Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

Scooter/moped riders and waves.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 09:34 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Scooter/moped riders and waves.

So I was riding home from work today when a guy shot me a wave on a moped. This is the first time this has happened to me so I shot one right back. But is this proper etiquette? Are mopeds and scooters part of the motorcycle code? I mean, they are on two wheels after all. But I just feel that they're so different that it's not really right to consider them part of the motorcyclist group. Mopeds are designed to get the best gas mileage possible. Not to be fun and quick. I dunno. My two cents. What do you think about them? And do they have the right to wave just as much as a guy on a GSX-R or a Harley?

Old 08-27-2009, 10:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Thats if you can get a Harley guy to wave, they usually don't see you cuz their nose is so high in the air it obstructs their view!

Seriously I'm all but done waving @ them cuz alot just think they are better and look away or ignore ya. The next rider that motions me to slow down on a wide open mountain road is going to get the finger showing him I think he is # 1!

As for mopeds...not sure...but if they wave I would too.

Old 08-28-2009, 12:22 AM
1st Gear Member

Mphead riders are not worthy of waving at us! Neither are Harley punks for that matter. When I ride my Harley, I wave at sportbikes, but not at other Harleys. It freaks everybody out

Old 08-28-2009, 02:29 AM
1st Gear Member

have you ever ridin' one? I have! but then I am OLD I have done a lot of "STUFF"

they are like fat/ugly chicks fun to ride just don't want your friends to see you

Old 08-28-2009, 02:38 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by wedge
have you ever ridin' one? I have! but then i am old i have done a lot of "stuff"

they are like fat/ugly chicks fun to ride just don't want your friends to see you:d
+1 too funny

Old 08-28-2009, 03:00 AM
1st Gear Member

Wedge. That was funny. Havnt heard that in years.
A wave is a wave. why make a big deal. He waved at you cuz, just like you. Having fun on two wheels.
H.D. riders yah alot dont wave. that cuz they know they couldnt handle real speed. and deep down they wish they had one. next time you pass one. look in your minor. bet you see him look back too..

Old 08-28-2009, 03:04 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IGonzoI
So I was riding home from work today when a guy shot me a wave on a moped. This is the first time this has happened to me so I shot one right back. But is this proper etiquette? Are mopeds and scooters part of the motorcycle code?
Good lord you have already given this more thought than I ever would.

Personally I think the whole waving thing is stupid, but that may be to my boating background, boaters always wave, its stupid I got a boat so do you whooooo cares?

But back to bikes, if someone waves I'll wave back. Now if you see skooter, try waving at them first, lol ..... they don't know what to do and may go into a head shake trying to wave. Funny stuff.

My first street legal ride was a moped, no one ever waved at me or I never knew about it, but shoot I was 15 with a surfboard hanging on the back.

Now a cutie on a skoot deserves more than a wave, that's u turn material

Old 08-28-2009, 05:24 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Finger Mullet
Now a cutie on a skoot deserves more than a wave, that's u turn material
Well said!

Old 08-28-2009, 06:30 AM
1st Gear Member

Now if you see skooter, try waving at them first, lol ..... they don't know what to do and may go into a head shake trying to wave
LOL I'm going to start waving at all the scoots!

Old 08-28-2009, 08:43 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Good lord you have already given this more thought than I ever would.

Personally I think the whole waving thing is stupid, but that may be to my boating background, boaters always wave, its stupid I got a boat so do you whooooo cares?

. Now if you see skooter, try waving at them first, lol ..... they don't know what to do and may go into a head shake trying to wave. Funny stuff.

LMAO!!!!!! That is so true!

Ya, decently friendly down this way...half the ranchers will wave at ya if you are in a pickup or on a bike. Bikers all wave at each other, mopeds, HD, etc.....Hell, dude on that moped might have 5 bikes in the garage and 30 years of riding experience. WHo cares, just do the wave. lol

Or you can do the 'advanced' wave. lol lol lol

Last edited by BigRig18Wheeler; 08-28-2009 at 08:46 AM.

Quick Reply: Scooter/moped riders and waves.