Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

Why?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 05:38 AM
1st Gear Member

What's the problem with 2up riding?

Old 03-29-2009, 03:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by srobak
What's the problem with 2up riding?

uuhhhh let me think??......

IT ISNT SAFE!!!!!!!!

think about it, if I really have to explain it then you're a moron!

Last edited by pipedown; 03-29-2009 at 03:39 PM.
Old 03-29-2009, 03:59 PM
1st Gear Member

sniff** sniff**

i smell a **** storm coming, grab your umbrellas.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:22 AM
1st Gear Member

F*ck an umbrella, I'm going to the cellar!

Old 03-30-2009, 03:33 AM
1st Gear Member

It's not the fact that it's two up riding... it's the fact that he got clocked at 110 mph with his young son on the back of the bike!

Old 03-30-2009, 04:04 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by pipedown
uuhhhh let me think??......
IT ISNT SAFE!!!!!!!!
think about it, if I really have to explain it then you're a moron!
Resorting to personal attacks will not gain you any points with me - or anyone else here for that matter.

That being said - as someone with 20+ years of riding a variety of powersports machines with passengers - so long as you are a competent rider yourself, and you take the time to properly introduce and educate your passenger on how to ride and be a good passenger and communicate to them during - it is no more dangerous than flying solo.

If you dispute that - well - then I advise would look at your own riding abilities before criticizing the safety level of a sport that has been enjoyed by couples (and more) since the very creation of the motorcycle.

And if I have to explain that to you deeper than that - then you are simply narrow minded.

And that's all I have to say about that.

Old 03-30-2009, 05:59 AM
1st Gear Member

Resorting to personal attacks will not gain you any points with me - or anyone else here for that matter.
good thing I am not looking to be your little forum buddy. You'll have to point out where I made the personal attack. I am curious to know?

That being said - as someone with 20+ years of riding a variety of powersports machines with passengers - so long as you are a competent rider yourself, and you take the time to properly introduce and educate your passenger on how to ride and be a good passenger and communicate to them .
it is no more dangerous than flying solo. .
WRONG, its alot more dangerous.

If you dispute that - well - then I advise would look at your own riding abilities before criticizing the safety level of a sport that has been enjoyed by couples (and more) since the very creation of the motorcycle.
And if I have to explain that to you deeper than that - then you are simply narrow minded..
well then I guess I dont know wtf I am talking about. Heres my take!

Here ya go Snowflake.

Fact! two up riding isnt safe.

As a rider things can happen that are out of our control and adding a passenger only complicates things. Riders have a choice to make whether to be safe or stupid while on the saddle. I have been down twice both were situations that were out of my control, the first one nearly killed me. Had I have had a passenger with me, it probably would have killed that person too. Its not a question whether the rider is capable of safely operating the motocycle with his or her passanger but the elements of danger that already surround a motorcyclist. Now add a passenger to that equation.....pfff no thank you!

I dont need to worry about my ability to ride two up. I just dont it. Its not safe, it doesnt make me operate my bike any safer and it wont help me avoid a dangerous situation any faster. It will only add to the risk for a bad situation to present itself.

Fact.

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_11978660?source=bb

I can post up story's like this one above all day. Again, whether a rider carrying a passenger decides to ride like an idiot or ride responsibly, doesnt change the fact that it isnt safe. Schitt going hit the fan either way eventually.

So I will finish up with my previous post as stated clearly " I dont belive in two up riding" why????

because it isnt safe!

It doesnt help the ability for any rider to safely execute decision or inputs to avoid a dangerous situation. That applies to all aspects of execution.

one thing I dont not believe in is two up riding on motorcycles. Im barely ok with two up on a goldwing.

Last edited by pipedown; 03-30-2009 at 06:08 AM.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Wow... I never really knew how much I was putting my life in mortal peril when I put my wife (who is also a rider) on the back of my bike! The problems IS NOT that he was riding two up. The problem is he had his kid on the back of the bike at high speed. That article you posted? That doesn't mean shyt. It even says on it that neither of them was wearing a helmet, and he lost control approaching a turn at high speed. It also doesn't mention how much or little experience he had as a rider. My parents get on their Harley Road Glide and ride across the country at least once a year. They have tens of thousands of miles on that bike from two up riding. I go pick my kids up from school every now and then on the bike. The difference is, I don't ride like a jackass when I have a passenger. Your post, Worlock, is roughly the equivalent of the NHTSI report that says sportbikes are more dangerous than other types of bikes because more people get killed on them per registered sportbike. That left out the fact that they didn't take into account the age and experience level of the riders that were killed, or how many of those wrecks alcohol was a factor in. Take an honest look at the REAL facts before you go spewing the kind of BS that you posted here. There is nothing wrong with 2up riding as long as you understand that the bike is going to handle differently, and you need to leave more room for emergency maneuvers and slow the frack down! I can sum up your arguments in one word... FAIL!!!

Old 03-30-2009, 02:42 PM
1st Gear Member

You'll have to point out where I made the personal attack. I am curious to know?
Although I already quoted the pertaining part... so be it:
you're a moron!
-----

WRONG, its alot more dangerous.
I'm sorry you feel that way, but that doesn't make you right.

I guess I dont know wtf I am talking about.
In this instance, I would have to completely agree.

Here ya go Snowflake.
Again with the personal attacks. If you cannot have a discussion or debate in a civil manner kindly STFU.

Fact! two up riding isnt safe.
Oh - there it is. Damn - now you have convinced me.

As a rider things can happen that are out of our control and adding a passenger only complicates things.
Then by default - riding solo is equally unsafe. The addition of a passenger only complicates things if a) you are not a competent and responsible rider and b) your passenger is not a good passenger and/or not properly educated in being one. If an accident or situation outside of your control occurs - then it is dangerous to 1 rider just as it is to 2. The addition of a 2nd person on the bike makes it dangerous to *that person*, it does not make riding more dangerous on it's face. Big difference there.

Riders have a choice to make whether to be safe or stupid while on the saddle.
This again does not change just because of the addition of a passenger. The rider still has that choice, and if they choose to be stupid then yes - I fully blame them. By the same token - if the passenger doesn't start beating the shyte out of the back and helmet of the operator to get them to stop, slow down, or otherwise behave - then I fault them as well. Riding stupid isn't safe on it's face- and in fact is far less safe than having a passenger. The comparison you are trying to make there simply doesn't exist. Riding stupid is unsafe - regardless if you are flying solo or have 10 passengers, and the exact same correlation can be made about you driving a minivan... Driving like a dumbass in a minivan alone is not safe. Adding 5 passengers and driving like a dumbass is equally unsafe. Driving responsibly with 5 passengers is not nearly as unsafe as previous - however things can and do happen outside of the drivers (and passengers) control. This does not make driving with 5 passengers unsafe however.

Its not a question whether the rider is capable of safely operating the motocycle with his or her passanger but the elements of danger that already surround a motorcyclist.
Again these elements exist regardless of passenger or not.

Now add a passenger to that equation.....pfff no thank you!
I understand where you are coming from with this - it is a MAJOR undertaking to be responsible for the life and safety of someone else when they are riding with you. They have no choice but to trust you - so it is up to you not to violate that trust and ride responsibly, and be 100x more aware of everything going on around you than you already were before when flying solo. Hell yeah it is a big deal, and it makes me that much more cautious of a rider when I do it. But just because you are unable or un-willing to take on that responsibility does not mean that the activity is unsafe. Sorry - that is just flawed logic. My passengers know the risks involved - and they also know that I won't even allow them on my bike without a riding jacket, helmet, gloves, at least jeans and over-ankle shoes/boots. No - it will not completely insulate them should the worst happen, but every little bit counts to help minimize their risk.

It will only add to the risk for a bad situation to present itself.
Again - just because you are riding 2up doesn't mean a bad situation will present itself. It is just as likely to occur if you are flying solo. Think of it as lottery ticket odds - just because you buy a ticket doesn't give you much greater chance of winning it than it does if you didn't buy... just because you bought a ticket doesn't mean your numbers are gonna get drawn. Sure - it increases the "risk"... but only marginally - down to 1/1000th of a percent. Same applies to riding - just because you have a passenger (and are hopefully riding responsibly) doesn't mean that something is more likely to happen to you just because there is a passenger.

Fact.
No... flowed logic resulting in flawed opinion - which you are completely entitled to. But don't dare try to pass it off as fact - because statistically - it is completely unfounded.

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_11978660?source=bb
I can post up story's like this one above all day.
Congratulations. For everyone one of those, I can post up 5 involving people flying solo. To that effect - solo or 2up has nothing to do with the crash - read the article you posted the link to again: "...when the bike approached a curve at a high rate of speed and began to skid"

What caused the crash? Having a passenger, or traveling too fast for the road/conditions/abilities of the rider? Think about this before you answer.

Again, whether a rider carrying a passenger decides to ride like an idiot or ride responsibly, doesnt change the fact that it isnt safe.
Couldn't disagree more. Riding solo isn't exactly safe - however riding with a passenger would be equally safe or unsafe.

Schitt going hit the fan either way eventually.
This I will agree with... and make an addendum to: Flying solo or 2up it's gonna hit the fan either way, eventually. The addition of a passenger increases those chances far less than riding like a toolbag while even solo.

"I dont belive in two up riding" [...] because it isnt safe!
Some people believe in God. Some people believe in Allah. Everyone has their own beliefs and opinions... but it doesn't make either one fact.

Again - you are welcome to your opinion - but don't try to pass it off as a blanket statement of fact.

-scr

Old 03-30-2009, 02:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rocketrotary
Your post, Worlock,
Pipedown - not Worlock. We already know Worlock is unsafe - regardless of passenger.

EDIT: and actually - that is a perfect example for Pipedown.

Quick Reply: Why?