Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

GPS Mount

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 04:29 AM
1st Gear Member
Default GPS Mount

A few weeks ago I bought a Garmin Nuvi 750 with the intention of using it on the bike for tracking random ventures. Initially I thought about velcro-ing it to the tank, but did some research, and also got some input from a friend who pointed me to ram-mounts.com. By going through their complete components list (and my god are there a lot), and working with one of their reps on the phone - I was able to come up with a much better and incredibly solid solution, and wouldn't have me sticking things onto the tank. Total cost - about $35.

The cradle wraps firmly around the GPS unit, and also has a quick-release tab at the top to quickly take it with you.

The bar diameter for the mirror stay was only 12mm, and the mount needed closer to 3/4ths of an inch. On top of that, I didn't really want to tear up the paint on the stay while clamping down on it - so I used a section of rubber tube and sliced it open to wrap around the bar...

Next mount the lower clamp and ball...

Then the connecting rod (available in a variety of lengths), upper ball and mount to the wrap-around cradle.

Pop in the GPS and try different positions (that's what she said)

This could work - but it is way below the line of sight going to the gauge cluster, and leaves it somewhat exposed...

This looks more promising in its proximity to the gauges as well as line-of-sight, and tucks it under the windscreen also...

View from above...

Profile view of the arrangement of the mount for that position and angle

Cradle on mount, less the GPS

Last edited by srobak; 04-20-2012 at 08:03 PM.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:46 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

good mount......I have a clear map flap on my tank bag that my gps fits in perfectly and makes it waterproof. Have the fun tho, is getting lost. LOL

Old 03-26-2009, 06:56 AM
1st Gear Member

loooks good sro. ive got about 100 bucks to bestbuy in gift cards. im thinking ill get that. not sure though

Old 03-26-2009, 02:04 PM
1st Gear Member

It had it's first test ride this morning. 40 miles commute at 70 to 80mph on I88 and I355... no problems, solid as a rock. A++ recommendation http://www.ram-mount.com

Old 03-26-2009, 02:20 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Cool Sro, that looks like it was made for the bike. I do however have one comment, and this is no way a reflection personally toward you bike, but you would think that in all of the evolutionary progress that has been made on motorcycles over the past 100+ years they could somehow figure out a way to hide or camouflage the front brake reservoir. Every time I see a bike, that ugly thing sticks out like a sore thumb. Can't they come up with another option? I know I know the fluid has to be close and high enough to do its job, but come on they need to try harder on this.

Old 03-26-2009, 02:35 PM
1st Gear Member

looks real good dude,, Props

Old 03-26-2009, 03:02 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

looks good sro!

Old 03-26-2009, 03:10 PM
1st Gear Member

I don't mind it there, actually. In fact - I kinda miss having another reservoir on the left for a hydraulic clutch.

Now - that being said - you do know my bike is 12 years old, right? The newer ones are lower profile, better contoured, and usually painted to match the color of the bars or whatever, etc...

Old 03-27-2009, 01:53 AM
1st Gear Member

scrobak.....I gotta ask, why didn't you get a Garmin Zumo?

Yours is not waterproof right?...or is it?

btw...nice sig...

Old 03-27-2009, 02:10 AM
1st Gear Member

Because I didn't want to pay $400+ for a GPS. The 750 does what I want and was on clearance at Sam's. No it is not waterproof - but I don't ride in the rain. I have a ziplock bag in my inside coat pocket specifically for the garmin, should it start raining... stop, put it in the bag, put the bag in my jacket. I'm not too worried.

Quick Reply: GPS Mount