Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

Car Problem - any ideas?????

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 07:08 PM
Default RE: Car Problem - any ideas?????

ORIGINAL: bluebird

Thanks for the dance MK!! I'll let you know if I need you to do the other one for me! If I didn't love my car so much I would have done the "kick the rear quarter, work damn it, work damn it" dance!

Pete - the car is a 1991 Pontiac Firebird, and yes its only a V6 (there is a pic of it in my gallery)
that makes it tough...computer controlled....if it's not the easy mechanical stuff like a fuel filter, it could be something to do with a simple sensor, the part that's not simple is figuring out which sensor. I know if the air flow meter is bad that'll act like yours seems to be.

Old 11-09-2005, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator

I hope its something simple/mechanical - I hate screwing around with computerized crap on cars. Oh well I should know more tomorrow - hopefully all goes well!

Old 11-09-2005, 07:45 PM

I hope its something simple/mechanical - I hate screwing around with computerized crap on cars. Oh well I should know more tomorrow - hopefully all goes well!

werd!! Keep us informed...

Old 11-09-2005, 07:56 PM
1st Gear Member

If you have him check the spark plug wires too while your at it. Maybe one of them is bad. You might also have him check your fuel injectores if it's fuel injected they may be clogged since your car sat for a while. You might just want the mechanic do a complete tune up on the car. it shouldn't cost to much to do.

Hope some of these things help you out and hope the car starts and runs good for you.

Old 11-09-2005, 08:03 PM
Super Moderator

Fuel injectors are okay - they checked that. I think we are going to work our way back from plugs (that is if that doesn't fix it!), to wires, to ignition system and so on.....

The car had better start! I missed driving it this summer - but I had the bike to help out with that!

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! You guys/girls are GREAT! I'll update you later.

Old 11-09-2005, 08:51 PM

What kind of vehicle? I work in the service dept of a Chrysler dealer so anything from chrysler-dodge or jeep i can probably help ya. I can check service bulletins and stuff like that for other makes to. im just much more familiar with them

Old 11-09-2005, 08:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks guys/girls! I think I'm going to try the easiest cheapest thing - replacing spark plugs tonight (they haven't been changed since who knows when!) <...> And it is definately getting spark at the wires.
Even if the plugs were fouled or not running as hot as they should, it would not cause the car to not start. At worst - it would run rough. As you already know you are getting spark - this is not the problem.

Old 11-09-2005, 09:00 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Shane250

What kind of vehicle? I work in the service dept of a Chrysler dealer so anything from chrysler-dodge or jeep i can probably help ya. I can check service bulletins and stuff like that for other makes to. im just much more familiar with them
1991 Pontiac Firebird - 3.1L V6 - any suggestions would be greatly appreciated shane250!

Here is what has been done - EGR valve was replaced as the car was idling erratically and almost stalling when you came to a stop. The EGR valve that we put on was used. After putting it on, the car ran fine. We had to boost the car but let it run for quite some time (not sure exactly how long because I wasn't there). The car sat for at least two full days without being started. We started it up Monday night (started no problem), let it warm up a bit and then took it to my mechanic. On Tuesday, the mechanic started it up, drove it into the garage, did an inspection and an oil change. Started it up and pulled it back out into the lot. We went to pick it up last night and it would not start. It cranks over and seems like it wants to start but for some reason, just wouldn't. We put about 15 to 17 litres of gas in it, turned the key ahead, waited for the fuel pump to come on (we did this several times before trying to start it again) but still no luck. If there is any other info that I can pass on to you, let me know. Thanks again!

Old 11-09-2005, 09:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Now that I know the make and model and engine - I will lay a paycheck it is the fuel pump inside the tank.

Old 11-09-2005, 09:29 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: srobak

Now that I know the make and model and engine - I will lay a paycheck it is the fuel pump inside the tank.
You better not have jinxed me!!!!!! I hope not - I don't have the time to deal with removing the tank and replacing the fuel pump right now. I know from seeing it done that it is a long, annoying and tedious job to take out the fuel tank on firebirds and camaros.

Quick Reply: Car Problem - any ideas?????