those new Husabergs if they decide to dual sport them.

Old 02-17-2008, 06:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Well if the dollar keeps declining....ya may be lookin at a Gas Gas

Quick Reply: This is why I will never take my KLX motor apart UPDATED! I'm a retard