Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

A look at what's under my hood

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: A look at what's under my hood

Its a 3.1 - the check engine light has not been coming on, well at least it didn't this morning

The car was running real well up until it stalled - the rpm's literally just dropped and she quit.

Old 08-29-2006, 05:33 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

u said u were around a corner? were u on the gas or just letting it idle cause u were on the brake?

Old 08-29-2006, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: EMS_0525

how many miles are on that beast?
260,000 kms (which is around 161,000 miles I believe)!!!!

Old 08-29-2006, 05:40 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

not too bad for a '91, is it the 3100 or is it the 3.1 look at the intake manifold... 3100 is alot better of a motor than the 3.1, granted they are the same displacement.... good luck with it....
any other problems with it let me know, if i dont know ur answer i know my dad will....

Old 08-29-2006, 05:41 PM
Super Moderator

u said u were around a corner? were u on the gas or just letting it idle cause u were on the brake?
no it didn't happen in a corner. I was going through a toll booth, so I was coming to a stop, but was not at a complete stop yet. But after it stalled, I put her in neutral, turned the key and it just clicked, so I tried again and she fired right up and seemed to run fine. Where I work is not very far from the bridge so I didn't really have the opportunity to run the car for much longer.

Now I don't know if it makes a diff or not, but the car hasn't really been driven since last year (don't drive her in the winter anymore!). For most of my drive this morning I was going at 100 to 110 km/h. Just before coming to the bridge (that has the toll booths), the speed limit drops to 90, then down to 70 and then to 50.

Old 08-29-2006, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator

not too bad for a '91, is it the 3100 or is it the 3.1 look at the intake manifold... 3100 is alot better of a motor than the 3.1, granted they are the same displacement.... good luck with it....
any other problems with it let me know, if i dont know ur answer i know my dad will....
I'll double check but I'm pretty sure its just a 3.1.

Thanks again!

Old 08-29-2006, 05:44 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

sounds like it just needs a tune up.... where do u live? kilo's? canadia?

Old 08-29-2006, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

wassup BB? No vegas huh..

If it's the TPS, the car will usually create a surge in itself at around 30-40 mph. That is the average speed, and that's where the TPS will wear the slide out first. Usually the TPS will knock a o2 code or a TPS code.

MassIArflow sensor or Map sensor will usually cause the car to smoke a hint of black at idle.

I really don't think either one of those is the prob. Probably, if any sensor is bad, if it's a sensor issue, and it's running in open loop, It would be the IAC, if it stalled standing still. The IAX ius one of the feww sensors that can cause a loss of RPM at idle in open loop, and not knock a code. YOu can pull codes out of the ECM with out a tool

OOOHHHHH,,, and change the fuel filter!! lol lol

Old 08-29-2006, 05:46 PM
Super Moderator

sounds like it just needs a tune up.... where do u live? kilo's? canadia?
Yep !!! Proud Canuck!!!

Old 08-29-2006, 05:49 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: BigRig18Wheeler

wassup BB? No vegas huh..

If it's the TPS, the car will usually create a surge in itself at around 30-40 mph. That is the average speed, and that's where the TPS will wear the slide out first. Usually the TPS will knock a o2 code or a TPS code.

MassIArflow sensor or Map sensor will usually cause the car to smoke a hint of black at idle.

I really don't think either one of those is the prob. Probably, if any sensor is bad, if it's a sensor issue, and it's running in open loop, It would be the IAC, if it stalled standing still. The IAX ius one of the feww sensors that can cause a loss of RPM at idle in open loop, and not knock a code. YOu can pull codes out of the ECM with out a tool

OOOHHHHH,,, and change the fuel filter!! lol lol
I wish I could do the Vegas trip! It would be awesome to hang out with you guys!!!! Oh the stories......that would have to be kept top secret or I'd come and kick butt!!!!!!

We're gonna give the car a going over tonight.........if I have to I'll call my 'after hours' mechanics! Gotta love friends!!

If you think the fuel filter is bad - I won't even tell ya what the tranny fluid looked like when I had it flushed!!!!! Not good.....

Quick Reply: A look at what's under my hood