Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

Who works out to help w/ riding?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 02:27 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Who works out to help w/ riding?

Off and on for the last couple years I get on a kick to lift weights, and since starting to ride almost two years ago, I can notice a difference (on the bike) when I lift consistantly... Decided I'm REALLY gonna stick with it this year, and I need it. With my new tires my speed in the woods has gone up considerably and I had serious arm pump and was winded.

What do you guys (and gals) do to supplement your riding? I've taken to running as of last summer. Also try to work my shoulders and triceps since they deal most with the working of the handlebars.

Old 01-12-2010, 02:52 AM
1st Gear Member

A good friend of mine used to ride a bicycle around the neighborhood, up hills and all to help him with riding his KX125 on the track.
When I rode my KDX on the intermediate track at Breezewood Proving Grounds I noticed it's easy to get winded. After two laps, I was ready to chug a 12oz. Coke and take a break.

Interesting that you brought this topic of training up because it's one of the most overlooked aspects of off-road riding. If you ride on aggressive terrain and attempt ambitious trails, then you'll find out just how out of shape you are.

Many folks think that riding a motorcycle consists of sitting on a seat and twisting your wrist a bit. That's very far from how riding an off road bike is. After a moderate riding day on the ORV trails you'll find muscles hurting that you forgot existed.

Working out in the gym and off road riding provides a nice synergy for the body. It provides work on many muscle groups as well as cardio.

Mike

Old 01-12-2010, 06:17 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

I found that cardio and good stretching is more beneficial. Bulking up will just make you slower than the lighter weight guy on the same bike.

Old 01-12-2010, 12:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Well I'm focusing on lean muscles. I do higher reps of lighter weights, trying to develop speed and cut. Honestly my size right now isn't too bad I just want my muscles to be quicker and to have some endurance. And definately running. I'm never panting after a hard section but I definately feel drained.

Old 01-12-2010, 02:40 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

If you talk to the pros they will tell you that if you can't run a couple of miles and do 50 pushups, then you got no business being on the track. Fortunately I don't plan on ever riding on a track.

Old 01-12-2010, 04:10 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

I was watching motocross on tv one time and they were talking about how physically demanding it is to run motocross. They put all kind of senosors to moniter all aspects of carmicael's body. The stuff they were saying was amazing, and from those results they said that motocross is the most physically demanding sport out of all. hockey, football... cause you dont get a break, i think his heart was beating clost to 200 beats per min. for the whole race... its not as easy as many think it is.

Old 01-12-2010, 05:54 PM
1st Gear Member

I dont ride dirtbikes but do workout often. I am a huge advocate of core exercises - back and abdominal. I've learned that your overall strength and posture significantly improve with a strong core. I also do alot of leg and hip exercises. Arms and cardio are my least fave but I still gta do them.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:05 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
If you talk to the pros they will tell you that if you can't run a couple of miles and do 50 pushups, then you got no business being on the track. Fortunately I don't plan on ever riding on a track.

hahaha, glad that you did not place a time limit to this deej.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:45 PM
1st Gear Member

workout three times a week or more...weights and cardio...I noticed a big difference when on the track...long distance rides...and just general riding in general...most of the work is done through your leg and back muscles...

Old 01-12-2010, 09:45 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

I've done a few hare scrambles and while I've always jogged, biked, backpacked, spelunked, etc, those hare scrambles are the hardest most physically demanding thing I've ever done. That's why it feels so good to just finish one of those, let alone get a trophy or anything.

I'd say for biking, develop good upper body strength - not big muscles, but higher rep stuff like you are planning. Then work on cardio (bike, jog, etc). And get a lot of seat time practicing skills. That's what I do now to prepare for a race, and while I don't have a whole lot of experience, it has helped a lot from what I can tell.

Quick Reply: Who works out to help w/ riding?