Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

Decided to saddle up today..180 miles!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 08:01 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Decided to saddle up today..180 miles!

hey BR....hit me up with some details. I found out im off that weekend and will probably stay at the holiday in express in portales if i go.

Old 06-06-2006, 08:10 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

chu got mail man !!

Old 06-06-2006, 08:35 AM

ORIGINAL: BigRig18Wheeler
lol...I'm taking the pics on a free hand camera mount!!! lol

Na, all freehand. I use the tank bag, and a piece of poor boy velcro to hold an old cheap camera down...If the roads not too twisty. etc, I'll turn her on, and snap a couple of quick pics.

Works good!! lol
I know I've always been riding and thinking... damn, if only I could have camera stuck on my head that would take nice pictures... 'cause I don't really care for the pictures I take when I reach a stopping point, but I don't want to be fussing w/my bag/camera when I'm on the road. I did stuff my MiniDV camcorder in my tankbag (facing forward) once and that worked out "ok". Maybe I'll try that again...

Old 06-06-2006, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

I actually thought about that Gerg!! Didn't how how the camcorder would do across bumps, etc, ya know..What I need is, a camera hard mounted somewhere, somehow, and then something like a button by the horn. So when you see something you like, just click the horn button, and voila, a pic! lol

All the good pics happen when you're driving and you can not have a free hand. There has to be something somewhere somebody made or has an idea to make something like that work!! lol..that was a long sentence!!

Old 06-06-2006, 07:20 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Nice pics looks like fun...........

Old 06-06-2006, 07:23 PM

Mine worked surprisingly well well over bumps. I stuffed the tankbag with lots of T-Shirts for padding & vibration dampening. You definately need some sort of image stabilization. Mine's got optical, but I've heard electronic is better for the kind of vibration on bikes. No matter, I've managed to dig up some software that'll do it post-production, so I'll give that a go.

It's the still's that I'd really like though, 'cause bike vids can get old, but a good picture seems to last a lifetime.

Old 06-08-2006, 07:38 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Ya I agree Gerg...I like stills myself. Did you cut a hole in the tank bag for the camera to to get vid through?

If I didn't have a tinted screen, I could use a suction cup radar mount and just reach up and snap....

Old 06-08-2006, 07:42 AM

Nah.. I just turned the bag around backwards and zipped it shut around the lens. My dad had an old wide-angle video-camera lens from his "over the shoulder" camera.. a little ring adapter and blamo, it fit right on my MiniDV.

So, backwards tankbag, t-shirts, and zipped up around the lens... Can you say cheap? The only thing I didn't use was duct-tape...

Old 06-08-2006, 07:46 AM
1st Gear Member

hey big...dunno if ima make it to the bike rally

Old 06-08-2006, 07:52 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

ha ha ha ha!! I like duct tape....lol....I am going to try that. I just bought a Digi Sony, not long ago, so this will be the test. Thanks for the advice man...

C'mon TX...I will be there for sure. I am going to head up Sat, and come back Sunday morning, after the Corona's wear off! lol lol...
I will get some pics. Should be a hella of a good time. Not as good as Ruidoso, but still pretty good. That would be cool if you could make it. If not, 4 corners rally for sure man.

Quick Reply: Decided to saddle up today..180 miles!