Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

Attention florida riders!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 03:57 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Attention florida riders!!

saw this on another site:

Please pay attention to this. Now's the time to vote if you don't already. Please check the following links for important information concerning your rights as a motorcycle rider.

This bill is scheduled to go in front of the Florida House of Representatives for consideration:

http://www.myfloridahouse.gov/Sectio...7&Session=2008

The long ang the short of it is any motorcyclist (specifically motorcyclist) who is charged for speeding >30mph over, or reckless driving, on the first offense, is subject to seizure and forfeiture of their motorcycle, permanent revocation of their motorcycle endorsement, and imprisonment.

Contact your representative here:

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Welcome/index.cfm

I can not stress to you how important it is that this law not be passed. Please do all you can to ensure this bill does not happen.

Please!!

--->moderator please spread the word

Old 10-16-2007, 04:32 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Attention florida riders!!

That is bullsh*t!

Old 10-16-2007, 04:33 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Yeah, pretty disturbing, seen that one on another site as well.

Old 10-16-2007, 04:34 AM
The Dude
1st Gear Member

The AMA is fighting it to make sure it doesn't get passed.

Old 10-16-2007, 11:05 PM
1st Gear Member

What really pisses me off, is that they are singling outmotorcycles riders, as if we were all criminals, what about cars, one of the many reasons why I dislike going to south Florida is because of the car drivers down there, I was once passed by a Porsche turbo (I think) going about 150mph, and then the fact that everybody there speeds, you actually run a bigger risk on your life if you go 70mph (speed limit) than if you speed at about 85-90 while on the highway.

Old 10-17-2007, 01:21 AM
1st Gear Member

Seizure for first offense?!? Reckless driving is pretty subjective too, that gives way too much power to the police (I hear they get pretty cranky around bike week)
Anything we nonfloridians can do to help?

Old 10-17-2007, 02:02 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Attention Florida riders!!

IMHO this is minor compared to what some local small cities are trying to do in S. Florida......technically it's illegal to restrict ANY licensed vehicle from utilizing a federally subsidized roadway 2 wheels or 4, but they are trying. If they succeed here ya better watch out!

150 bikers gather to protest Delray's proposed ban on motorcycles
By Maria Herrera | South Florida Sun-Sentinel
6:21 PM EDT, October 16, 2007

Delray Beach - About 150 bikers showed up at City Hall Tuesday evening to protest a proposed ban on motorcycles from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. on five blocks of Atlantic Avenue between Swinton and Fifth avenues.

"It's an uneducated thing they are trying to do," said Dale Graham, a Jupiter resident with the U.S. Military Vets Motorcycle Club. "If you start outlawing bikes, then what will it be next?"

The bikers said that if the ban is approved, they fear other cities might follow with similar measures. And they say what Delray Beach is proposing is illegal. They say are protected by the Florida statute, which says: "Any person operating a motorcycle or moped shall be granted all of the same rights and shall be subject to all of the duties applicable to the driver of any other vehicle..."
[/align][/align]Officials said they've received numerous complaints from shops and restaurants about the noise.

Mayor Rita Ellis the city's noise control ordinance is unenforceable downtown. Officers on foot patrol downtown on the weekends can't exactly chase after violators, she said. They also need to be equipped with state-approved decibel readers and stand close to the violator to get accurate readings.

But David Riani, who owns a business just off Atlantic Avenue, wonders how he will get to work if the city approves this ban. He said bikers patronized Atlantic Avenue long before the redevelopment effort took off. "We carried this block when there wasn't a block to carry," Riani said.

Old 10-17-2007, 02:10 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Talca

What really pisses me off, is that they are singling outmotorcycles riders, as if we were all criminals, what about cars, one of the many reasons why I dislike going to south Florida is because of the car drivers down there, I was once passed by a Porsche turbo (I think) going about 150mph, and then the fact that everybody there speeds, you actually run a bigger risk on your life if you go 70mph (speed limit) than if you speed at about 85-90 while on the highway.
True Dat.....I live down here and I-95 REQUIRES one to go 80 minimum. And you'll still get passed by a tractor trailer scooting at 90+. Never mind the cages.......a ktm 640 adv ain't meant for that $hit.

Old 10-17-2007, 02:38 AM
1st Gear Member

man, 90 on a DS would be scary, and awesome at the same time. But yeah banning bikes in a city?? What if your just passing through?

Old 10-17-2007, 03:28 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm sure the ban wouldn't stand up to a challenge. Motorcycles are registered motor vehicles in the state ofFlorida, and I imagine that DOT laws would protect you from local regulations like that. Iam sending a email to my rep right now, and the sponsor.

Quick Reply: Attention florida riders!!