Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

I knew this day would come.......

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 03:24 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Angry I knew this day would come.......

My 9 year old laptop HD died over the weekend. I knew this was going to happen because a dozen times in the last 3 months the machine would give me the message in DOS that the HD could not be found, and I massaged it back to life. I was just about to order 3 new machines through Dell on my Preferred Account when I got a letter telling me that I was no longer a preferred customer. So screw you Dell!!!

Anyway I lost a huge amount of pictures, and e-mails that I didn't have backed up over the network to my other computer. The HD was a 40, and so I stuck in the new 20GBHD that I got by accident 6 years ago, and it already had the XP system on it, and I was able to drag all of the docs and pics that I actually did backup over the years ....I know welcome back to the 90's right? Anyway until I can afford a new machine and a 500G external HD to prevent this from ever happening again, I have a question for all you Photo bucket guys out there.

Is there a way to migrate or copy all of your photo bucket pictures from there to a PC? I need to get a copy of all 800 pictures from there as some of them are now the only copy I have, and I don't want to do the whole copy/paste thing for each picture, because that will take 40 hours.

Any thoughts and words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated....

Old 08-19-2009, 03:33 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

hmm not sure. you don't have a IT dept to recover your data for you? tax dollars wasted ....lol

Old 08-19-2009, 05:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Correction: I have 2512 files on there. YIKES!!!

Old 08-19-2009, 05:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by hoedogg
hmm not sure. you don't have a IT dept to recover your data for you? tax dollars wasted ....lol

Actually my IT guys are awesome, and have helped me so many times over the years on thier own time, weekends and late nights when I called in a panic. However I think the HD is toast, and I am not spending hundreds if not more to recover anything. Life goes on, mistakes made, lessons learned, milk spilled, crying done. I just want to get and save all of my pics on photo bucket. I think that will make me feel somewhat better.

Old 08-19-2009, 06:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Deej, we at KF are so sorry for the loss of your old friend, and obviously part of your family. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to lessen your sorrow.

Sincerely.......Worlok and the gang.

Deej, when I saw this thread, I honestly thought one of your friends or your dog had passed on!

But seriously, sorry about the old laptop. Keep em backed up Bro!

Old 08-19-2009, 06:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks Worlok....your sarcasm mean a lot to me. LOL It has been a good friend. But I guess even good friends will eventually leave you...one way or another. But the memories live on in my head....at least until Alzheimer's sets in which could be any day now.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:25 PM
1st Gear Member

I am always here for ya Bro

Old 08-19-2009, 11:03 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Worlok14
I am always here for ya Bro
hahaha, what? the alzheimers waiting to happen?

Old 08-19-2009, 11:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Alright deej, I thought I was going to have to use photobucket's api and C# to help ya, but the website will do it for ya.

Open your album, the box on the left under your User Name has "Share this album" In there you will see "Download this album" .... click that text and it will zip it for you....you do know what zip is right.

It will take a while but it'll do it.

Old 08-20-2009, 05:06 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Finger Mullet
Alright deej, I thought I was going to have to use photobucket's api and C# to help ya, but the website will do it for ya.

Open your album, the box on the left under your User Name has "Share this album" In there you will see "Download this album" .... click that text and it will zip it for you....you do know what zip is right.

It will take a while but it'll do it.
Hey FM thanks, but I figured it out earlier tonight. That's exactly what I did. And it took a while for sure, especially when I had like 40 albums, and you have to put in that stupid anti-spam code every time, and half the time I couldn't make out the numbers, but whatever. With all of that, and the fact that I did actually back up all my pictures through the network on the library machine, it looks like I have recovered around 90% of the 10GB of pics that I thought I had lost forever.

Since Dell decided that I'm not a "preferred" customer any longer, it will probably be a while before I can afford a new machine or 2 so in the mean time I have decided that I need to backup and protect what I have, so I talked to Sro tonight and he recommended a Western Digital external back up hard drive. I can get a full TB for $119.00, so that's my next thing to do ASAP!!

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...6&Sku=W10-3118

Let this be a lesson to anyone out there. Don't be an idiot like me and assume that everything is ok, oh sure I had a backup system, but both of my machines are 9 years old, and that is not a good system.

Quick Reply: I knew this day would come.......