Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

uhg bikes in the shop

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 01:03 AM
1st Gear Member
Default uhg bikes in the shop

then maybe ill sell it?
i should just not take anything appart anymore

Old 07-30-2008, 01:16 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

What happened man? Oh and that's why I have the shop do anything major. I don't trust myself.

Old 07-30-2008, 01:17 AM
1st Gear Member

oh you know i took apart the rear brakes...i guess i wasnt supposed to take them apart. so i took the hydraulic line off. so its got no pressure. so im having them bleed them

Old 07-30-2008, 01:19 AM
1st Gear Member

That's easy to do. Go get your bike back. I can talk you through it on here or on the phone.

Old 07-30-2008, 01:20 AM
1st Gear Member

dont i need some kind of vaccum?

Old 07-30-2008, 01:25 AM
1st Gear Member

You have one. The brake lever, resivour, and the the bleeder nut.

All you need is a 2 foot length of 1/4in clear tubing and some DOT4 brake fluid.

Old 07-30-2008, 01:33 AM
1st Gear Member

uhggggggggggggggg...oh well i know this for next time. the shop is closed by now.. plus i dont have the truck or trailer anymore. and i dont wanna ride it back with only the front brakes. i know for next time that i can just bleed it myself..but the weird thing was is i wasnnt getting any pressure at all from the brakes..idk but i think i may have messed them up majorly...i took apart the whole caliper then puled the piston out to get rid of the pressure in it then put it back in and it got stuck then took it to a shop and they blew it out with compressed air then it got stuck again then i didnt put the gasket back on the piston then i decided i will stop messing with it

Old 07-30-2008, 01:44 AM
1st Gear Member

ok... quick instructions:

1> DONT DISCONNECT THE LINE! Even if you are flushing the system - leave it hooked up unless you are pulling the caliper to rebuild it. Any other regular brake maint you can do without disconnecting.

Now that we got that out of the way...

2 feet of clear 1/4in tube... one end goes in a clear beer bottle, or a white pail or something where you can see the color of the fluid coming out. The other end goes on here:

Yes, this is on a car, but it looks exactly the same. The end result should look like this:

Now open the resivour cover, remove the rubber seal and top off the fluid, to the top. Leave the cover and seal off.

Now use a box wrench (probably 10mm) and loosen the bleeder nut that the tube is stuck on about 1/2 turn.

Now press AND HOLD the brake lever with your other hand. DO NOT release it.

Tighten the bleeder nut. Release the brake lever.

Loosen the nut, press and hold again, tighten. Check the fluid level - re-top off. Keep repeating this process until the dark, icky fluid is out of the system, and the fluid coming out is fairly clear. Yes, this wastes a little, but it is pretty idiot proof, and doesn't introduce air into the system.

Once you have clear fluid coming out - top off to the line, put on the rubber seal and the cover.

That's it. Really. You're done.

If you have dual rotors up front - do them both at the same time (get a friend to work the lever). You do car brakes the same way.

Yes, you are about to bend over and take it up the backside for that.

Old 07-30-2008, 01:54 AM
1st Gear Member

Kev, what Srob is telling you is spot on. You probably just got so low on brake fluid that you got air in the line. Then you lose all hydraulic pressure because air compresses and fluid does not. At that point if you have brakes at all, they will be super mushy. That's when you follow Srob's procedure. Never take you calipers apart without the proper tools.

Old 07-30-2008, 01:58 AM
1st Gear Member

I believe he pulled the line off the caliper... which is where the problem ensued. In that case - the above procedure is still the dummy-proof way to fix it... takes some fluid, but eventually it pushes all the air out of the system.

Quick Reply: uhg bikes in the shop