Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

Sooo I got gas at BP today....

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 09:49 PM
1st Gear Member

The people in all the businesses are going to lose their jobs because we all are going to have to evacuate where we live once a freaking hurricane comes up the gulf and puts this crap into our water supplies. I am getting more and more pissed off the more I see this thing continue. Where I live is so beautiful and everyone has based their lifestyles off of the setting where we live. I can not wrap my mind around the fact that the ENTIRE gulf of mexico is full of oil and that the ENTIRE gulf coast is screwed and possibly the ENTIRE atlantic side will lose their coastlines too. What about the smaller islands like Cuba, Bahamas, Jamaica, Puerto Rico, Dominician Republic, Hati, and such when the oil surrounds them? These people will have famine because they rely off the fish to survive there.

Everyone here has major anxiety because nobody knows what we are going to do from day to day. We do not know how many of us will continue to have our jobs or have to move somewhere else. I guess we will all migrate west.

Everybody here hates BP. You ride by a BP station and there is nobody there. You ride by any other gas station and it is slammed packed. As a way to try to earn our respect back they could start by pricing gasoline below $2.00 again so we can continue to help fund the oil spill effort. I gassed up there once and I am not doing it again. BP can still continue to kiss my white ***.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:02 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by chik636rydr
BP can still continue to kiss my white ***.

Well get out there and go swimming and it wont be white for long......that's all I got.

Old 06-11-2010, 12:23 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

If you want to lay blame, blame the environmental groups that have lobbied to have drilling banned in Alaska and other oil rich places where it is easy to get at. Without options like that, we are forced to drill in deep water which is dangerous and when there is a problem, makes it 1000 times more difficult to fix.

How many of you have actually gone without filling up your tanks? Everyone wants to hate on the oil companies, but no one wants to stop actually using oil. Even as Obama berates oil companies and bans off-shore drilling, he has no problem topping off his luxury motorcade or flying himself, Michelle, and Oprah in the fuel guzzling Air Force One half way around the world to Europe simply to make a bid to get the Olympics in his home town of Chicago.

I think there is plenty of blame and hypocrisy to go around, don't you think?

Old 06-11-2010, 04:30 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

i agree toatally. Venting also helps us get thru it. or the worlocks of the world would be doing alot of *** kicking right now..lol [QUOTE=Nobrakes
I think there is plenty of blame and hypocrisy to go around, don't you think?[/QUOTE]

Old 06-11-2010, 09:34 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nobrakes
If you want to lay blame, blame the environmental groups that have lobbied to have drilling banned in Alaska and other oil rich places where it is easy to get at. Without options like that, we are forced to drill in deep water which is dangerous and when there is a problem, makes it 1000 times more difficult to fix.

How many of you have actually gone without filling up your tanks? Everyone wants to hate on the oil companies, but no one wants to stop actually using oil. Even as Obama berates oil companies and bans off-shore drilling, he has no problem topping off his luxury motorcade or flying himself, Michelle, and Oprah in the fuel guzzling Air Force One half way around the world to Europe simply to make a bid to get the Olympics in his home town of Chicago.

I think there is plenty of blame and hypocrisy to go around, don't you think?
Actually very little oil mined from the United States actually goes into our gas tanks. We use the arabic oil (i believe the miners refer to it as being sugar oil) because it requires less steps to process this oil. We drill mainly for natural gas and crude oil used in the manufacturing of other goods on domestic grounds. What happened in the gulf would have been unavoidable and unregulated by the united states because we have no jurisdiction in international waters. It is on a first come, first serve basis.

Regarding people here boycotting BP, BP never was a strong company here to begin with. Most of us here use either Shell or Walmart gas. BP is a convenience type gas station if you needed gas then BP was a last resort.

This is not the first nor the last oil spill that is going to happen. So I am not going to hold my breath. I have been disappointed in the manner which BP has chose to handle the spill. They seem to be freaking clueless. I don't like being someone's guinea pig. BP should have had a contingency plan and they did not. They also should of had fail proof processes which will immediately stop the flow. They did not and it is not the time to go what if. We have to work together to get this **** stopped and get it cleaned up before we ruin our region. I especially feel terrible for those people whose livelihoods were directly contingent upon the environment and its rich ecological state.

The beaches are gorgeous and now they are going to dissipate. I really hate it because everyone here has an emotional attachment to where they live because we are here for the environment and not because we wanted to live here. That is all we do here is go to the beach or get in the creeks or rivers. Well, we can't do that anymore and when we get another hurricane it will be even worse.

I just wish they could stop this before it gets any worse. I know everyone is not going to have the resources to evacuate if we have to move to a different region of the US. All it will take is one major hurricane to displace everyone for a while. When a hurricane hits here everything floods. You can forget much of southern LA, MS, AL, and FL natives being able to stay because oil will be everywhere.

Btw, where is the millions of dollars people are donating to help us? Where are all the celebrities performing benefit concerts and crap? We have roughly 25% of the United States going to ruin and they will not step up to help their own people but yet let some ****hole in the world get ruined and they are right there to help them. I know BP is funding this but **** man. Sponsor a few cleanup crews who actually care about the environment and help get this crap cleaned up.

Old 06-12-2010, 04:03 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

You have every right to be pissed off, it's a disaster of monumental proportions, the effects of which are not even half seen yet. A lot of people's lives will be ruined by this. Many will leave the area altogether. It's a true disaster, almost unfathomable, really.

But BP just happened to be the one it happened to first. They are no more evil than Exxon, or Shell, or any of the others. Every other major oil company out there is just as vulnerable, and I guarantee they can't stop their mile-below-the-surface gusher if/when it occurs any more than BP can. Hopefully they will all learn from BP's experience and the technology to deal with such deep water operations improves, but until something like this happens, and they actually test their contingency plans, I doubt anyone is really prepared. I imagine capping gushers is pretty difficult work in the best of conditions, but a mile under water - I don't think any of us have a clue as to just what they are up against. ****, it's only been recent years that they even have clumsy, remotely operated subs tethered by wires and cables to the surface and with poor controllability at best that can even operate at those depths. Those things can barely pick up stuff off the sea floor, let alone be really effective at the hard work of capping a thick, twisted, and raggedly torn oil well pipe. And just to put the depths into perspective a little bit, the busted pipe is 5000 ft down. The crush depth of a modern nuclear submarine is at 1/2 that depth. So everything they send down there has to be specially designed to even operate in that kind of pressure. If it was easy, they would have capped it a month ago.

I'm not defending, if they couldn't handle the worst case spill scenario, they shouldn't be out there. But all this stuff is regulated, and the government granted the permits, and the permits require approval, so the government is handing out permits to companies without verification that they are capable of handling a disaster like this. So the government shares a lot of fault here too. If the regulatory agencies aren't effective, WTF are we hiring the thousands of people that they are staffed with and paying with our taxes, when it doesn't prevent this? They are supposed to be the ones doing the oversight and policing of these activities? They totally dropped the ball as well.

I understand that BP is an easy target, and they deserve the bulk of the blame here. But unless your car runs on unicorn tears, you, we, all of us, are the reason they are drilling in the first place. And all the government oversight and regulations over this industry did squat. Just a bunch of f'ing pencil pushers pulling a taxpayer funded paycheck so they can sit on their asses all day long and put a rubber stamp on a permit without actually doing what they were supposed to be doing.

Old 06-12-2010, 11:09 AM
1st Gear Member

Read this Daily Mail article. The UK is cross with us for the oil spill now. After reading this article and some of the America hating comments I was so pissed off I felt like breaking something! Nobody cares about the ecological damage or lost livelihoods of the gulf state residents. They are only concerned with the plummeting value of BP stock. Whos fault is that? Everyone's getting hurt by this disaster.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/ar...d-Britain.html

Old 06-13-2010, 12:04 AM
1st Gear Member

BP's lack of action is inexcusable and I will not support any of their operations. They have ruined where I live and put many of the people who live here in the poor house. Today is the worst day for us here. Our coastlines are so crappy looking now and to watch the lazy good for nothing coastal cleanup workers sitting on their butts not working to clean up our shorelines are so irritating!

I was cool until today when I saw our first oiled pelican. It has hit home and now I want to kick somebody's ***. It is easy to talk about until it directly affects you, then the game changes. All we need now is a freaking hurricane. Cant wait. yay.....

Old 06-13-2010, 02:46 PM
1st Gear Member

maybe im just simple minded. bp did it, bp did ti, bp did it.
bp must pay, bp must pay,

i'll be in nawlins june 20-25 i'll ask everybody down there what they think.

Old 06-13-2010, 03:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey what a coincidence. My NOLA trip got pushed back to next week too! hahahahaha

If you want, we can say hayyyy to each other next sun before I go home.

You ask them coon asses and they will give you feedback real quick. I was told by one of the hazmat workers that the oil has a high sulphur content to it, that his sniffer was going crazy the other day. Great! Now in addition to making their habitats unhabitable, we can suffocate our wildlife to death! This is such awesome news I do not know how to contain myself!

Quick Reply: Sooo I got gas at BP today....