Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

Apple... What do you think....

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Apple... What do you think....

Dam wonder what time the apple store opens

Old 08-21-2006, 06:17 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm a mac junkie, I've been using them since I was wee little tyke (okay I'm still short but now I'm old). BB's right, viruses are made to exploit weak points in an operating system. Apple is generally free of virus attacks becuase most hackers haven't spent time trying to exploit the security in the operating system. In addition, until the recent release of the Intel based macs, Apple computers used a different processor structure that made them completely impervious to anything designed for an intel chip. It will be interesting to see if Apple can maintain their clean bill of health now that they are using the same processor structure as all those wintel machines. I still have a 6 year old 12" iBook I use for school and still love as well as one of the original flat screen iMacs. Both run like a champ despite general neglect (i.e. I don't install regular updates or perform your basic house cleaning tasks).

Here is another advantage to Apple, integegration. Apple is designed to work seamlessly with your digital products. For example, you finally buy that shiny new Canon Digital EOS you have had your eye on, you bring it home, you plug it into your USB port and....BAM! the MAC asks you if you want to start up iPhoto and begin a new library, it will mount the memory card on your desktop as another drive and all of this without downloading updates/drivers from Micro$oft or Canon. Also, because apple designs their computers to work as an integrated whole rather than rummaging around in Frye's "Build Your Own Computer" bin of mis-matched parts, they are more reliable.

finally, although it makes me feel dirty to admit it, the New Intel based Macs can use Bootcamp to turn your Mac into a dual boot system meaning you have the option to start up in apple mode or windoze mode.

Ooh, I've really geeked out here. ....Why didn't someone stop me....?

Old 08-21-2006, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: technophile

I'm a mac junkie, I've been using them since I was wee little tyke (okay I'm still short but now I'm old). BB's right, viruses are made to exploit weak points in an operating system. Apple is generally free of virus attacks becuase most hackers haven't spent time trying to exploit the security in the operating system. In addition, until the recent release of the Intel based macs, Apple computers used a different processor structure that made them completely impervious to anything designed for an intel chip. It will be interesting to see if Apple can maintain their clean bill of health now that they are using the same processor structure as all those wintel machines. I still have a 6 year old 12" iBook I use for school and still love as well as one of the original flat screen iMacs. Both run like a champ despite general neglect (i.e. I don't install regular updates or perform your basic house cleaning tasks).

Here is another advantage to Apple, integegration. Apple is designed to work seamlessly with your digital products. For example, you finally buy that shiny new Canon Digital EOS you have had your eye on, you bring it home, you plug it into your USB port and....BAM! the MAC asks you if you want to start up iPhoto and begin a new library, it will mount the memory card on your desktop as another drive and all of this without downloading updates/drivers from Micro$oft or Canon. Also, because apple designs their computers to work as an integrated whole rather than rummaging around in Frye's "Build Your Own Computer" bin of mis-matched parts, they are more reliable.

finally, although it makes me feel dirty to admit it, the New Intel based Macs can use Bootcamp to turn your Mac into a dual boot system meaning you have the option to start up in apple mode or windoze mode.

Ooh, I've really geeked out here. ....Why didn't someone stop me....?
Nice info and thanks.
As far as geeking out, look at your screen name, we could not have stopped you even if we wanted too lol.

Old 08-21-2006, 09:30 PM
Super Moderator

More questions: what about wireless? Connecting to my existing print servers and wireless networks. Wifi places like Starbucks and wireless broadband.

Old 08-21-2006, 09:39 PM
Super Moderator

I found this on Apple's website (if you need to know any info - let me know - I'm pretty good at finding the answers, if I don't know them, comes from working on an IT helpdesk!)

Apple's Website

"Note: Wireless Internet access requires an AirPort Card, AirPort Base Station, and an Internet service provider, for which fees may apply. Some ISPs are not compatible with AirPort. America Online (AOL) works with AirPort software version 2.0 or later. For more information on AOL compatibility, see technical document 106591: "AirPort: How to Use with AOL". Range may vary with site conditions."

Here is a link to the article

Old 08-21-2006, 09:45 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

I've never tried to share printers with Windows buy my understanding is that it works. I can't comment on how well. As far as wireless at Starbuck or whereever, that is seemless - very easy. Depending on your options you have set, you can make it automatically connect to the strongest signal, connect only to the ones you allow, present a list of all the ones it finds and connect to the one you select, etc. I spent a few weeks traveling in CA and NV last year and didn't have any trouble with any wifi including the various hotels' wifi with our PowerBook.

Stop by your Apple Store and check'em out - they generally have at least one of each model set up and you can try out the various applications and get a feel for what they are like. Just don't sit down in front of the the big PowerMac with the 30" Cinima display. Trust me. Or if you do, make sure you left your credit card at home

Old 08-21-2006, 09:58 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes

I've never tried to share printers with Windows buy my understanding is that it works. I can't comment on how well. As far as wireless at Starbuck or whereever, that is seemless - very easy. Depending on your options you have set, you can make it automatically connect to the strongest signal, connect only to the ones you allow, present a list of all the ones it finds and connect to the one you select, etc. I spent a few weeks traveling in CA and NV last year and didn't have any trouble with any wifi including the various hotels' wifi with our PowerBook.

Stop by your Apple Store and check'em out - they generally have at least one of each model set up and you can try out the various applications and get a feel for what they are like. Just don't sit down in front of the the big PowerMac with the 30" Cinima display. Trust me. Or if you do, make sure you left your credit card at home
I hear you on leaving the CC at home. I looked at them yesterday and like them just want the end user opinion with some experience.

I like the lesser models because I do not use it for gaming or the graphics, word processing, accounting programs, email and of course internet. I have also checked out the comparability with quick books and payroll services and it looks good as well for us.
Also I seem to have the bad habit of taking out my anger on my expensive electronics especially after I have been working on a project for hours and then they crash and I loose everything [:@] it's a problem I am working on

How will I act though if my computer stops crashing and doesn't get any more virus's anymore, what to do with the extra time?

May be a lame question but if you do not worry about virus's anymore do you still have virus protection software?

Old 08-21-2006, 09:58 PM
Super Moderator

Okay its been eight or so years since I worked with Apple stuff - so bear with me!

At the newspaper, we had a Windows NT network and a Unix network. I didn't do much with the Unix side of things.

I never found it to be difficult to get the Mac's onto the network (thanks to the fact they can be set to use TCP/IP) None of them ever had any problems accessing the network printers either. I actually liked working on them, they were easier to figure out! But that was also not a wireless setup - I honestly don't have much experience with that. But as long as it is a pretty close set up to regular networks, you should have no problem.

Old 08-21-2006, 10:00 PM
Super Moderator

There are still viruses out there - just not as many and you don't hear about them as often. I would get it, if you're going to be on the net!

Old 08-21-2006, 10:02 PM
Super Moderator

Ah more research wander of Symantic makes software for the mac?

thanks for the network answers too bb.

Quick Reply: Apple... What do you think....