Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

Puppy Classified Ad

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2005, 05:23 PM
Default Puppy Classified Ad

I'm so close to putting him in the paper . . . I swear, sometimes he does the DUMBEST things!!! [:@]Ok, let me preface by saying, he's really cute. (and I love Dainese, so I don't think I'd ever get rid of him unless I was forced to) But some days, I cuss myself for getting a puppy. He's a four-month-old Black Lab. My first encounter with his bad behavior: his panty fetish.

Yes, you heard me right. In four months, the little monster has managed to consume seven pairs of my undies. And I don't leave them on the floor for him. Oh no!!! The little houdini digs them out of my clean laundry basket, which is kept on a shelf, about four feet off the ground. He'll knock the basket down, dig out the undies, chew on them for about ten minutes and then come "show" me his prize. He then gets sent to Puppy Jail for ten minutes (aka his kennel). We're currently looking for a 12-step program for him. This panty fetish could be a problem later on.

Aside from the undie eating, it's barely 30 degrees outside this morning. I took him out to pee, brough him in and fed him, and then put him on his tie-out just like every morning. I went back out to let him in, let him off the tie-out and he runs to the screen door, jumping on it, then runs back to me. I said to him "Dainese, you better be careful jumping on that door. You're getting too big to be doing stuff like that." I pull on the door handle . . . nothing. WTF???

Oh yeah, barely 30 degrees and the little terror has slammed the door past it's frame so I can't get it open. After ten minutes of wedging and pulling and desperately trying to get the door open . .. the handle pops off!!! Ok, now what? I'm outside, in sweatpants and a l/s tee (thank goodness I got dressed), no phone, no keys. I have a ladder; I could climb over my back fence (which locks from the outside). But I have no keys to get in my front door. It's not even 7am, none of my neighbors are up. I can't call for help; both my cell phones are in my bedroom. And of course, I just put all my storm windows down and locked all my windows two days ago because it was cold, so I can't go breaking in a window. ****!!!

Ah, but my contractor left a crowbar here a few months ago. Yup, so I did it. I pried my backdoor open with a freakin' crowbar!!! I don't think that door is gonna be useable anymore. So I'm shopping for a new one (one with a dog door this time).

Ok rant over. I just really needed to vent about the puppy. I have pics of the perpetrator if you wanna see.

Old 10-27-2005, 06:37 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Puppy Classified Ad

BAD DAINESE, no soup for you!

Old 10-27-2005, 10:02 PM
Super Moderator

Don't stress too much about it - labs are notorious for being a pia! They eventually grow out of it and turn into great dogs - but in the meantime you need to dig deep and find all the patience that you can. I had a dog that liked to carry my bras around - quite embarrasing when you had a house full of people .

In the meantime, maybe get him a new toy (if you guys have something called a KONG down there, get it for him, stuff it with dog treats or peanut butter) it'll keep him busy for hours!!!

He is a really cute dog VV! Good luck with your door hunting.

Old 10-27-2005, 11:14 PM

LOL......that was good for me.....LOL.......ok i raised pit-bulls for like 9 years, contrary to popular belief, there are ways to train your dogs besides hitting them, and if you've ever had a pit, you will know that they love to chew and nothing is off limits....one thing i found that works is that pepper oil from a chinese restaurant....(i know it sounds cruel but he won't die and he won't hold you accountable either)....i had this one beautiful black nose blue/grey pit with grey eyes named prissy...tho she was a girl she was very destructive and liked to chew on the couch.....i did everything i could until one day i'm eating and, like always, she was begging for food....now i dont give my dogs table food, but somehow she learned this from somebody, i dont say any names....(coughs in the sound of "my roomate").....but anyway i left the room for a minute and she jumps on the chair and gets a hold of the first thing she see's....i hear this horrible whine/gnarling and come out of the back room to see that she had grabbed the hot oil from the chinese restaurants, and had eatin the container....sad but it was sooo funny....after that all i had to do was put just a bit on whatever i didnt want her to chew and she wouldnt even go near it.....maybe this could work for you, leave like one old pair of undies with something ****y as hell on it in that basket and let him have at it.....he probably wont do that again!!!!!

Old 10-27-2005, 11:25 PM

Yah I thought of that idea already too, until he ate half a bottle tobasco sauce, the habanero kind. He LOVES the stuff. Dammit, there goes another training aide!

Old 10-27-2005, 11:36 PM

??????? wow...crazy dog....try wasabi....different kinda burn....LOL.....i can imagine a dog running around with undies in his mouth and smelling like tobasco....LOL

Old 10-28-2005, 12:09 AM
1st Gear Member

They also make pastes specifically to use for istances like this I think it is either really BAD tasting or really sour. Try checking to local pet sho for it.

Old 10-28-2005, 06:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Personally, I would give him kudos and a beer for digging out chick's panites.

And I am not making any personal comments here - but think about changing your laundry detergent to something a little stronger and make sure you wash in very hot water. Remember - dogs have *excellent* noses, and clean isn't always as clean as we humans might think. I have seen this kind of stuff before.

Old 10-28-2005, 06:56 PM

Well I have a lot of allergies to cleaners, so I have to use stuff with no scent or dye, and that may be helping to not "mask" any lingering smells in my clothes. He buried his little nose in my sweatshirt last night. Don't know if he smelled Brian from being here over the weekend or last night's dinner, lol. But he sure was after something on my tummy!! LOL

He was being SUPER GOOD last night. He even stopped at the back door without me saying a word. I think he's starting to learn his lesson. I guess I do tend to slack off the training a bit when he acts really well for a while. And that's when he starts becoming a nightmare.

Old 10-28-2005, 08:10 PM

ORIGINAL: Violet_Vixen

Well I have a lot of allergies to cleaners, so I have to use stuff with no scent or dye, and that may be helping to not "mask" any lingering smells in my clothes. He buried his little nose in my sweatshirt last night. Don't know if he smelled Brian from being here over the weekend or last night's dinner, lol. But he sure was after something on my tummy!! LOL

He was being SUPER GOOD last night. He even stopped at the back door without me saying a word. I think he's starting to learn his lesson. I guess I do tend to slack off the training a bit when he acts really well for a while. And that's when he starts becoming a nightmare.
I feel your pain! I've been through it a few times with puppies, and I've not always been the best 'parent'....The key is consistency, and lots-o-lovin when they do the RIGHT thing...that's as important, or more important, than punishment for the wrong thing. He REALLY wants to please you (it's why I like dogs, their goal in life is to please us), so he'll remember the praise and loving and want more of that!!

(I had to wait a while after I read your first post to stop laughing enough to be able to write....)

Quick Reply: Puppy Classified Ad