Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

trail braking

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 03:40 AM
1st Gear Member
Default trail braking

Hey everyone i was just wondering if any one has some good info on how to trail brake in the corners.
I'm taking a sportbike rider course here on monday and i guess they teach us how to do it but i just wanted to have some kind of idea on what i need to look for before i dump my bike by doing something i've never seen or done before. All i know is i'll be pissed if i hurt my bike due to the navy telling me i have to take this class. Any info will be taken and great appreciation.

Old 12-07-2008, 04:17 AM
1st Gear Member

dont put weight towards the back when turning or it can slide out from under you.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:12 PM
1st Gear Member

how to avoid dumping it? listen to the instructors.

Old 12-08-2008, 01:22 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

trail brake? is that like using brakes on a dirt bike on a trail? lol..... thats all i know, i do have a street bike though.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:09 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Trail Breaking

Just stating an old saying by a racing legend. The best way to get better at braking is by first practicing it. You need to know how hard you can brake safely. You also need to be able to do it quickly. While going in a straight line at what ever speed when no one is around you try doing a couple of panic stops. Start braking and then brake harder to the point where the rear tire comes up or you hear a howling sound from the front tire. Be carefull where you do this though, don't want to be on slippery stuff. Once you learn how hard you can brake you can apply it to braking for a turn.

How to brake for a turn. Find a braking marker or point use it to start your braking and use the the brakes to get you to the desired speed in as short a period of time as you safely can before your turning point. When you can slow down fast enough to the point where you have ample distance from the turning point make a new braking marker that is closer to the turning point and will allow you to use the brakes a little after the turn is initiated. Eventually you will be braking closer to the turning point and then trail braking till about appex of the turn. Realize that you will be reducing pressure on the brakes as you get deeper into the turn.

Thats it in a nutshell. Most people are not aware of how good the front brakes are on these machines. I can tell you that you will be amazed at how hard you can brake. The art comes in finding out how hard you can do it while leaned over.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Soooo can someone please elaborate a little bit to me about what exactly tail braking is? Is it where you kick the *** of the bike out in a turn or something?

Old 12-08-2008, 08:49 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

sport rider mag talks about it in there technique section. good reading!

Old 12-08-2008, 10:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Its where you go full speed into the turn and apply the brakes so you put weight on the front.

Old 12-08-2008, 11:03 PM
1st Gear Member

What kind of sport bike rider course for the Navy? On a track or parking lot? I think that they just might want to see if you can ride first. Try going to a parking lot and ride in a straight line and gradually apply the front brake at various speed. That will give you a good feel for how much is enough.

Old 12-09-2008, 03:30 AM
1st Gear Member

Quick Reply: trail braking