Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

Laptop display died

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 04:19 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default Laptop display died

Well after almost 5 years, it looks like my Dell Inspiron 4100 display went south. I was just about to order a new laptop, when I thought to my self "I wonder if I can hook an external display up?" Well here it is, and I have to say its a lot better than haven't to start all over and re-load all the stuff that it takes to run. Last time I had to replace the hard drive it took me over 40 hrs off and on to get the laptop up and fully functional. GRRRRRRR!

Old 01-21-2007, 04:21 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Laptop display died

ORIGINAL: deej

Well after almost 5 years, it looks like my Dell Inspiron 4100 display went south. I was just about to order a new laptop, when I thought to my self "I wonder if I can hook an external display up?" Well here it is, and I have to say its a lot better than havingto start all over and re-load all the stuff that it takes to run. Last time I had to replace the hard drive it took me over 40 hrs off and on to get the laptop up and fully functional. GRRRRRRR!

Old 01-21-2007, 08:55 AM
1st Gear Member

yea we finnally made the decision to upgrade our portable computer systemery(sp?). we have a few desktops in the family but my dad wanted to upgrade the house laptop to a new laptop for him and his job. dont know what the make on it is but it has a shiny exterior and a large 17" screen(" means inches right?) . oh yea it also has this cool built in webcam. pretty fast. so what the specs on your new one, itunes, Vista, all the other goodies?

Old 01-21-2007, 09:56 AM
1st Gear Member

The specs on my new one? Look closer, I took a 5 year old laptop, folded the top all the way back and set a 19 inch flat panel right on top of it, the VGA output still works, just the back light went out. I was all set to order a new one from Dell, but this will work for now.

Old 01-21-2007, 06:06 PM
1st Gear Member

oh I thought you were saying this worked after you had ordered a new one.
ORIGINAL: deej

The specs on my new one? Look closer, I took a 5 year old laptop, folded the top all the way back and set a 19 inch flat panel right on top of it, the VGA output still works, just the back light went out. I was all set to order a new one from Dell, but this will work for now.

Old 01-21-2007, 06:48 PM
1st Gear Member

No problem Rusty, and look just when I thought I was satisfied for the moment, I found this...Dang it. Oh well.Watch the video.

http://reviews.cnet.com/Dell_XPS_M20...-31898796.html

Old 01-21-2007, 09:07 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Deej,
The display looks sweet man. Congrats.

Old 01-21-2007, 10:11 PM
1st Gear Member

dang deej dont waste all that money on a freekin 20lb laptop, that is a waste!

Old 01-21-2007, 11:56 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Rusty FJ

dang deej dont waste all that money on a freekin 20lb laptop, that is a waste!
I disagree, that thing is saweeeeeeeeet!!!, besides I don't really use a laptop for travel all that much, well unless you count from the bedroom to the front room to the garage. And yes I could just buy a desktop, but I already have one of those.[sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 01-23-2007, 02:08 AM
1st Gear Member

I have the best of both worlds. I have an ultra portable SZ series VAIO laptop with the dual core processor (weighs less than four pounds), and a liquid cooled VAIO media center desktop with 670GB of hard drive space mostly used for tv recordings.Oh, and a 24" 1920X1200 res. monitor to go with it.

Yes, I know I'm bragging. lol [8D]

Quick Reply: Laptop display died