Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

Kobalt tools form Lowes, thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 11:06 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Kobalt tools form Lowes, thoughts?

Hey everyone, one of the things I love about the woman I'm with is she loves tools and being @ Lowes as much as I do. I was looking at their tool chests from Kobalt, which drove us to look at kobalt tools. Does anyone use them? How do they strand up?

Thanks.

BC

Old 06-01-2008, 02:22 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Kobalt tools form Lowes, thoughts?

Most toolboxes are made from only two big manufacturers. Blue point is one of them, I can't remember the other. As long as the toolbox uses roller bearings on the drawer slides, and feels solid, I don't think you'll have any problems with it. I own a Craftsman stainless steel chest & cabinet, and have not had any problems with it so far. Personally though, I wish mine was wider than 26 inches. Some of my tools are either too long to fit, or have to be put in sideways. Just something to consider before you make your purchase.

Old 06-01-2008, 10:02 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Moved

I have the Kennedy chests for my machine tools, Craftsman for the auto and bike stuff. And the Roll away Snap On box with top. They all still work well. But none of my tools are 1 1/2" combo wrenches plus or 1" drive stuff.

Old 06-02-2008, 06:38 AM
1st Gear Member

Ted.. you have the uber toolboxes, man.. C'mon! Kennedy!? Snap-On!?

we're not multi-millionaires like you.

psshtt.

i make my own toolboxes out of aluminum plate.

lol

kobalt is good stuff man.. i've neva eva had a problem with the sockets or whatever i've gotten from lowes. they're warrantied, so if ya break em, take em back.. get new chit, then go break the new chit!! YAY!

but seriously. i know alot of ppl with lowes stuff.. air compressors, air tools, hand tools, tool boxes.. never heard a complaint thus far.

but i honestly DO make most of my own tools and i have a baller aluminum box i have to TIG together.. just milledthe rails and turned down some rollers for it.. nice, smooth drawers.. this thing is a tank!! .250", 6061 T6 plate. LOL.. bulletproof, it is.

i'm jusssssayin' [&:]

Old 06-02-2008, 06:42 AM
1st Gear Member

Making your own toolboxes? Now that's hardcore![sm=icon_rock.gif]

Have any pics?

Old 06-02-2008, 07:59 AM
1st Gear Member

i definitely will when i weld it all up.. i'll snap a few of the drawer and rails and stuff i made today tho when i go in at 3pm.. just gotta find time to finish it.. i do this at work..lol

and thats the only place i have access to the CNC stuff, lathes, and TIG welders.. we were totally dead for a few weeks.. now all my little side projects have been forced to the back burner for "real" work. all these guvmint jobs and top secret crap. oh, yay.

Old 06-02-2008, 01:29 PM
1st Gear Member

kobalt tools aren't indestructable - but if you take care of them (clean them and oil if necessary) then they will take care of you.

Old 06-02-2008, 05:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the input guys, I know what I'm buying with this paycheck besides a Yosh exaust

Old 06-02-2008, 05:08 PM
1st Gear Member

I like kobalt tools and lowes because they carry some small sockets that HD does not carry, but for a tool box, i have a rolling stand up one that i got from sams that has served me well so far.

Old 06-02-2008, 05:09 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

my dad has 50K$ in snap on, matco, mac, ect tools..... in a 15K$ tool box, my favorite tools are snap on... but i dont have that budget.... i have craftsman tools.

Quick Reply: Kobalt tools form Lowes, thoughts?