Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

I went to a gun store today

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 03:37 AM
1st Gear Member

I've got a Ruger GP100 .357 Magnum and Santa got me a Maverick 88 shotgun for Christmas. I'm thinking I better get an AR-15 before they are banned.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:07 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Here is my AR with newly installed P4 sniper scope. Some magpul goodies....
Name:  2012-12-28_14-59-01_29.jpg
Views: 4
Size:  167.5 KB

Im having a hard time finding ammo. I need to sight in the iron sights and the scope but dont want to shoot the ammo i got....

Old 01-02-2013, 11:08 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Brieninsac
I've got a Ruger GP100 .357 Magnum and Santa got me a Maverick 88 shotgun for Christmas. I'm thinking I better get an AR-15 before they are banned.
Ruger 9mm, Kel Tec 9mm, Stevens security 12 ga 18 1/2" barrel, Ruger M77 .308, My AR(stock)

Old 01-03-2013, 04:11 AM
1st Gear Member

Damn, you got some ****! Did you build your AR yourself? Your lucky you can have 30 round clips. They're going for over $50 each now. Crazy!

Old 01-04-2013, 06:38 PM

I went to a gun store this morning to buy an AR-15 lower receiver. I was stunned when I opened the door and saw at least 30 customers lining the counters and they had just opened! People were buying 1,000 round cases of ammo and guns flying off the shelf. I have never seen anything like it. You'd think we were going to war any day now. Truly an eye opening experience.
Sheeple running scared.

Old 01-05-2013, 03:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by red
yea it's because of the legislation Obama will be pushing through.
Now don't single it out to only the Obama administration, after EVERY major shooting for DECADES, there has always been a rush to buy firearms afterwards. There is always the fear mongering done by organizations and people that something will be banned. That was pointed out by an expert on a news show I was listening to. He was a former life member of the NRA and I believe in their organization at one time. He left because of their total uncooperative attitudes, but is still a valid voice. He was not in favor of any bans for the same reasons I would not be.

First, unless the entire world was cleansed of all assult weapons, even if the government was magically able to eliminate them in the country, my guess is it would take all of thirty seconds for assult weapons to be brought in across the borders in hundreds if not thousands of places. Most of those would first be in the hands of someone planning crime of some sort, aka gang/drugs. So it isn't worth it to even attempt. All you do is take them out of the hands of regular legal owners. Same thing with the magazine thing. Unless they are universally unavailable, it is a foolish endeavor. They'd be better off buying up the supply at gunshows to try to cut the supply, nothing else.

The expert was also the one who pointed out that most, if not all shootings could be done without the assult weapons and that the whole ban thing simply promotes sales - big sales. He said it has since the middle of the last century.

He pointed out an interesting thing. Seems a lot of owners of assult weapons are like my friend - former military. They kind of enjoy shooting a weapon like the one they were trained with when in the service. My friend just simiply wanted one to shoot. He now has a few, mostly due to good investment value. One has doubled due to this recent shooting, but even without that it was still a good buy for him.

My friend pointed out how any assult weapon ban simply sets up for the manufacturer to figure the "end around" to make them bypass the law. He pointed out the modification of the pistol grip type handle to become a stock with a grip opening, the machining off of the bayonet attachment threads (or whatever), and other changes to make it slide under the law. So with that, why bother?

Besides, as everyone says, when weapons are banned, only the criminals will have them (and I'm not talking ownership outside the law, I'm talking criminals that should be imprisoned).

Then you have the stupid newspaper that printed up the home addresses of permit owners. Talk about stupid, legal or not, stupid. Some felt it was an invasion of their rights, but the records are public. One sensible person interviewed said he felt it actually endangered those who were not shown to own guns. That's like putting up a flashing arrow that says "gun owner" and "maybe not a gun owner". Duh!

Oh, yes I do own a rifle. No hand gun, just don't feel like spending the money and my wife would flip. I just wanted a rifle to shoot around whenever I want. As said, I wouldn't support a ban by any stretch, but I won't support the NRA's ignorant "armed guards in schools" either. That must have taken like 20 seconds of thought on their part. Not to mention the "good PR" it got them. Foolishness at its best.

They should have sat down with some people, including teachers like myself, and actually talked about what is possible. Unless the NRA is willing to foot the bill for guards or increase ammunition and gun taxes to cover it, that is a foolish solution. My thoughts lean more toward chambered areas at entrances and in the halls where an intruder of any sort can be locked down with minimal risk to others and give teachers some kind of defense training. In my mind every loose thing in the classroom is a weapon to hit or throw at a threatening individual as they enter a room. I have a nice size fire extinguisher by the door in my classroom which could do a nasty if swung properly and spray a mess if discharged.

Just some thoughts there.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Owning guns was never a priority for me, largely because I didn't have the money when I was younger. But after 9/11 I wanted to have a gun for an emergency. Even then I didn't buy a flashy semi-auto but rather a reliable 6 shooter. I'd been wanting a home defense shotgun for a long time and finally got one for Christmas. But after Sandy Hook and the increasing talk of banning AR-15's has me wanting to get one.

I have very little faith in my fellow man and want to be able to protect my property and family if the SHTF. And a AR would be a suitable weapon to do so. We (California) already have the strictest gun laws in the country, the only thing next for the state to do is ban them.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:32 AM
red
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
Now don't single it out to only the Obama administration, after EVERY major shooting for DECADES, there has always been a rush to buy firearms afterwards. There is always the fear mongering done by organizations and people that something will be banned.
Agreed this is not the first time they have used this tactic (use every disaster to it's fullest potential right?), just pointing out that it was more of a factor with the recent gun sales than the Mayan 'end of the world' thing.

I'm former military as well, enjoy shooting alot. Have a few weapons lying around the house. Next I want to build up either a M14 or a P90

Old 01-07-2013, 11:17 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Damn, you got some ****! Did you build your AR yourself? Your lucky you can have 30 round clips. They're going for over $50 each now. Crazy!
I know, they were 15 or 18$ when my dad ordered them for me for christmas. I got 4 30 round clips. Crazy. I bought the AR complete, added vertical grip and new handguard.

I just really irritated that i cant find .223 ammo anywhere. All i wanna do is shoot it...

Old 01-09-2013, 04:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Just wait, in 2 or 3 months, ammo will be back on the shelves. When Obama was first elected, ammo disapeared off the shelves, but after the initial scare was over it came back. I think buying an assult rifle and hi-cap mags has changed forever once the new law is in effect, but ammo will return.
Get online and order some from Cabelas!

Quick Reply: I went to a gun store today