Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

Florida Vacation & Tropical Storm Fay

Old 08-29-2008, 08:17 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default Florida Vacation & Tropical Storm Fay

We went to Port St. Lucie, FL on vacation last week. Guess who was there to greet us and show us a good time?

This was Sunday, the first day there. We arrived in the afternoon.

By Monday and Tuesday, it looked like this, mostly 65 MPH winds and driving rain all day and all night and all day the next day and even more the next night. This is a result first of one of the outer bands hitting us Monday night while the storm was making landfall around Naples, FL. Then it worked its way across the panhandle and just skirted us to the north on Tuesday night. Those were the highest winds and driving rain.

After that, it worked its way up the coast a ways and just hung out there for several days, keeping it windy and wet the whole trip. So the rest of the week was continuous high wind and on and off hard driving rain. We got to see a boat sink in the causeway later in the week. We didn't see the owners around. I'm sure they are not happy.

Here's a clip of what it was like in a protected alcove of our 7th floor balcony. I think this was Monday or maybe Tuesday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyRQtLGeIxE&fmt=18

So that was our vacation at the beach.

Old 08-29-2008, 11:26 PM
1st Gear Member

dude, that sucks

Old 08-29-2008, 11:59 PM
1st Gear Member

shyt man, talk about luck....

shoulda rented a jetski

Old 08-30-2008, 06:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Northerners

You pick a fun week to come visit. BTW it was nice Monday and Wednesday. Snook were slamming at the spillways on Wednesday after work.

That lil storm was a non-event. No businesses closed, I went to work and everyone I know did too. Shoot Brian, you were in a hotel/condo on the beach, that is not allowed or wise during a REAL storm.

btw you never saw 65 mph, perhaps 40 or 45 just a little tropical blow. There was only one recorded 60 mph and that was on Lake O.

Now if you want to see a little real 100+ mph between rainbands when the 120+ mph stuff hits with rain and higher gusts.

Old 08-30-2008, 06:52 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Ha ha, I guarantee you it was not nice Monday or Wednesday where we were. See photos and video above.

65 MPH is what the local news said, maybe they were referring to gusts. Seemed pretty windy to me. Fay killed 11 people in FL. I think most of the deaths were people in cars that drowned, as in most storms. There was a bronco with the roof just peaking out of the high water off the side of the road nearby us. The local news said the people inside were rescued by some passersby. So flooding was the biggest concern, especially since it moved so slow.

Old 08-30-2008, 07:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nobrakes
65 MPH is what the local news said, maybe they were referring to gusts. Seemed pretty windy to me. Fay killed 11 people in FL. I think most of the deaths were people in cars that drowned, as in most storms. There was a bronco with the roof just peaking out of the high water off the side of the road nearby us. The local news said the people inside were rescued by some passersby. So flooding was the biggest concern, especially since it moved so slow.
LOL...Gotta luv our local news they hype up everything. They constantly have stories like "Terror on the Turnpike" or "Horror on the Highway"....its comical.

Saint Lucie is only 30 miles north of me...so the conditions couldn't have been much worse than they were for me.....but I'm a Cracker and grew up with these storms so I may not give them much credit.

The flooding is always bad in Port Saint Lucie....it's considered the armpit of the area and was built on a swamp. If you build houses in a depression expect to get flooded, water always knows which way is downhill.

BTW I could have recommended some great local eats just to the south of where you stayed .... in Stuart......actually I was fishing Friday night in the river my skiff just south of where you stayed.

Old 08-30-2008, 07:58 PM
1st Gear Member

^^^agreed. it did seem sort of baby-ish, but im also in the tampa bay area.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:17 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Finger Mullet
BTW I could have recommended some great local eats just to the south of where you stayed .... in Stuart......actually I was fishing Friday night in the river my skiff just south of where you stayed.
I PM'd you early in the week, but got no response.

Old 08-30-2008, 11:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nobrakes
I PM'd you early in the week, but got no response.
Well I just looked and I have four unread pm's....if I don't get a pop-up, I'll never respond to a pm because I will not know it's there, I don't look for pm's ....checking them now...heh you may get one back, although a bit delayed.

Email me next time....I treat email like business.

Old 08-31-2008, 12:13 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Just FYI, there's an option you can set in the user cp to throw up a pop up when you get a PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Florida Vacation & Tropical Storm Fay