Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

A bike finally wins the battle against deer.

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 03:37 PM
1st Gear Member
Default A bike finally wins the battle against deer.

It does my heart good to see a motorcycle come out on top of a crash with our little furry foes. I bet these people had to clean out their pants after this one

I have seen way too many deer and moose car accidents and I gotta say, the car normally fairs as well as the animal, a wreck. But this story is pretty amazing. It’s hard to believe that this accident was not a car vs. deer, but a motorcycle. Moose and deer usually smash up the car, but, the bike riders were just fine and the bike came out of it in one piece.
These 2 motorcycle riders are so lucky! It’s hard to believe that they did not get hurt. This is really an amazing bike accident.
Here is the story from the driver of the motorcycle:
This from Roy and Heidi with the Colorado High Country Cruisers:
It was a beautiful morning in Southwest Colorado as we heading out of the canyon on highway 145 for highway 92 and the Dallas Divide. Nice ride out of the canyon from Telluride to highway 92 where we turned to head over the Dallas Divide. Made it over the divide and headed downhill to Ridgeway at a nice leisurely pace.
A few miles from Ridgeway we rounded a nice easy corner onto a long straight section of highway, nice clear road ahead, running right at about the speed limit of 60 mph. Then in an instant all hell breaks loose with the front end of the bike!
There is a big jolt, the bike starts to fishtail violently and the front end goes from lock to lock about 3 times. Somehow I get control of the bike and we’re heading in a straight line again with plenty of straight road ahead and I’m yelling on the intercom to Heidi that we’re ok as the biggest thought running through my mind at that instant is that Heidi must be freaking out back there.
I grab for the clutch lever to downshift, what the hell, there ISN’T a clutch lever! It was at this moment that I finally realize that we must have hit something, although all I can remember seeing is clear road ahead before the impact. So, I hit the kill switch to shut off the engine, and not knowing what has really happened, I elected to stay off the brakes and just let the bike coast down the road until I had lost enough speed to ease it over to the shoulder and stop.
Now I usually have to wait for Heidi to get off the bike before starting to get off myself, but the first thing I notice the instant the bike gets stopped is Heidi standing to the left of me with the intercom cord stretched about 3 feet. I guess she wanted off that bike!
I motion to her to unplug the intercom cord and then look down toward the front wheel of the bike, what the hell! There laying at the right side of the wheel is the deer we had just hit and then dragged down the highway.

I get off the bike, attempt to control the shaking, check on Heidi, and then walk around to the front of the bike. What a mess! EVERY single piece of plastic on the front end of the bike was broken, front fender bent, radiator punctured, large dents in both sides of the tank, clutch lever broken off, front wheel completely covered in blood, deer laying there with it’s guts spilling out onto the shoulder, and deer **** everywhere!
A gentleman that had been behind us approached, checked to make sure we were all right, and then got right on the phone and made the 911 call for help. He then stayed with us until helped arrive and described to me what had happened. Right after we had came out of the corner onto the straight section of highway, a group of 4 deer bounding up from the right without any hesitation at all directly into us. I struck one directly mid body and he said another actually clipped the rear of the bike and somersaulted off the road to the left behind us. I NEVER saw a single deer until we had come to a stop and saw the one we had hit. And I was watching for wildlife the entire time we had been on the road, even before the impact I can remember coming out the corner scanning ahead to both sides of the road and seeing nothing but clear road ahead.
The only logical reason I can think of that I didn’t see the deer at all was because, one I must have done a mirror check at that precise instant, and two that section of highway is raised above ground to the right. So the only thing that makes sense to me is that I checked the road ahead, saw that it was clear, and then did a quick checked in my left mirror to check behind, and it was at that instant the deer came up from below on our right.
People, Heidi and I are SO LUCKY with this accident! In this case the circumstances of the accident added up in our favor, allowing me to get control of the bike back so that we both could walked away completely unhurt. But it could just have easily ended up the other way!
There are two things I feel helped us walked away from this. One, the circumstances of the accident, size of the deer we hit, plenty of straight road ahead at time of impact, didn’t see the impact coming (Yes I really think this helped as I didn’t have time to do attempt a swerve or panic break), etc. Two, taking the MSF class and the continuing studying I do on an almost monthly basic by reading motorcycling technique books and constantly thinking about and putting into practice the techniques I have read while riding. When the impact occurred I didn’t panic and I understood what the bike was doing and thus was able to regain control of the bike.

Last edited by Worlok14; 11-25-2008 at 09:43 AM.
Old 10-15-2008, 03:52 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

wow lucky rider!

Old 10-15-2008, 04:11 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

holy crap.....

Old 10-15-2008, 05:08 PM
1st Gear Member

holy smokes batman!! he and his woman lucked out on that one!!!

Old 10-15-2008, 05:09 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Actually this is the way to go.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5CkE0ePAs8

Old 10-15-2008, 06:16 PM
1st Gear Member

That guy was even luckier than the couple on the big bike. 99% of the time on a sportbike, your gonnna get hurt pretty bad.

Old 10-15-2008, 06:36 PM
1st Gear Member

I have no idea how he didn't notice he had a deer under him
I have no ability to imagine a situation where I wouldn't notice my clutch lever breaking off or the plastics shattering. The passenger saw enough how did the driver not?

maybe some sort of mental block of the incident itself

Old 10-15-2008, 06:44 PM
1st Gear Member

reminds me of the CBR vs Coyte

Old 10-15-2008, 07:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Kohburn
I have no idea how he didn't notice he had a deer under him
I have no ability to imagine a situation where I wouldn't notice my clutch lever breaking off or the plastics shattering. The passenger saw enough how did the driver not?

maybe some sort of mental block of the incident itself

Yeah I was thinking the same thing myself. Like how in the deuce do you hit a deer and not know you have hit it???? That would make a significant impact. Even hitting small bumps and potholes on the road you feel every bit of it. It sucks!

Old 10-16-2008, 01:38 AM
1st Gear Member

remember that guy in japan that took his leg off on a gurad rail riding a 14 and didnt notice til he tried to put his foot down at a gas station??

its called pcp. it messes you up.

Quick Reply: A bike finally wins the battle against deer.