Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

Suggestions on a portable generator

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 08:17 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Not sold in Cali? HUH! LOL sorry I had to. LOL

Old 11-08-2012, 08:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Ya, you can't buy a generator or 49-state motorcycle but you can buy a bag of weed at the shop next door.

Old 11-08-2012, 08:32 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Yeah; I wrestled with the gas vs propane thing a long time. I would think if you kept the system drained when you weren't using it, you might be OK. Gasoline in the midwest (I know they supposedly make different formulations depending where you live) goes to CRAP in a couple months if you don't routinely cycle the engine every few weeks. Bad gas would infuriate me if I needed the generator in nasty circumstances---exactly when you need it!
Not sure what your "security" issues might be with an "installed" unit, either. We live about 1800 feet off the road, back in the woods. Security is not (has not) been an issue for us. Might be nice for you to have a portable with wheels you could store until you needed it. Just weigh all your options and get one with enough juice to "grow" as your needs might change.

Old 11-09-2012, 02:43 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

I like the miller bobcat series welders/generators because of the dual purpose aspects. Otherwise the yamaha and the honda generators are hard to beat for being extremely portable, lightweight and quiet. The generacs are great for residential and commercial applications.

Old 11-09-2012, 02:53 PM
red
1st Gear Member

Might also want to consider diesel instead of gas. Usually not as big of an issue with shortages when things go bad, plus they will run on just about anything.

Old 11-09-2012, 03:17 PM
1st Gear Member

After doing more research I'm thinking an Inverter type would be better. They're more expensive compared to conventional generators but have cleaner power for electronics and a smaller form factor. I'm going to try and checkout the Yamaha ones this weekend. The Hondas are just too expensive.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Well after weeks of contemplation and research I decided to buy a Yamaha EF2400iSHC generator/inverter. With so many electronics sensitive to fluctuations in current I felt this was the safest way to go. It cost a lot more then I wanted to spend, but I made it a business expense so that helped lessen the blow.

I'm going to order the tri-fuel kit which will allow me to run it on gas, propane or natural gas. I like the idea of storing propane tanks a lot better than cans of gasoline. I might take some pictures as I add the kit since I'll have to remove the carb and replace it with a new one from the kit (core exchange).

Old 11-30-2012, 07:46 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Nice man!

Old 12-01-2012, 01:27 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Congrats on the choice. I have heard good things on the earlier unit but not on this one yet. Let us know.

Old 12-12-2012, 02:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Brieninsac
Well after weeks of contemplation and research I decided to buy a Yamaha EF2400iSHC generator/inverter. With so many electronics sensitive to fluctuations in current I felt this was the safest way to go. It cost a lot more then I wanted to spend, but I made it a business expense so that helped lessen the blow.

I'm going to order the tri-fuel kit which will allow me to run it on gas, propane or natural gas. I like the idea of storing propane tanks a lot better than cans of gasoline. I might take some pictures as I add the kit since I'll have to remove the carb and replace it with a new one from the kit (core exchange).

Don't forget, The Worlok is always right and will never steer you wrong

Quick Reply: Suggestions on a portable generator