Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

Sports Fan Toughest Time

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 01:11 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Sports Fan Toughest Time

Ohio State is always over rated - media darlings. They played a very weak schedule and it showed when then actually faced a good opponent. If this year doesn't scream PLAYOFF, I don't know what does. Oklahoma was supposed to cream WVU, but WVU handed them their a$$. Ohio State was supposed to cream LSU - we see how that one turned out. Hawaii playing Georgia? Puhlease! No other sport's champion is chosen by the media and advertising dollars so why should they for college football? It's time for a CFB PLAYOFF! Let it be decided on the field, not by whoever thinks they can sell more Tostitos or cell phones.

The only time I root for OSU is when they play Michigan. Michigan took our coach - couldn't get the coach they really wanted, so they stole ours. F'em. They deserve each other - Fraudriguez. Go Mountaineers!

Gee, I'm probably not making many friends with this post am I?

Old 01-09-2008, 10:00 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes

Ohio State is always over rated - media darlings. They played a very weak schedule and it showed when then actually faced a good opponent. If this year doesn't scream PLAYOFF, I don't know what does. Oklahoma was supposed to cream WVU, but WVU handed them their a$$. Ohio State was supposed to cream LSU - we see how that one turned out. Hawaii playing Georgia? Puhlease! No other sport's champion is chosen by the media and advertising dollars so why should they for college football? It's time for a CFB PLAYOFF! Let it be decided on the field, not by whoever thinks they can sell more Tostitos or cell phones.

The only time I root for OSU is when they play Michigan. Michigan took our coach - couldn't get the coach they really wanted, so they stole ours. F'em. They deserve each other - Fraudriguez. Go Mountaineers!

Gee, I'm probably not making many friends with this post am I?

I do know your facts are wrong. OSU was the underdog going into this game this year. Everyone was predicting LSU to win. Every sports team at one point or another can say they are overrated. but they OSU lost with 1 game left on the season they dropped to 7th can you really blame them for the fact that ALL 6 TEAMS IN FRONT LOST in the next two weeks. including your Mountaineers who lost to Pitt. So they just kept moving up. otherwise OSU would not have been in the NC. but they got there due to other teams losing and didnt make the best of it. i am glad to see the 8 game playoff though being proposed though. cause the simple fact of the matter is that the the NC is on jan 7 with OSU ended there season in november 55 days earlier and LSU ended there season the first weekend of december. its crap the the biggest game is so far away when neither team will be sharp cause of so much time off. the BCS is screwed but its what we have.

Old 01-09-2008, 03:17 PM
1st Gear Member

[sm=exactly.gif]

Old 01-09-2008, 03:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Old 01-09-2008, 10:46 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BlackNinjaZX6R
I do know your facts are wrong. OSU was the underdog going into this game this year. Everyone was predicting LSU to win. Every sports team at one point or another can say they are overrated. but they OSU lost with 1 game left on the season they dropped to 7th can you really blame them for the fact that ALL 6 TEAMS IN FRONT LOST in the next two weeks. including your Mountaineers who lost to Pitt. So they just kept moving up. otherwise OSU would not have been in the NC. but they got there due to other teams losing and didnt make the best of it. i am glad to see the 8 game playoff though being proposed though. cause the simple fact of the matter is that the the NC is on jan 7 with OSU ended there season in november 55 days earlier and LSU ended there season the first weekend of december. its crap the the biggest game is so far away when neither team will be sharp cause of so much time off. the BCS is screwed but its what we have.
You're right, I could have sworn OSU was favored to win. My bad. And by the trouncing OSU too, I think one could make the argument in hindsight that they shouldn't have been there in the first place. I playoff would have seen to that and naturally selected the two best teams to contend for the title.

And while I did rant a little on both Michigan and OSU, my main point is that the way the #1 team is chose is currently a complete and total farce. While the BCS rankings are better, IMO, than past systems of pure voting, they are still way off the mark in many cases. Take WVU and Oklahoma. WVU was #9 going in and OK was #4. Everyone was predicting a blow-out by OK. The OK athletic director even formally petitioned the BCS to change the match-up so that OK could play a "more worthy" opponent. What kind of BS is that? And before the game, OK was making a case for why they should be #1. In fact, it was a blow-out the other way. How embarrassing that must be to OK to say WVU is not even worthy to play them and then to get creamed by said team. It was only a few years ago that the pundits wanted to completely eliminate the Big East from BCS consideration! Last year the Big East went 5-0 against the other conferences. You think there isn't favoritism shown to conferences like the Big Ten, Big 12, SEC, and so on? To eliminate a whole conference from contention because there are no media darlings in it? Yet the Big East went 5-0 in their bowls against the other conferences.

Not having a playoff is seriously affecting the integrity of college football.

But that is just one or two examples. There are many many times in the history of the bowls and the selection of the National Champ that crap like this happens. I've seen it time and time again and I'm just sick of it, it turns my stomach. Another one I feel bad for is Georgia. Georgia is a class act team with a class act coaching staff so they are not going to complain about being matched up with Hawaii. But a play-off would completely eliminate all the guesswork, remove the media darlings and favoritism that the historically successful teams enjoy, and let it be decided by the players on the field. In this case, Hawaii would be eliminated in the first round, end of story. So would any other team not up to snuff. Instead, it's all about money and business. At least it's about that to everyone EXCEPT the players. But the players do not get to affect their own destiny all that much. It's all decided by advertising dollars and pundits. No other sport operates like this. We need a playoff. I like what Georgia's president has proposed. It's a start.

I guarantee that once they start having a play-off, you will start seeing a lot of "surprise" National Champions that will rise to the top that were never able to before because they were never selected for the big game.

Of course, anyone can have a bad game. Just about every team did this year - LSU had a couple, WVU had a couple, lots of teams stumbled this year. There were no zero-loss teams, except Hawaii, I think. As for Pitt and WVU, yeah, we didn't show up for that game at all. Rumor has it that Michigan had already made the coaching offer to Rodriguez mid-week before that game - some thing that Rod's mind was not on that game. The team and coaching was very flat. The kicker wanted to take a delay of game on the field goal attempt to back up for a better angle, but Rod said "No" - missed kick. At half-time, rumor from the locker room was that the team wanted to make adjustments for the 2nd half - Rod said no, we keep with our current strategy, which wasn't working. And ... Pitt brought their A-game. They were on it, for sure. I don't think they missed one tackle all night - they played great. I told my wife before that game that I was concerned because Pitt was a lot better team than their record showed, and WVU might be overlooking them. The better team that night, won for sure.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:11 AM
1st Gear Member

Yay pen state

Old 01-10-2008, 12:37 AM
1st Gear Member

Face it, until there is a playoff system, we will have this conversation every year. It could be worse. If there was no BCS, Hawaii would be champ. 12-0. The BCS is taking abuse because there is a 2 loss champ. Everyone of the top 5 finished with 2 losses.
LSU and OSU both fell into this game. WVA and Missouri handed it to them because they both loss their last game.

A playoff has worked for for Division 1 AA for years. This is what the President of University of Georgia wants to do. Take the top 8 teams and have them play on the 4 major bowls. Sugar, Rose, Orange, and Fiesta. If one of them doesn't want to do it, give it to another bowl, like the Cotton. The 4 winners will have the football version of the "Final Four". Have semi-final and finals weekend.

But because of the big, big, big corporate money in the bowls, I don't think it will ever happen.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:15 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes

ORIGINAL: BlackNinjaZX6R
You're right, I could have sworn OSU was favored to win. My bad. And by the trouncing OSU too, I think one could make the argument in hindsight that they shouldn't have been there in the first place. I playoff would have seen to that and naturally selected the two best teams to contend for the title.

And while I did rant a little on both Michigan and OSU, my main point is that the way the #1 team is chose is currently a complete and total farce. While the BCS rankings are better, IMO, than past systems of pure voting, they are still way off the mark in many cases. Take WVU and Oklahoma. WVU was #9 going in and OK was #4. Everyone was predicting a blow-out by OK. The OK athletic director even formally petitioned the BCS to change the match-up so that OK could play a "more worthy" opponent. What kind of BS is that? And before the game, OK was making a case for why they should be #1. In fact, it was a blow-out the other way. How embarrassing that must be to OK to say WVU is not even worthy to play them and then to get creamed by said team. It was only a few years ago that the pundits wanted to completely eliminate the Big East from BCS consideration! Last year the Big East went 5-0 against the other conferences. You think there isn't favoritism shown to conferences like the Big Ten, Big 12, SEC, and so on? To eliminate a whole conference from contention because there are no media darlings in it? Yet the Big East went 5-0 in their bowls against the other conferences.

Not having a playoff is seriously affecting the integrity of college football.

But that is just one or two examples. There are many many times in the history of the bowls and the selection of the National Champ that crap like this happens. I've seen it time and time again and I'm just sick of it, it turns my stomach. Another one I feel bad for is Georgia. Georgia is a class act team with a class act coaching staff so they are not going to complain about being matched up with Hawaii. But a play-off would completely eliminate all the guesswork, remove the media darlings and favoritism that the historically successful teams enjoy, and let it be decided by the players on the field. In this case, Hawaii would be eliminated in the first round, end of story. So would any other team not up to snuff. Instead, it's all about money and business. At least it's about that to everyone EXCEPT the players. But the players do not get to affect their own destiny all that much. It's all decided by advertising dollars and pundits. No other sport operates like this. We need a playoff. I like what Georgia's president has proposed. It's a start.

I guarantee that once they start having a play-off, you will start seeing a lot of "surprise" National Champions that will rise to the top that were never able to before because they were never selected for the big game.

Of course, anyone can have a bad game. Just about every team did this year - LSU had a couple, WVU had a couple, lots of teams stumbled this year. There were no zero-loss teams, except Hawaii, I think. As for Pitt and WVU, yeah, we didn't show up for that game at all. Rumor has it that Michigan had already made the coaching offer to Rodriguez mid-week before that game - some thing that Rod's mind was not on that game. The team and coaching was very flat. The kicker wanted to take a delay of game on the field goal attempt to back up for a better angle, but Rod said "No" - missed kick. At half-time, rumor from the locker room was that the team wanted to make adjustments for the 2nd half - Rod said no, we keep with our current strategy, which wasn't working. And ... Pitt brought their A-game. They were on it, for sure. I don't think they missed one tackle all night - they played great. I told my wife before that game that I was concerned because Pitt was a lot better team than their record showed, and WVU might be overlooking them. The better team that night, won for sure.

Yes you could make that arguement. but that the same time that arguement is a bunch of bull****. like i said earlier OSU was 7th. 7TH. therefore they would not have ever made it to the game. but since 1-6 lost they did skoot on down to the NC. you can not blame them for that. There was no favoritism there for that. When 1-6 all lose and they just keep moving up its not there fault. did they deserve to be there no. they weren't the best team in the country and they aren't the second best. this year was a rebuilding year. the defense was good but the offense lost alot of key players. so no they didn't deserve to be there. and this year the big ten sucked terribly so you really can't blame them for having a cake schedule. there schedule look alot tougher going into the season then it actually happened. alot of big ten teams failed to meet alot of expectations and ohio state capitalised. but the fact that all the teams lost in front of osu indicates to me that nobody wanted it and since they all lost the BCS pretty much said ok well who is next in line and that was ohio state.

now for LSU i didn't agree with them being there having lost just the previous week. but in my opinion as good as UGA was i didn't think they deserved to be there. In my opinion if you can not be considered to be the best team in your own conference then you can not be considered the best team in the nation. so as good as they were i didn't think they should have been able to play for it. i think virginia tech should have been able to go. yes lsu did beat them pretty soundly in there game but VT was ahead of them in the rankings and won there conference championship alot better then LSU won theres.

for a playoff i am in total agreement. Take the 6 BCS bids that i believe are SEC, Big Ten, Pac-10, Big East, Big 12, and ACC and the 6 conference champions and 2 at large teams and do a NFL style playoffthen that would eliminate alot of problems. the hot team would win and the team that doesn't deserve to be there would be eliminated. but i can forsee the next problem. everyone woul then be bitching about how there team wasn't ranked correctly. that should be ranked higher this this and this that that and that. but at least there would be a playoff.

As for the big ten compared to the big east. yeah look at the history of the two conferences the big ten has been far more successful then the big east. and when they were considering taking away the big east from bcs that was because nobody was good in the conference. that year miami sucked and once they were bad everyone was. and it took the next couple years for WVU to develop into the team they were. so thats why teh big ten and SEC are "media darlings." they have pretty much earn the spotlight shon onto them. so allthough OSU and LSU probably shouldn't have been in that game nobody else wanted it so they got choosen they played LSU proved to be teh superior tea

Old 01-11-2008, 01:28 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

BN, I'm not blaming OSU or anything, but rather the system for putting them there.

I agree that once a playoff is put into place, people will complain about how it is seeded. People do that now in college basketball. But I think that's better than what we have now by a long shot.

But you're facts are wrong about the Big East sucking the year they wanted to take away their BCS bid. That year, Miami wasn't even in the Big East. Miami, VT, and Boston College all went to the ACC. But that same year, the year they said the Big East did not deserve a BCS bid, WVU won the conference and played Georgia in the BCS Sugar Bowl. Georgia won the SEC conference that year and by everyone's account was a VERY good SEC team and WVU trounced them 38 to 35. That's what I'm talking about when I say that it is crazy to allow the pundits to decide who plays these games, because most of them don't know squat about the teams they are NOT selecting.

I follow the Big East more than other conferences, but I'm sure the same thing happens elsewhere too.

Old 01-11-2008, 02:52 PM
1st Gear Member

just take the top 2 teams in each division and bam there ya go

Quick Reply: Sports Fan Toughest Time