Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

Joy of Riding

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 05:11 AM
Default Joy of Riding

Some say it has always confused them how people can put themselves in the most out of control, life threatening and harmful situations and still seem enjoy it—but then again, they’ve never actually ridden a motorcycle. There’s something about the undeniable fear you gain before riding, and the shaking hands you experience after that makes the actual state of riding all the much better. There is a terrible fear for your own safety you experience as you wobble off the start wanting nothing more than to shut your eyes as the bike accelerates under you. But somewhere between realizing your actually speeding down the road, and furiously gripping the handle bars as you go into the first turn, you realize that your fear and anticipation, your worries and anxieties, they have all disappeared, and all that’s left is a strive to make yourself flow; as if the turns of the road are a changing puzzle to which you have memorized the pieces and can mold and place them smoothly as they appear. As if you are playing music perfectly in harmony with the swooping turns and imperfections of the road—your mind loses all knowledge of rationality and care for safety and falls into trance; only causing you to strive harder and faster to try new combinations of the puzzle until the millions of pieces, as if pixels on a television, align from a once meaningless blur into a perfectly clear, unbelievably recognizable image. Your insecurities needs and worries are fulfilled at once as the mind pleasuring patterns and motions poor into your body causing nothing but the purist form of one. As if you are listening to music so involving and so entrancing you can do nothing to keep yourself from planning your turns, shifting gears, leaning, and accelerating your way out. This continues all the way through the track, causing you to feel such independence and such confidence of your own ability that suddenly a turn is taken to hard, a tire skids and all at once your mind and body are snapped back into reality, once again becoming aware of sore knees, shaking hands, and a rationality that forces your once invincible brain to again consider consequences and safety. Your drive or “need” for speed in the patterns of the turns is reduced back to only slightly more then what it was at the start, and the process must be repeated; pushing oneself just a little bit further with each attempt and newly acquired feel for the limits of the bike and road. It’s no wonder people feel such a connection with their motorcycle; you gain a feeling of knowing your bike through discovering its limits and abilities. It is something that is yours only yours and can always take you wherever you want to go. A bike gives such a feeling of independence, rush, relaxation, harmony, and connection that it isn’t hard to imagine why people who own them find themselves riding everyday.

Old 10-03-2006, 06:45 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Joy of Riding

aiie-ya! thought it'd be easier broken up, but i just dont have that great of an attention span.

ORIGINAL: Knivez
[X(]Some say it has always confused them how people can put themselves in the most out of control, life threatening and harmful situations and still seem enjoy it—but then again, they’ve never actually ridden a motorcycle.

[]There’s something about the undeniable fear you gain before riding, and the shaking hands you experience after that makes the actual state of riding all the much better.

[]There is a terrible fear for your own safety you experience as you wobble off the start wanting nothing more than to shut your eyes as the bike accelerates under you.

[>:]But somewhere between realizing your actually speeding down the road, and furiously gripping the handle bars as you go into the first turn, you realize that your fear and anticipation, your worries and anxieties, they have all disappeared, and all that’s left is a strive to make yourself flow; as if the turns of the road are a changing puzzle to which you have memorized the pieces and can mold and place them smoothly as they appear.

As if you are playing music perfectly in harmony with the swooping turns and imperfections of the road—your mind loses all knowledge of rationality and care for safety and falls into trance; only causing you to strive harder and faster to try new combinations of the puzzle until the millions of pieces, as if pixels on a television, align from a once meaningless blur into a perfectly clear, unbelievably recognizable image.

[:-]Your insecurities needs and worries are fulfilled at once as the mind pleasuring patterns and motions poor into your body causing nothing but the purist form of one. As if you are listening to music so involving and so entrancing you can do nothing to keep yourself from planning your turns, shifting gears, leaning, and accelerating your way out.

[&:]This continues all the way through the track, causing you to feel such independence and such confidence of your own ability that suddenly a turn is taken to hard, a tire skids and all at once your mind and body are snapped back into reality, once again becoming aware of sore knees, shaking hands, and a rationality that forces your once invincible brain to again consider consequences and safety.

[8D]Your drive or “need” for speed in the patterns of the turns is reduced back to only slightly more then what it was at the start, and the process must be repeated; pushing oneself just a little bit further with each attempt and newly acquired feel for the limits of the bike and road.

It’s no wonder people feel such a connection with their motorcycle; you gain a feeling of knowing your bike through discovering its limits and abilities. It is something that is yours only yours and can always take you wherever you want to go.

A bike gives such a feeling of independence, rush, relaxation, harmony, and connection that it isn’t hard to imagine why people who own them find themselves riding everyday.

Old 10-03-2006, 07:51 AM
1st Gear Member

awesome paragraph. whered u find it?

Old 10-03-2006, 08:53 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Ya, that's pretty darn cool. I am going to have to print that one out and give it to my HD buddies!! lol

Old 10-03-2006, 11:09 AM

amen

Old 10-03-2006, 01:59 PM
1st Gear Member

+1 Well said!

Old 10-03-2006, 05:37 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

yup +2

Old 10-03-2006, 09:06 PM
1st Gear Member

That is a great story.. I think it is very true.. I havent even tried to fix my car since I started riding my bike.. I plan on trying to ride it all year.. Safe riding.. Chris

Old 10-03-2006, 09:34 PM
1st Gear Member

my morning and evening commutes through the twisty backroads and streets are often the best part of my day. No bitching boss, no whineing wife, no phone calls from dead beat relatives...just me, the bike, and the road. The morning commute lately has been the best. It is cooler in the morning, the air crisp and cool so the bike runs like butter. I'm usually a little bummed when I finally pull into the parking lot at the office.

Thx for sharing that story...

Old 10-04-2006, 03:52 AM

awesome paragraph. whered u find it?
I wrote it.
And ya it didnt copy over too well from Word sorry for the big clump of words heh

Quick Reply: Joy of Riding