Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

Buell test ride - curious

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 03:54 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Buell test ride - curious

I was reading my newest motorcycle mag and read the reviews of various 2009 models. The Buell 1125 CR review caught my eye- mainly because it is supposed to be a modern cafe racer (which I am into).
I decided to head out to my local H-D/Buell dealership and test ride one.

http://www.longhornhd.com/new_vehicl...ModelYear=2009

-#1 interesting fact is the price.... 11+ grand!
-the bike is very mean looking.....with interesting air scoops on the sides
-fit me well- 5'9 / avg build...
-It is very light- little less than 400 lbs
-when they brought it to the front..it had a low...GRUNGY...brub..brub...brub.. very different than the smooth idle of comparable jap-sportbikes
-riding I found it very flickable....(it was super-windy in North Texas today)..in the tuck pos...the tank fit perfectly in my abs and chest....(comfortable)
-Torque and pull was off the hook---the bike wanted to rip out of my hands...super fast!!
-it was wierd ..the engine was smooth but not...I cant explain it...you'll have to see ur-self..
-the big issue I felt was ---as soon as you throttle down the engine revs down too fast and you feel a big pull forward every time...(maybe remedied after engine break-in??)
-brakes were good and really grabbed...controls/instruments were good- the start button is on the left though..key on the right!!
- rode for 15-20 min
-parking back at the dealership- I had trouble finding the neutral....so did the salesman...so tranny may have an issue?..(again maybe fixed after break in)....kick stand is tucked away big time, so it is hard to get down....
-The salesperson was easy going and didnt push a sale (he had just finished one with some old couple, so he was probably tired = good timing on my part)

Power = wow
ergos= good for me
looks= nothing like it -gets looks
quirks= a few
throttle= needs attention
price= hmmmm
I cant give an exact overall rating---so I guess it is not a 10...
comes down to just what you want and $$$!! Check it out though if you dig it somewhat...

thats it....Sorry for the long post...I had fun test riding it-I just though someone may be interested...
Rock n roll and Ride safely....

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Ne...?&R=EPI-105204

Last edited by texaskaw750; 12-27-2008 at 05:28 AM.
Old 12-27-2008, 07:32 AM
The Dude
1st Gear Member

the strong engine break is normal for a V-twin motor. I love the sound of V-twins, that's why after my 636 I picked up an RC-51. Here is a video clip of how my bike sounds http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8srQI1IaRXY
Like the buell it has a crap load of torque. So when you open the throttle it just pulls hard from start to finish. There is no really huge kick like with an inline 4 just smooth power that keeps building. With twins its kind of a love or hate thing. I really miss reving the **** out of my 636. Twins tend to have lower redlines. My Rc red lines at 10k.

Old 12-27-2008, 11:50 PM
1st Gear Member

the rc 51's are nice bikes. It sounds good with the exaust there aszrael. I realy don't care for the looks of the buell. If i could pick up a v-twin it would be the tl-1000 they sound nice with a aftermarket pipes on them. but i'll stick with my 636 for now. Mybe upgrade to a 10r one of these days.

Old 12-28-2008, 01:39 AM
1st Gear Member

I never did care for the sound of a V-Twin. I think the 1125CR is a bit better looking than the 1125R. I liked the look of the Firebolt XB12R.

Old 12-28-2008, 08:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Yea, my first bike being a mid cc Kawi, the vtwin sounded like an inline in need of a tune up! I don’t mind the sound..and I agree the Firebolt and the CR do catch my eye-and (except for the Rotax engine) something American and different in the sea of rice rockets is cool- but pure performance and price- the U.S. has been surpassed for a while I guess.
I wouldn’t mind having a Buell in the stable...then I can go to Sturgis and not get too much crap. lol

Mutt bikes are interesting-
Check out this monster: http://thekneeslider.com/archives/20...-v-roehr-1130/

I haven't ridden a Japanese vtwin- I will make sure I do.
Maybe... you start out Jap... you never go back.

Old 12-29-2008, 12:28 AM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, I saw that thing in Cycle World.

Old 12-29-2008, 02:31 AM
1st Gear Member

Twins could have their place...but neither of those are my style. Your RC sounds good though asz....looks good too!

Old 12-29-2008, 02:50 AM
1st Gear Member
Old 12-29-2008, 04:52 AM
The Dude
1st Gear Member

I love my RC and the instant torque it has. I don't know if its just my imagination but my 636 felt faster. I use a lot less throttle when riding my RC but it doesn't have that hard high rpm kick so it doesn't feel as fast as the 636 but it leaves 600cc's bikes while getting on it.

Old 12-29-2008, 01:01 PM
1st Gear Member

xb9 is what I want for my next bike

Quick Reply: Buell test ride - curious