Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

THANKS NENA, WHY YOU SHOULD ALWAYS WEAR YOUR GEAR

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 05:54 PM
Default RE: THANKS NENA, WHY YOU SHOULD ALWAYS WEAR YOUR GEAR

SQIUDS........

I live in florida, even in the heat of the summer, i wear my gear!! (i try not to ride to much during the summer months though) (i also cant seem to get enough track days in either. LOL) I also crash a bit to often. People see me and yes im cooking inside when sitting at a light, cooling of when the lights turn green. but people ask me, how and why are you dressed like that?
My reply is often short, You ever crashed a bike at 100 mph. Most are polite and say no, good for you have a safe ride.
Other nit wits say ive crashed a bike, with no helmet on. im still ok. those are the people i hate the most. My reply is usually yes im sure you have, good luck! Who the heck goes bungie jumping with out a bungie? who jumps out of a plane with no parachute? who the heck would ride a bike without proper gear. I will admit to ridding much harder then most enthusiest. but if you ride you will go down.

Old 10-18-2006, 05:50 AM
1st Gear Member

crazy story..... and the girl def. is brave and strong as hell!!!
after all that and she's already riding again too!!!!

i'm all about gear!!!

Old 10-18-2006, 09:38 PM

I like her, shes not trying to blame anyone else or make excuses. She realized that she made a decision and is taking the responsibility for it and its terrible it had to turn out like that for her.

For all you people who don't wear gear just know the dangers you are putting yourself and the statistical possibilites of what could happen to you, and dont act surprised if it does. Part of riding a motorcycle is acknowledging the dangers and risks that are associated and making a decision because it is what what makes you happy in life. The thing that pisses me off the most is when people blame other's for hitting them on they're bike and pretend that its something completely out of they're control. It's not out of your control, everyone knows there are people like this on the road and by commiting to ride a motorcycle you are commiting to take responsibility for the risks. Ride proud and ride smart and you can get the best of both worlds.

Old 10-18-2006, 10:50 PM

this chick got hurt really bad and i always wear my gear everywhere i go! but to me gearing up is a helmet racegloves and armoured coat and riding boots that is about it for me and i leave my legs in jeans. after seeing that i think i wanna get a 2 peice or a suit but that is hard to where alll the time when u ride but i guess worthit because if u ride one of these machines ur going to go faasst!

Old 10-19-2006, 09:35 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Knivez

I like her, shes not trying to blame anyone else or make excuses. She realized that she made a decision and is taking the responsibility for it and its terrible it had to turn out like that for her.

For all you people who don't wear gear just know the dangers you are putting yourself and the statistical possibilites of what could happen to you, and dont act surprised if it does. Part of riding a motorcycle is acknowledging the dangers and risks that are associated and making a decision because it is what what makes you happy in life. The thing that pisses me off the most is when people blame other's for hitting them on they're bike and pretend that its something completely out of they're control. It's not out of your control, everyone knows there are people like this on the road and by commiting to ride a motorcycle you are commiting to take responsibility for the risks. Ride proud and ride smart and you can get the best of both worlds.
+1

Old 10-30-2006, 04:46 AM

my wife tells me i'm getting some gear with my next paycheck after reading this story. so how much should a good jacket cost? i'm not a rich guy but i don't want some cheap sh_t either.

Old 10-30-2006, 06:22 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

You know its great to talk and to finally get all the gear to protect yourself, but I find it funny that nobody talks about the fact that most accidents are the result of going WAY TOO FAST!!!!!! Why is it that people have to ride the way they do, I mean I guess its their life and there certainly is a lack of respect for life these days, but when I see some idiot not only wearing the wrong stuff but doing a wheelie down the freeway at 80 mph, or swerving in and out of cars I can only think to my self what an idiot. Sorry if I offend anyone, but come one people get a clue[:@] Oh and if anyone thinks that it's their life and they can do what they want, well that's true, but when you think about all the people that care about you and the fact that not all accidents involve only the rider but also people in cars with their families, then its really not all about you.[:@][:@]

No offense anyone, I guess I am just thinking more and more about this as my wife just got her endorsement. I'm also glad we live in a one stop light town and only have to do 35 to get to the trails and logging roads here. And yes I know that you can get killed going 10 just as easily as you can doing 120 on the freeway, its all a risk. But by the way you ride, and the gear you wear you can drastically reduce the chances of being seriously hurt or worse.

Take care everyone.

Old 10-30-2006, 07:57 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

I agree with you Deej. Something about that adrenaline rush causes some of us to get to out of control. I admit that I have done some stupid things on the bike like 140+ on the highway but this is not in heavy traffic, in fact very few cars where around and the same day a guy got hit and killed from lightening while riding home from work. After that though I have ridden with a whole new respect and I wear my gear.

Old 10-30-2006, 08:55 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BigO

I agree with you Deej. Something about that adrenaline rush causes some of us to get to out of control. I admit that I have done some stupid things on the bike like 140+ on the highway but this is not in heavy traffic, in fact very few cars where around and the same day a guy got hit and killed from lightening while riding home from work. After that though I have ridden with a whole new respect and I wear my gear.
When I ride I always think about the front tire coming off, or the chain breaking and locking up the rear wheel, or a deer running out in front of me, that keeps me from going any faster than I have to. The end game is to make it home after a fun day, and not getting hurt. That's what I try and do, because I choose LIFE!!!

Old 10-30-2006, 09:08 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Good point. this brings up another topic of doing a pre ride saftey check how many people do that every time they ride?

ORIGINAL: deej

When I ride I always think about the front tire coming off, or the chain breaking and locking up the rear wheel, or a deer running out in front of me, that keeps me from going any faster than I have to. The end game is to make it home after a fun day, and not getting hurt. That's what I try and do, because I choose LIFE!!!

Quick Reply: THANKS NENA, WHY YOU SHOULD ALWAYS WEAR YOUR GEAR