Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

anyone have kids in mx?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 02:30 PM
1st Gear Member
Default anyone have kids in mx?

i took the plunge and let the little one race for the first time. it was kinda of a pain since hes on a crf50 it was hard to find a place for him. working on the wife right now to get him on a 65. he is 8 right now and will have to move up anyway.

was shocked to see how much some of these guys have into it. full on race trailers 3-4 bikes for the same class. and here i am unloading a crf50 out the back of a suv.

Old 03-25-2010, 02:32 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

good stuff man! qaulity time right there!

Old 03-25-2010, 04:01 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Its not about what you have or what you have to haul it, don't compare yourself to anyone else. What counts is that you are doing something with your son, that is priceless..........I gotta go I got something in my eye again.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:32 PM
1st Gear Member

+1 Deej
No real rider will look down on your cage, as long as you brought the ride.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:49 PM
1st Gear Member

nah im not comparing i just wonder how the hell do they pay for it all. plus by time you have a full race trailer practice bike, back up bike, race bike and pit bike plus a ton of spare parts i would think it would have to go beyond fun and start becoming a chore( for dad and child).
i pulled up with a small tool box and a prayer that nothing would break that would need to be replaced.
i had put the bike back to stock that morning. while in the pits i asked around what was legal and what wasnt. 20 min before practice i looked at my son and said were putting "the pipe" ( a fast 50's pipe) back on. he got happy and there we were working together like a well oiled pit crew. took us all of about 5 min lol. but he loves the way it sounds and rides way faster just because of it.
i wish i could find him a small sponsor or two just to help pay for some of the gate and race fees.

good news was this morning i hit the wife up with "how much would you be willing to spend on a new bike for him" and i got a lets talk about it this weekend not a "he aint getting a new bike" that i usually get.

still undecided though new kx65 or used ktm

Old 04-03-2010, 06:48 AM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

it can be a pain and it can get real expensive. depends on how far you want to push him and how far finances will allow it.

Old 04-03-2010, 07:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by tucaz#2
nah im not comparing i just wonder how the hell do they pay for it all. plus by time you have a full race trailer practice bike, back up bike, race bike and pit bike plus a ton of spare parts i would think it would have to go beyond fun and start becoming a chore( for dad and child).
i pulled up with a small tool box and a prayer that nothing would break that would need to be replaced.
i had put the bike back to stock that morning. while in the pits i asked around what was legal and what wasnt. 20 min before practice i looked at my son and said were putting "the pipe" ( a fast 50's pipe) back on. he got happy and there we were working together like a well oiled pit crew. took us all of about 5 min lol. but he loves the way it sounds and rides way faster just because of it.
i wish i could find him a small sponsor or two just to help pay for some of the gate and race fees.

good news was this morning i hit the wife up with "how much would you be willing to spend on a new bike for him" and i got a lets talk about it this weekend not a "he aint getting a new bike" that i usually get.

still undecided though new kx65 or used ktm
Compare the cost of maintaining each. Pistons, rings, levers and such.

Old 04-03-2010, 10:05 PM
1st Gear Member

lol, I never thought of basing a buy decision on the price of levers, makes sense tho...

Old 04-04-2010, 09:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Prom
lol, I never thought of basing a buy decision on the price of levers, makes sense tho...
As an example, KX85-piston kit,105.76 brake lever 29.28. CRF80- piston kit 71.32, brake lever 22.85. KTM 85- piston kit 108.41, brake lever 49.96. It does'nt hurt to take all that into consideration.

Old 04-04-2010, 11:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
Its not about what you have or what you have to haul it, don't compare yourself to anyone else. What counts is that you are doing something with your son, that is priceless....

:spoton:

I have an 8 yr old racing in the 50 Sr class, He races a KTM Sr Pro, We have one bike but Im looking for a 65 for him to practice on, Depending on your sons size an birth date he may still be able to race 50 till next yr, At this age all thats important is that he is out there having fun, just cause some of these kids are out tearing it up at a young age does not garauntee that they will be a success later

I'm a Kawasaki guy but IMO KTM makes the best 50 bikes, 65 85 het a KX, Bullet proof really

If you ever need any advise on whatever you want to know about 50cc bike, KTMTalk has a thread called the bible, Check it out

Hope it was OK to recommend that :bc:

Quick Reply: anyone have kids in mx?