Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

large car decals...

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 09:07 PM
Super Moderator
Default large car decals...

my buddies girlfriend is getting him one of those large car decals and she wants me to put it on his car.... has anyone ever done that before? i know you need a spray bottle with soapy water... but how much soap do you need and do you use a heat gun to dry the decal out quicker so you could pull out the top sheet? i need some advise before i do this... thanks everyone in advance....

Old 12-06-2005, 09:16 PM
Default RE: large car decals...

Mix the water & soap approx 50.1 ,should be just about right

Old 12-06-2005, 09:21 PM
Super Moderator

Well - you are in luck - sort of........I used to work for a sign company, years ago.

Here is the process that I always used to apply vinyl graphics.......

clean area graphics are to be applied to, spray area with soapy water (this will allow you to reposition the graphics as necessary), then squeegee the graphics to remove air bubbles, and soapy water from underneath. Then peel off (carefully) the covering from the vinyl graphics. One big hint that I'll pass on that saved my a$$ a few times - position the graphic with tape on whatever it is you are applying to (this way you can get it lined up how you want it) then apply a couple of lines of tape down the centre of the graphics that way you can apply one side at a time instead of having to do the whole thing at once. I never used a heat gun, so can't help you on that one.

The biggest thing, take your time. If you need any more help or clarification (I ramble sometimes ) just let me know.

Good luck, I miss doing that stuff, it was fun!

Old 12-06-2005, 09:38 PM

Bluebird win's I surcome to the knowlage[&:]

[IMG]local://upfiles/903/8BFE6F45B79C42359208B61A1182B4BB.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-06-2005, 09:39 PM

Bluebird is right, clean the area, I learned from doing this to my car a few times and a few friends of mine in HS. Clean the area, use a cleaning wax to the area too, because it will be nicer for when they do decide to take the vinyl off, don't use too much soap in the water cause then the sticker won't stick. use a credit card (if you don't have a squeegee, but if your going to make this a hobby, you can pick one up at a paint/wallpaper store) to get rid of the air bubbles and water under sticker.

the rest just be patient for lining up the sticker.

Old 12-06-2005, 09:51 PM
Super Moderator

One more thing.........get a really sharp razor blade or utility knife. If you get air bubbles that you can't squeegee out - slice a small slit in the centre of the bubble to get the air out - it should press into place fine and not be too noticeable.

Old 12-06-2005, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator

thanks again everyone..... once again our family members comes through.... and miplay again with the personal potos? wtf dude, lol lol lol... thanks again

Old 12-06-2005, 10:10 PM

Shoot if it upsets ya I'll stop postin pics ....[:'(]

Old 12-06-2005, 10:12 PM
Super Moderator

I dunno, I kinda like them

Old 12-06-2005, 10:16 PM

Na Na Ne Na Na See somebody loves me out there....

Quick Reply: large car decals...