Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

Anyone an expert on Rabbits? *NEW PICS*

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 07:16 PM
Default RE: Anyone an expert on Rabbits?

Crap Blue!!! Sorry to hear about the babe. The other guys seem to be fine though? Good luck again with em

Old 06-19-2006, 07:21 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Notstock

I like them with mild seasoning and on the bbq, cook till all the pink is out and you're good to go.

JK bluebird I could not resist, I am sick and need help. [&o]

Sorry about the baby bunnies but like tx said if they were touched by anyone and have a bad sent to the mom she will not take care of them. You will have to feed them every few hours with a small baby doll bottle, a toy one does work, with whole milk. You may want to get a book on caring for bunny or call the vet he will be able to give good advice.

Also find out if the two adult bunnies are male and female, if so separate asap or you will become over run by baby bunnies very soon.

Good luck and sorry again about the tasteless joke.
We got some small bottles that work great for them. They are on a goat's milk, cream and kitten milk replacement mixture. The seem to really like it. They are fed every 12 hours.

I have talked to three different vets and each one of them had a different view on how I should look after them. One of the vets even came out and said he didn't know anything about rabbits.

Hopefully what I'm doing will be okay, I just kind of combined a bunch of info together from the internet and what the other two vets said - I'm crossing my fingers.

NS - you do need help! j/k (I have a good sense of humor - I can take it!) Personally, rosemary makes a very good seasoning! j/k

Old 06-19-2006, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: shon

Crap Blue!!! Sorry to hear about the babe. The other guys seem to be fine though? Good luck again with em
Yeah it sucks about the poor little guy. Two of them are pretty much the same size and one is a bit smaller (looks like a runt, which of course makes him look even cuter!). They eat like pigs, I really enjoy looking after them, that is until the pee on me [:'(]

Old 06-19-2006, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry to here about the mom running away, probably just freaked out due to the move. My friend has rabbit and it roams hi yard and even goes out front but not far at all, it knows where the food is and is happy with its surroundings.

The babies will be good and as long as they are cared for they will probably be good pets. Just keep to one sex or you will be in the bunny business whether you want to be or not lol

Old 06-19-2006, 07:31 PM

HAHAHA I have the same problem with frogs. Every time I pick one up they pee on me [:@]

Old 06-19-2006, 07:36 PM
Super Moderator

Trust me, these little guys are getting the next best thing to their mom (cripes, I have been getting out of bed at 6:30 in the morning to feed them - even on the weekend and I am NOT a morning person!)

A friend of mine used to work at a vet clinic as a vet technician - she is going to check out the sex of the bunnies for me. I don't want to be in the bunny business - I never want to go through this again!

Old 06-19-2006, 07:37 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: shon

HAHAHA I have the same problem with frogs. Every time I pick one up they pee on me [:@]
I haven't picked up a frog in probably twenty years! Gotta love animals!

Old 06-20-2006, 01:53 AM
1st Gear Member

were both adult rabbits in the same cage when the one had babies? If the father rabbit is nearby, or has access to the babies, he will kill them also, the mother wont take care of the babies if he is close. We went thru this when I was young w/ about 3 litters of babies before someone filled us in. We had to move the male rabbit out of the backyard completely and into the garage. Sorry the advice is so late though.

Old 06-20-2006, 03:13 PM
Super Moderator

Actually both rabbits that we got were female. One of them just happened to be pregnant when we got them. I think the problem was the fact that she was young, moved to a new home and then the babies. It was probably her first litter.

Not too much we can do now, cross our fingers and hope these little guys make it. Apparently it is pretty hard to hand raise them. Survival rates are low according to a couple of people I talked to.

But so far the three that I have left are doing great. I'm not really worried at all about two of them, but one is pretty small compared to the others. But it eats just as well, maybe he/she is just 'dainty'!

Old 06-20-2006, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator

Same sex parents, it's everywhere. lol

With lots of attention and care they will be fine I am sure.

Quick Reply: Anyone an expert on Rabbits? *NEW PICS*