Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

Nascar

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 02:25 AM
1st Gear Member
Question Nascar

I hope I'm not the only one here that hates Nascar. I would just as soon watch paint dry. It seems like the ultimate red kneck entertainment and you all know how well I get along with red necks.
It is just so boring, why dont they have a halftime and make them go the other direction for the remainder of the race, that would be a little more intresting. Even the wrecks are just remotely intresting.
I just dont understand the attraction. I rate Nascar right up there with WWF wrestling, the biggest fake bunch of crap in the world. How could anybody really get into these two sports. I guess only the red necks know for sure!

Old 10-13-2008, 03:34 AM
1st Gear Member

nascar = going fast.

wwf = looks real when drunk.

nuff said

Old 10-13-2008, 03:42 AM
1st Gear Member

i'm totally with ya worlok. nascar is so ****ing gay

Old 10-13-2008, 06:21 AM
1st Gear Member

AMEN. now, LeMans. i LOVES me some LeMans.. (mainly cuz i worked on the #38 ADT/Audi R8 LMP900 car in the '02 season!!)

theres NOTHING like waking up to the sound of a Ferrari 575M at 180MPH down the back straight at Mid-Ohio, smelling carbon fiber rotors and pads under stress, seeing those sexyass Hawaiian Tropic models, all the hot girls there, the exotic cars, the cars, the tools, the motors, the people.. you can't walk the pits as NASCRAP without being a "somebody" or winning a pass.

and, get this, nascar guys.... YOU CAN MEET THE DRIVERS!! year. imagine that. i was a spectator at the mid ohio race. the team invited me to their next race and offered me a job with them after i accompanied them to another race later!!! and i was a spectator!! and i showed interest in what the body guys were doing.. they let me help, then invited me back to the pits the next 2 days. gave me a team shirt and hat, 2-way radio.. and i chilled in the trailer with Johnny Herbert and Stefan Johannsen (the drivers at the time) I've met Boris Said and Ron Fellows (uber nice guys. Boris Said is way tall.. very funny guy.) among other of the worlds top drivers, worked on a 2 million dollar car, and experienced the race in an unfathomable detail with the radio.. actually listening to all the drivers and their pit crews. scanners only get you soo many channels.. and you'll never meet the nascrap drivers unless you see them in the grocery store.

its an experience that i'll never ever forget. yet, the parkinglot at nascrap races is filled with tailgaters that never even get to see the race in person. and it's stupidly expensive. i think i spend $30 or something like that for a 3 day camping pass and pit pass. and the team fed me during the day, being that they kinda adopted me.. lol

nothin like it.. i swear.

Old 10-13-2008, 06:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Rednecks like NASCAR because it is so easy to follow when totally wasted on PBR. Lookee thar, turning left,...three hours later....Lookee thar, turning left....

Old 10-13-2008, 06:51 PM
1st Gear Member

oh snap there 4 wide comming out of the tunnel,, goin into turn 4,, we got a yellow flag... looks like Dale Jr. got a lil loose and kyle petty couldnt make it through... lmao,, IDK i used to like nascar but theres alot better racing out there

Old 10-13-2008, 07:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, it all started at local fairgrounds on old dirt, and some asphalt tracks, then Nascar came along and ruined the whole thing!

Old 10-14-2008, 02:47 AM
1st Gear Member

man WH. that sounds like it would have been a real sweet *** weekend dude.

Old 10-14-2008, 06:09 AM
1st Gear Member

it was man. i have pics i should scan from that. it was my first race nd never expected that! the guys (phil and roberto, the carbon fiber guys) were applying "helicopter tape" to the stickers to keep them from peeling off at 180+mph. i simply asked what they were doing and why and they started to explain in great detail, then asked if i wanted to help. i was like HELL YES. i eventually was working on the body stuff later that day when came back. i met the drivers, got an assload of autographed stuff, hats, team shirt, and an invite to the RFK stadium race in D.C.

i was with those guys workin on that car for the whole weekend, learning about laying C.F. and all about the car. sadly, they went to the TDI like the infineon boys did, but i sill recall every single spec of the gas-powered LMP900 R8.
i met back up with them at washington D.C. and did the same there. made some C.F. front splitters, painted some stuff, worked on other things..where i screwed up (timing) is they offered me a job basically.. that weekend, they asked me to come to canada with them for two weeks, all expenses paid, and 2G's in my pocket ($1000 a week) but i would have had to drop out of electrical school for one semester. that would have cost me $6000. sadly, i couldn't justify it. they wanted to make me their car electrician, but i don't even know what happened. i wanna get to a race again and meet up with them and talk things over and see if maybe thats still do-able.. i doubt it, tho.. and he tech on the cars has changed drastically. the telemetry stuff is vastly more complex. before, laser-based ride height sensors (for the suspension tuning guru) boost/vac sensors and extremely expansive engine stats were all given to the data guy in real time, and i was familiar with the operating systms and what did what. the diesel i think is a bit more complex now tho.. well, who knows. i was going to replace "kiwi" the team electrician. he had a bad bike wreck and kinda lost a few of his marbles according to a few team members.

i miss it alot. every day i kick myself in my *** for not just sayin "screw it" and goin to canada with em. i would have at the very least a 50K a year job, see the world, see the most gorgeous women ever walking around, drive and work on a 2.5 million dollar car, and live in florida in pompano beach.
http://www.championracing.net/2008/index.htm

i still have part of the nosebox (hood, basically, in the front) where stefan johannsen put the car into a tire wall at DC's race. broke the car up pretty bad. i have the left front corner from the headlight to the front of the wheelvent, and the cf spitters (the same ones i made, i think..).. ya. his response to breaking a $30,000 body part on the car? "oopsies" yeah. 30 F'in grand for that "hood". just like $6,000 for the wing on the back of the car, and $12,000 for EACH rotor on the car.. not to mention the $6,000 rotors on it, made of pure C.F.
http://www.championracing.net/2008/the_car/index.htm see bottom right pic above the spec sheet to see the brakes.. you're lookin at close to 20 grand. they're about 1.25 thick. HUGE brakes. like 15" rotor diameter.

thats the thing man. theres soooo much money in that kinda racing. you go to a nascrap race and see mustangs and trucks and camaros and minivans in the parkinglot.
you go to a bigtime LeMans racew and see Panteras and ferraris and lambos, maseratis and tons of NSX's parked there.. lol.. yet, it's about a 10th of the cost to get in.. if not less!!

sad thing was the DC race was the first and last one. the District of Columbia pulled out and faulted on their 10 year contract they had with the ALMS (American LeMans Series) directors. funny thing is, one weekend-long race generated over a million in revenue to DC. you ever see where RFK stadium is? its in the HOOD. straight ghetto. that place NEEDS revenue. what pissed me off is all those who lived in the immediate are got FREE tickets to the race. they were scalping the left and right.. it cost everyone else about $135 to get in for a weekend and a pit pass. what a crock! lol

but ya man. it was a weekend i'll never ever forget. and i really wanna go to another race soon. i'd like to hit up a 24 hour race and track down Boris Said again and swap jokes like we did at DC.. lol hell of a guy. him and Ron Fellows (C5 'vette champ) and all the other guys are just phenomenal, down-to-earth people. oh, but if you go to a race, don't get in the way of the olive garden ferarri guys. they're all mad italians! LOVED watching them work tho.. cutting holes in a 10 grand hood cuz the $50,000 carbon fiber cloaked, dry sump, 650hp, 6" flywheeled V12 was overheating.. there was 4 of them just hacking away with 3" pneumtic cutoff wheels at this gorgeous green c.f. hood... lmao.. it was wild.

i'm hoping motoGP will be as good in person as well.

Old 10-15-2008, 04:53 AM
1st Gear Member

damn man