Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

MSN VIRUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 06:28 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: MSN VIRUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ORIGINAL: deej

DO NOT OPEN ANY FILE FROM ANYONE!!!!!!!
That's a bit reactionary, no? It is actually isolated to a web link - not a file... and is sent to you by people on your friends list in the form of this message:

<friend> says: Hey, isn’t this YOU?? :S http://mainmsn.com/images/viewimage.php?=your@email.com

With "your@email.com" replaced with your msn messenger address (part of the reason why I don't use a valid address for my msn messenger).
Here is the release from some folks on what it is and how it spreads:

Your MSN Contacts May Be Sending You Viruses (mainmsn.com)
Posted on January 23, 2008 - Filed Under Uncategorized |

If you receive this instant message through MSN, DO NOT CLICK IT:

<friend> says: Hey, isn’t this YOU?? :S http://mainmsn.com/images/viewimage.php?=your@email.com

Clicking this message downloads a virus onto your computer (except that the link above goes to VirusTotal’s results for the file). This virus appears to take control of MSN and send the same message to everyone on your friends list. However, it may do other virus-like things on your system. I’m not running Windows so I can’t see the full effects, but the person who sent it to me is now contemplating a full reformat of their hard drive to eliminate the infection.

Who is mainmsn.com? There’s scant information on the internet. The downloaded file name is PIC006.JPG-www.photoshare.com. Besides program code, the file contains a section of HTML code that appears to display a hardcoded error message: “Warning: fopen(cnt) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/a7095595/public_html/images/viewimage.php on line 9″

What does the virus actually do? Among other things, the payload seems to contain a variation of the IRCBot worm, which causes your computer to monitor a remote IRC channel for commands from a hacker. Depending on the commands given, this could have dire consequences.

How does the infection happen? It must be executed after being downloaded. It will then propagate itself to other people in your friends lists.

Here’s an object lesson in security: trusted sources are the most dangerous attack vectors. This virus - in the grand tradition of the ILOVEYOU virus - relies on personal relationships and trust to make people perform a typically dangerous action unawares. Keep your shields up and beware random messages!
---

Essentially - avoid anything with mainmsn in the link name... all their A records have been purged from worldwide DNS as of last night - so once it propagates - everyone should be safe, at least from this incarnation.

Old 01-29-2008, 06:29 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

You aint goin Millie Vanillie on me are ya KB.

Old 01-29-2008, 06:30 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: markmeinteil

F'ing Microsoft!
Care to quantify that? This virus has nothing to do with microsoft, other than it uses msn as a method of transport. There are already versions popping up for AIM, YIM, ICQ, GoogleTalk and others...

Old 01-29-2008, 06:32 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

All goes back to the basics of not openeing any attachment you are not familiar with or accpecting. Especially an .exe, .vbs, .bator .comfile for example.

Old 01-29-2008, 06:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Again - it is not an attachment... it is a link to an executable, which disguises itself as a jpg. As MSN doesn't show the hidden source code underneath what is presented, it is easy for people to mistake it as a genuine jpg and just click on it. Then it tries to download a file, which 90% of the computer users have set to "allow" because they don't know any better, and 9% of the remaining think it is a file for showing the picture....

As it is also coming from someone you know and trust and have likely accepted jpg's from them before - most people assume that this one is safe too.

Old 01-29-2008, 06:37 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BigO

You aint goin Millie Vanillie on me are ya KB.
?

i'm not getting the refference

Old 01-29-2008, 07:53 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Look for the Song Blame it on the Rain. They where made famous with that song until they were discovered to lip sync the whole thing and the album. They tried to put out a nother record with them singing and it totally bombed.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Wow, I though Deej was the only one here old enough to remember that! j/k

Old 01-29-2008, 08:53 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rocketrotary

Wow, I though Deej was the only one here old enough to remember that! j/k
LOL I was still married to my first wife when that song came out. Anyone remember Gilligan's Island? And I don't mean the re-runs.[8D] Dang I'm old.......Well I remember the last season so I'm not really thaaaaaaaaaaaat old right?

Old 01-29-2008, 08:54 PM
1st Gear Member

It's not how old you are Deej, it's how you're old. You have the heart of a teenager, so you're all good.

Quick Reply: MSN VIRUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!