Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

Google Phonebook

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 02:52 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member
Default Google Phonebook

Google has implemented a new feature which enables you to type a telephone number into the search bar and hit enter and you will be given the person's name and address. If you then hit Map you will get a map to the person's house. Everyone should be aware of this! It's a nationwide reverse telephone book.

If a child gives out his/her phone number, someone can now look it up to find out where he/she lives. The safety issues are obvious, and alarming!!!

Note that you can have your phone number removed or blocked. I tried my number and it came up along with the mapquest and directions straight to our house. I did fill out the removal form for myself, and encourage all of you to do the same. Quite scary!

Please look up your own number!!!!!!!

In order to test whether your phone number is mapped, go to: Google (
http://www.google.com/ ) Type your phone number in the search bar (i.e. 555-555-1212) and hit enter. If you want to BLOCK Google from divulging your private information, simply click on your telephone number and then click on the Removal Form. Removal takes 48-hours.

Check your own number and (although this may not apply to you if you have an unlisted number or cell phone as primary contact).

You may know someone who needs to know this -that would have little kids.

It takes Sex Offenders right to your front door!!

Please share this information with friends and family.

Old 10-01-2007, 04:07 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Google Phonebook

Yet another reason why everyone should switch to cell phones and get rid of landlines alltogether. Stupid for a family of 4 to pay for a home line when everyone has a phone on their hip and uses a shared minutes plan anyhow, especially with all the no-roaming plans, rollover minutes, etc etc... Land lines should be a thing of the past, except for businesses.

Also - reverse number lookups are nothing new - they have been free for a decade. Google just makes it a bit more on the forefront.

Old 10-01-2007, 08:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Mine not on there, maybe because it is a digital phone....and listed as private.
Sometimes it is a requirement to have a landline for some employers...it's stupid though.

Old 10-01-2007, 08:51 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: zzrick
Sometimes it is a requirement to have a landline for some employers.
Eh? What does this mean? An employer requires you to have a land line? For what? Screw that... employer wants me to have a landline - employer pays for my landline. Otherwise - they have several other ways to contact me in addition to the cell phone that is always on and always at the hip.

Old 10-01-2007, 09:02 PM
1st Gear Member

In the military some places required it. What do you expect...it's the gov't.They probably don't anymore now that cell phones are more reliable. But that was only a few years ago...most of us just said F-you...I didn't have a landline. I'm just sayin'...thats why alot of people did.

Old 10-02-2007, 03:43 AM
1st Gear Member

hell ive known about google phone thing for several years now. its nothing new

Old 10-02-2007, 03:53 AM
1st Gear Member

That is why my wife and I only have cell phones.

Old 10-02-2007, 04:08 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Well I put in my phone number and the map is off by almost 50 miles, but why would this be a problem. Just greet them at the door with this.

Name:  P8132850.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  36.8 KB

Old 10-02-2007, 04:15 AM

none of my numbers are listed on google, not that i really care, if someone i don't want tries to come on my property let em, between Dr. Glock, Mr. AR15 and Mrs Kevlar i don't think they are gonna make it

Old 10-02-2007, 04:20 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I do find it not so funny that one of the advertises on this site is a site where you can find an address with a phone number. You can't stop it all.

Quick Reply: Google Phonebook