Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

Moto GP money suck!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 11:48 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Moto GP money suck!

For our Bro's that are going to the Moto GP, don't rev your engines! This strikes me as a major money suck by my hometown police force!

This is a follow up story from this story: Bikers: We Do Not Like You, But Give Us Your Money

The roar of motorcycle engines will be encouraged inside the Indianapolis Motor Speedway during the Sept. 14 MotoGP race.

Outside the track, town officials hope to discourage motorcycle noise when race fans come to visit.

In preparation for the inaugural motorcycle race at the track, the Speedway Town Council is considering two ordinances intended to head off potential problems that could arise as MotoGP fans arrive in town.

One ordinance would allow police to ticket motorcyclists causing excessive noise by revving their engines.

The other would prohibit parking of motorcycle trailers on town streets two days before qualifications through race day. Fans could still park trailers in parking lots or on private property, if they have permission.

Anyone ticketed for violating either ordinance would face a $100 fine for each offense. The Town Council could adopt the new ordinances at its Aug. 11 meeting.

Speedway Town Manager Barbara A. Lawrence said the council developed the regulations based on conversations with leaders of communities where similar motorcycle events are held.
Read the rest of this article »

Old 08-04-2008, 12:05 PM
1st Gear Member

no link provided

Old 08-04-2008, 12:57 PM
1st Gear Member

that sux,,, wheres Paul Harvey with the rest of the story!!!

Old 08-04-2008, 02:33 PM
1st Gear Member

The town of Speedway already has a noise ordinance. I really don't understand why so many community leaders feel the need to write a new, special law about something, when it is already covered by something else. Then again - when I was a cop, I used that to my advantage. We had a county noise ordinance, there was one for the city in which I had stopped the guy, and another for the township which we were in. The guy was being a complete ***** to me about a house party at 2am on a Wednesday, so I wrote him 3 citations for the same thing.

Old 08-04-2008, 05:52 PM
1st Gear Member

I stopped at a large park close to down town Indy where they were having a Harley rally about three years ago, and there were hundreds of Harleys with drag pipes running all over town, and I never saw one of them get pulled over. Some of those bikes would deafen you when they romped on them.
I have to wonder if it is because most of these bikes will be sport bikes coming into town. I have drag pipes on the Fatboy and ride by plenty of cops, and they never even look my way. Just makes me wonder if they are prejudice against sport bikes????

Last edited by Worlok14; 08-04-2008 at 06:56 PM.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:28 PM
1st Gear Member

My dad told me about this yesterday, the communities are all over IN passing these laws. They are rushing them through before the race comes to town, it is just a money making scheme. Bastards. If you guys wanted to see races where the commuity embraces the track you should go to mid-ohio. I just saw the AMA's yesterday for the second year in a row and it is awesome. I am not going to INdy because I just don't want to spend $75 when I could only make one day. Mid-ohio has an awesome atmosphere, great track, and the town around there welcomes bikes. They even had signs up for the cages to watch out for motorcycles. All for $30...

Old 08-20-2008, 07:54 PM
1st Gear Member

dang - maybe next year.

I have my ticket for motoGP - but its a 650 mile drive each way - sounds like an ironbutt challenge. not even sure if my 13 year old bike should be making a trek like that.