Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

killer news right hurr

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 05:33 AM
1st Gear Member
Default killer news right hurr

ok. so earlier tonight i was out in the street with 3 of my best friends waiting for nicks grandma to pick him up to go to his dads house... so were just standing around chillin, and i was feeling a bit optimistic... didnt think much of it til i reached in my sweater for my butts when my finger splint clanged off the keys to the formy. i took it as a sign and walked over to the car, stuck the key in the ignition and turned it... and instead of the old CLAMK i got before, i got about 3 rotations before the battery died!!!!!!!!!! i got out and started dancing i guess i was right about the head gasket, the anti freeze must of sept between the rings ans wall in the time its been sitting there, because it cranked!!!!!! im going to have the gasket replaced asap and se it the antifreeze/water caused any corrosion in the cylinder/cylinders it was in... if so then im going to have it bored out to a 383, considering it would cost me about the same amount of $ for a new engine/install anyway. point being my engine turned over and i might have it on the road before it snows now. you have no idea how happy i am

Old 12-06-2008, 05:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Take the plugs out and crank it to purge all of that antifreeze out of the cyclinders befor it rusts your block! Then shoot some oil into the cylinders and crank it again. If it cranks easy, of course it was liquid lockup.

Old 12-06-2008, 08:05 PM
1st Gear Member

freakin A dude.... hope you get it up and going soon!

Old 12-06-2008, 10:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by chik636rydr
freakin A dude.... hope you get it up and going soon!
thats what she said

seriously though, im gonna take it to another shop and have them replace both headgaskets, just to be safe. and at the same time im gonna tell them to look at the condition of the cylinders, if theyre shatty im gonna have them bore it out to a 383 (its currently a 350) to get rid of the surface rust/corrosion. the way i see it, i was looking at spending 3-5K between a new block and a swap, so if i can go spend 2-3K on new gaskets and a 383ci bore im doin pretty good

i was gonna drain the block out yesterday, but it was my best bros b-day and today i woke up half an hour after my shift started and i just got in now, but its dark. so my plan is to not sleep tonight and as soon as the sun comes up im gonna go out and drain it. then im gonna shoot to wal-fart in the jeep and help myself to a few gallons of penetrating oil and fill the block with it, then have AAA take it to a (good) shop and let them deal with it from there.

Old 12-07-2008, 12:22 AM
1st Gear Member

You do know a 383 is not just a bored out 350... right? You get a 383 by going .030 over and taking the 350 crank out and replacing it with the crank of a 400ci along with the rods. It is a stroker motor(The rods out of a 400ci motor are longer than a 350) that most of time puts out time more torgue than HP's. If you do it right you should expect about 500HP's and about 550lb/ft of torque with no the spray. The average cost to build such a motor with such output is about 5G's..

I hope you get 'R done. It is one of my favorite small blocks because of its head snapping torgue...

Steve

Old 12-07-2008, 01:32 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by buffalony
500HP's and about 550lb/ft of torque with no the spray.
dude. hell yeah.

im sure i can find a set of used 400ci crank and rods. and most of the people around here are cool, if i ask them to bore it, they have to take the crank and what not out anyway, i dont see why they wouldnt be cool about it and put the 400ci parts in during the re-assembly. not to mention theres a billion shops around here, rt.28 has 3 within a mile or so of eachother, if i cant get one to do it im sure i can get another to do.

only thing that would concern me about that is my rear end, im prety sure its not set up for 500+hp....

oh well i just wont put it to the floor to quick

Old 12-07-2008, 01:42 AM
1st Gear Member

Your not going to see 500HP's unless you get better heads, DART or edelbrock, and a much better fuel management system then most stock small blocks have. Keep in mind most blocks have to be "clearenced" for the longer rods.

Good luck with that. The most fun you will ever have with that motor will be finding out just how much your stock rearend will take. Your next issue will be hooking all that power to the payment without spinning the tires off the rims.

Let me know how that works out for you.

Old 12-07-2008, 01:47 AM
1st Gear Member

you can bet your *** i will

i cant afford aftermarket heads just yet, but that can/will come down the line. and i planned on asking for a fuel management/injector set for christmas/b-day

and my yokohama's already spin like theyre made of ky jelly... this is gonna be fun

Old 12-07-2008, 02:21 AM
1st Gear Member

sounds like you have a plan now lets see how things work out and keep us posted on how things go and post up some pic's of you smoking those tires

Old 12-07-2008, 02:27 AM
1st Gear Member

lol, no prob..
i just talked to my dad about it. hes not to fond of the idea of me having a faster car, but he also knows what he was like at my age and i think hes gonna go for it, he'll be reluctant, but he will.

as far as paying for it, hes letting me use his chase card... it has $0 on it as of now... he said i can use it cus the minimum monthly payment is like $40 somehitng, so i should be able to make every payment no prob. not to mention he has almost perfect credit. however, if i **** this up, he will beat me relentlessly day in and day out til i fix it

but whatever, i can handle $80 something a month... gas is only like $1.60 now and i have no other permanent obligations/out going cash flow.

Quick Reply: killer news right hurr